PDA

View Full Version : q. for those who've moved to caithness

seren
15-Jul-07, 13:20
how much roughly did it cost you to move? i just need a ball park figure as all the removals firms i've contacted round here want to come and do a complete inventory of the house before giving me a quote.
i've always moved myself in the past with a 7.5 tonne truck but that's going to be impossible if we move to caithness from the south of england.
:confused

davem
15-Jul-07, 13:27
I'd contact Caithness firms for quotes. Eezy move or Colin MacKenzie find them in the business index.
It's a big deal for a firm from the south to go this far, they do it all the time.
When we moved caithness movers were half the price of local firms

changilass
15-Jul-07, 13:28
I would go with the truck, you can always return it and catch the bus or train back up.

I have only ever used a removal company once and I would never do it again, cost a fortune and had quite a few breakages.

See if you can't get a few frineds and family involved, at least that way they will know where you live and its nice to have some friendly faces around.

NickInTheNorth
15-Jul-07, 13:31
I'd contact Caithness firms for quotes. Eezy move or Colin MacKenzie find them in the business index.
It's a big deal for a firm from the south to go this far, they do it all the time.
When we moved caithness movers were half the price of local firms

£120 :D

But that was a diy job, hiring a van.

However when we moved from Yorkshire to the West Coast several years ago we found it was much cheaper circa 50% to use a removal company local to the area we were moving to rather than one local to us in Leeds.

from speaking to several other people including a couple that moved from Devon to the West Coast they all had similar experiences.

HTH

jake
15-Jul-07, 13:33
It cost us (or rather the company partner works for) £2,500 at the end of last year! That was just from the Dundee area but it was a full pack and unpack service

Valerie Campbell
15-Jul-07, 13:58
We used Colin Mackenzie and were really pleased with them. It cost less than £900 and they were really good- and nothing was damaged! I would recommend them.

bluelady
15-Jul-07, 14:08
My husband hired a 7.5 tonne truck from Reading and moved up all the furniture etc one weekend. He then drove back and came up again later in his car. He hired the truck for the weekend so we could unload without rush and hassle :)

seren
15-Jul-07, 14:12
We used Colin Mackenzie and were really pleased with them. It cost less than £900 and they were really good- and nothing was damaged! I would recommend them.

where did you move from? that sounds an excellent price!
i've contacted the 3 movers with website in the business directory, thanks for the advice peeps ;):D

Valerie Campbell
15-Jul-07, 16:52
We moved up from near Stirling. They really are very good.

steveler
15-Jul-07, 17:18
When i moved, i too moved myself. I bought a 7.5t lorry off ebay moved house and horses in one go and saved myself about £7,000 in the process!

If you hire the services of a large naitonal firm they only hire the staff from local companies tho and do you think they give you a discount for the cheaper local labour??

If you dont do it yourself go with a Caithness firm, but book a very long way in advance to avoid disappointment.

neepnipper
15-Jul-07, 19:13
We did 2 runs over 6 days from Devon in a 7.5 tonne truck, think it cost about £300 in fuel plus hire of truck then we drove up in separate cars for the final trip. was knackered!

Tristan
15-Jul-07, 19:16
Pickfords has an approximator on their web page which seems to be accurate for size of house and distance.
We went for Colin Mackenzie in the end (very good) but Pickfords were not that much (10% ish) more so their house size and distance calculator should be a good guide.
Keep in mind it is cheaper to move in the middle in the month.

BRIE
15-Jul-07, 23:37
we found if you hired a van from a nationwide company you could drop the van back off at the depot nearest to here.:D
Or get a friend to help you move so they can take the van back with them.