PDA

View Full Version : unwanted sales call or scam

robbain
14-Jul-07, 03:53
I was fast asleep, just got a phonecall from a call centre, overseas - india, unable to understand the bloke, I am asked him what he wanted, only make my surname and asking for credit card details, that was only thing I understood. I told him its 3.00 am and why was he phoning, he didn't understand what I said, and then I hung up. Now I am awake.

paris
14-Jul-07, 07:42
Im on orange for my pc , recently i kept getting phone calls from them which i thought were about orange mobiles so before they had time to ask any real questions i said no thanks and put the phone down.. weeks later after another thousand phone calls i got talking to a lady from orange and what they had actually been trying to do was send me a wireless box for an extra £2 a month and in return i would make great savings via phone calls :lol: If only i had listened the first time...LOL jan x

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 07:43
I was fast asleep, just got a phonecall from a call centre, overseas - india, unable to understand the bloke, I am asked him what he wanted, only make my surname and asking for credit card details, that was only thing I understood. I told him its 3.00 am and why was he phoning, he didn't understand what I said, and then I hung up. Now I am awake.

Asking for credit card details? Sounds like they are trying to catch sleepy people unawares!

Well done for hanging up - sorry about the loss of sleep though.

soccermom
14-Jul-07, 08:01
This is my first post so apologies to you all for changing tack slightly - have any of you had the recorded "government message" about debt? Got this the other day but put the phone down after a few seconds. I'm registered with the telephone preference thing so we shouldn't get any odd calls should we? Also there's a persistent double glazing person who won't take the hint either. Can anyone just pick up the phone book and cold call?

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 08:07
This is my first post so apologies to you all for changing tack slightly - have any of you had the recorded "government message" about debt? Got this the other day but put the phone down after a few seconds. I'm registered with the telephone preference thing so we shouldn't get any odd calls should we? Also there's a persistent double glazing person who won't take the hint either. Can anyone just pick up the phone book and cold call?

I suppose anyone can, as you say, pick up the phone book and cold call. I agree with you that it is very annoying when you have (as we have) registered with the telephone preference thingy.

poppett
14-Jul-07, 11:03
Not only can they pick up the phone book and call, it is also quite easy from the number format within a town to work out the millions of combinations of folk who prefer to be ex-directory. If you challenge them on this, as I have done, they just say they misdialled the number!