PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast?

karia
13-Jul-07, 17:55
Hi Guys,

Following on from Lolabelle's morning cuppa thread,...

..What do you eat for breakfast?

I know some people like a 'hearty' start to the day while others can't face more than coffee.
I usually have a roll with cold meat & salad,..bacon butty if on hols.
Couldn't face cereal,..too sweet! I keep intending to have oatmeal but it somehow never happens.

My OH, on the other hand, sometimes has three breakfasts.:roll:
( he gets up really early! )

What do you have?

Karia

Ricco
13-Jul-07, 18:02
Ah, now... I have a glass of cranberry juice and a bowl of muesli with either a sliced banana or blueberries in. 1st cuppa is at about 7.30 at work. Now that summer is here (it is.... isn't it? :eek:) I shall be moving on to smoothies with my cereal.

Solus
13-Jul-07, 18:04
Tin of red bull and usually a bit of fruit and thats me until mid afternoon

laguna2
13-Jul-07, 18:19
If I have time - yoghurt and fruit. If I don't have time - coffee.

karia
13-Jul-07, 18:19
Tin of red bull and usually a bit of fruit and thats me until mid afternoon

When, presumably, you re-enter the sratasphere at 100mph!;)

Karia

karia
13-Jul-07, 18:36
Hi Laguna2 & Ricco,

Very healthy options may I say,..but Ricco do not get me started on 'smoothies'.[evil]

Too late!.... Smoothies are an evil entity,how can you have a 'drink' with bananas in?
Have you ever thought ' oh I'm a bit thirsty think I'll have a banana to quench it,'.. No, and with good reason, I say![disgust]

Me & smoothies, not a match made in heaven!

Karia

laguna2
13-Jul-07, 18:40
Hi Laguna2 & Ricco,

Very healthy options may I say,..but Ricco do not get me started on 'smoothies'.[evil]

Too late!.... Smoothies are an evil entity,how can you have a 'drink' with bananas in?
Have you ever thought ' oh I'm a bit thirsty think I'll have a banana to quench it,'.. No, and with good reason, I say![disgust]

Karia

I am with you Karia!!! Smoothies are 'orrible!!!!!!

karia
13-Jul-07, 18:46
Thank you Laguna2!:D

They are, aren't they?

God knows why they are so popular! OH loves them so there are always new varieties in the fridge, I try them all,..fool that I am,..but no, never met a nice one yet.

Good to know I'm not alone.:lol:

Nice to hear from you!

karia

laguna2
13-Jul-07, 18:49
Thank you Laguna2!:D

They are, aren't they?

God knows why they are so popular! OH loves them so there are always new varieties in the fridge, I try them all,..fool that I am,..but no, never met a nice one yet.

Good to know I'm not alone.:lol:

Nice to hear from you!

karia

I know that they are supposed to be good for you - but like you just can't say that any of them are nice.

I am sure that there are lots of other smoothie haters out there - they are just afraid to stand up and be counted.

Hope you are OK?

Laguna

thickrodney
13-Jul-07, 19:39
Porage with a wee drop of caithness honey

horseman
13-Jul-07, 19:41
Weetabix n milk, no sugar,then large mug o tea,on Sundays porridge,an toast with the tea an I can't wait for the Sunday option.
Never varys either, cept' for hol's of course.:)

NickInTheNorth
13-Jul-07, 19:46
Toasted marmite :)

Or porridge.

Usually with a nice cup of tea.

Sometimes nice home made marmalade or jam on freshly baked bread.

Or if there's some left over pizza and the kids don't beat me to it that goes down a treat.

golach
13-Jul-07, 19:47
Good old plain Scots porridge, with a slight dusting of salt and a mug of strong black coffee.
Sunday is a slice of toast and a coffee and a traditional Scottish Breakfast with fruit juice for Brunch

Fluff
13-Jul-07, 19:52
Usually bran flakes and semi skimmed milk with a small glass of tropicana. Sometimes if i am on a late shift (and wont eat again for about 6 hours) i will have some wholemeal toast.
if i am feeling bad i will have white bread.

Angela
13-Jul-07, 19:56
Fruit -currently nectarine or a slice of melon -wholemeal toast, sometimes with an egg.
Orange juice, usually.

Porridge is for supper...with a spot of single cream. :D

Ash
13-Jul-07, 19:56
mines is normally toast and brussels pate or poached eggs on toast with a cup of tea! mmmmm!

karia
13-Jul-07, 19:58
Weetabix n milk, no sugar,then large mug o tea,on Sundays porridge,an toast with the tea an I can't wait for the Sunday option.
Never varys either, cept' for hol's of course.:)

So why don't you have the 'sunday option' all week ? it sounds healthy enough!

Or is it,...Sunday would'nt be Sunday,...without ??!:D

Karia

htwood
13-Jul-07, 21:04
A nice beeg mug of brewed coffee, then a hardboiled egg and small bowl of porridge or weetabix, with blueberries in summer or half banana in winter. Rarely varies because its guaranteed to keep me going until noon. (and you don't wanna see me with low blood sugar lol)

JimH
13-Jul-07, 21:06
I like my Weetabix - but "Shock - Horror", we ran out the other morning and I just had to make do with bacon and egg, oh and Fried bread and beans. How sad!!

karia
13-Jul-07, 21:24
Hi JimH

My Cholesterol levels go out to you!;)

Karia

corgiman
13-Jul-07, 21:26
Just coffee

Bobinovich
13-Jul-07, 22:03
Tea, and toast with either Duerr's fine cut Seville orange marmalade (yes I am still harping on about the stuff - yum!) or jam.

Occasionally have some cereal, or a wee fry-up if the mood strikes me tho'

WeeBurd
13-Jul-07, 22:11
A cup of tea and two slices of thick bread toasted and smothered in really butter and Aussie honey. Got to be. Every morning. I've no ooommpphhh without it!

Foxy
13-Jul-07, 22:16
We don't have breakfast till 11am and it is usually bacon and egg. :)

sassylass
13-Jul-07, 22:42
Strong tea, and wholemeal toast with cheese or hardboiled egg, or sometimes both.
On the weekends Mr Sassy cooks a fine full breakfast for me ;).

bluelady
13-Jul-07, 22:52
Hubby brings me coffee in bed before he goes to work -my alarm call
then i get up and usually have weetabix with hot milk, no sugar , sometimes with banana, strawberries or raspberries in, then a glass of pomegranite juice to wash down e pills. That lasts me to tea time.

Innes
13-Jul-07, 22:54
I have a choice of muesli,weetabix,porrage,boiled egg and toast and branflakes and banana,or bacon,egg,sausage(square,link,and round),tottie scone,black pudding,fruit pudding,smoked bacon,beans,mushrooms and lots of tea,or if the hangover is realy bad cold curry with naan bread bhoona is ok but to realy sort you out it has to be lamb madras with lot of tea.:eek:

mccaugm
13-Jul-07, 23:12
During the week, porridge with dried fruit and skimmed milk.
At the weekend dry fried cooked breakfast. (Halkirk free range eggs of course and veggie sausages etc)

Margaret M.
14-Jul-07, 00:20
Organic oatmeal, ground flaxseed, wheat germ with rice milk and some kind of fruit. I try to eat healthy meals when I am at home so I can be naughty when I eat out.

Lolabelle
14-Jul-07, 08:15
I can't eat any gluten so there is no toast or cereal and I don't much like gluten free bread.
So I have either fruit salad or a cooked breaky. eg lamb chops & mushrooms, bacon & eggs, scrambled eggs, omlettes or a vegie frittatta.

soccermom
14-Jul-07, 08:26
All this talk of food - I've already had my brekkie (a wee bowl of cereal, low fat milk, dieting again...) and now I'm starving. Don't know if I could cope without bread Lolabelle - must be a pain reading all the packaging and trying to find out what people have put in food.

Lolabelle
14-Jul-07, 08:44
All this talk of food - I've already had my brekkie (a wee bowl of cereal, low fat milk, dieting again...) and now I'm starving. Don't know if I could cope without bread Lolabelle - must be a pain reading all the packaging and trying to find out what people have put in food.

It really is a pain soccermom, going out is a nightmare, I usually settle for hot chips, not good for the diet!!!:confused

Lavenderblue2
14-Jul-07, 09:00
For my breakfast this morning I've just had orange juice followed by strawberries, blueberries and black grapes topped with Total Greek yoghurt and drizzled with Caithness honey - delicious! I then had a cup of Earl Grey tea - black with no sugar.

LB

Ricco
14-Jul-07, 20:46
Hi Laguna2 & Ricco,

Very healthy options may I say,..but Ricco do not get me started on 'smoothies'.

Karia

Ahh, Karia. You need me to make you a smoothie... This morning's had raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, cherries and some watermelon - all whizzed up. Very nice and not a 'nana to be seen. ;)

Ricco
14-Jul-07, 20:48
For my breakfast this morning I've just had orange juice followed by strawberries, blueberries and black grapes topped with Total Greek yoghurt and drizzled with Caithness honey - delicious! I then had a cup of Earl Grey tea - black with no sugar.

LB

LavenderBlue - that sounds delicious - just needs a bit of some crunchy muesli on top. ;)

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 20:49
Ahh, Karia. You need me to make you a smoothie... This morning's had raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, cherries and some watermelon - all whizzed up. Very nice and not a 'nana to be seen. ;)

Smoothies are evil :o

karia
14-Jul-07, 20:53

I'm thinking you know all there is to know about 'smoothies', Ricco,...being one yourself.;)

Karia

Ricco
14-Jul-07, 21:03
I'm thinking you know all there is to know about 'smoothies', Ricco,...being one yourself.;)

Karia

Moi? Mais, non. Not that I have noticed anyway, just easy to get along with. ;)

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 21:05
Moi? Mais, non. Not that I have noticed anyway, just easy to get along with. ;)

You smooth talking rascal ;)

johno
14-Jul-07, 21:58
boiled egg one day. scrambled egg another day, cornflakes another day

porridge another day.wheatabix another day. toast another day.
not in any order but mainly those things in any rotation depending on how i feel & what time i have in the morning,s. fried stuff is out of the question as the frying pan got binned years ago. [lol]

karia
14-Jul-07, 22:12
Hi johno,

Was that a 'policy' choice or did the frying pan just pack its bags?

Serious question!

Karia

rockchick
14-Jul-07, 22:16
One egg, either boiled or fried...and half a bagel with butter.
Glass of citrus juice, and a good mug of coffee.

Never fails to get me moving in the morning...and keeps me going until lunch!

johno
14-Jul-07, 22:23
Hi johno,

Was that a 'policy' choice or did the frying pan just pack its bags?

Serious question!

Karia
hi ,yes it was through choice, mrs johno opted for healthy eating and through time i agreed.
ps, glad now that i did. :Razz

canuck
14-Jul-07, 22:24
One egg, either boiled or fried...and half a bagel with butter.
Glass of citrus juice, and a good mug of coffee.

Never fails to get me moving in the morning...and keeps me going until lunch!

rockchick, it is so great to see that you are keeping in touch with the org. We are having an absolutely fabulous Canadian summer here, one last hurrah for me before I take on those Ediburgh seasons.

Right, this thread is about breakfast. Well, after I check the org each morning over a cup of coffee, I go for a healthy cereal with milk. Remember gals, especially over 50, we still need lots of calcium. (Yes, I was at the doctor's yesterday for my annual check up and got the calcium lecture.)

karia
14-Jul-07, 22:25
Hi rockchick,

Always feel Bagels are somethin' I should love, every decent N Y breakfast involves,... lox, bagels, cream cheese & pastrami !

Mm..maybe not!

Would love to be cool!:roll::lol:

Karia

karia
14-Jul-07, 22:36
Hi canuck,

Get your 'thermals' looked out !

Actually, I got wed in october 1998, and did wear thermals under my silks!;)

Best day of my life however!

Can't do 'dairy', hate soya & see the thread on 'accident prone' to see how much trouble I'm in.:(

karia

canuck
14-Jul-07, 22:42
karia,they have pills for everything. Calcium is a big seller at the pharmacy.

golach
14-Jul-07, 23:13
Right, this thread is about breakfast. Well, after I check the org each morning over a cup of coffee, I go for a healthy cereal with milk. Remember gals, especially over 50, we still need lots of calcium. (Yes, I was at the doctor's yesterday for my annual check up and got the calcium lecture.)
Dont believe her folks, she comes on to the .Org as soon as she wakes, and has a blether with me most days, and I have to remind her to go eat, because she forgets [lol]

Ricco
15-Jul-07, 08:19
Rockchick - lovely to see you again.

Today its poached eggs (2) on toast and some more of that smoothie from yesterday. Might have a cup of tea as well.

rockchick
15-Jul-07, 09:11
rockchick, it is so great to see that you are keeping in touch with the org. We are having an absolutely fabulous Canadian summer here, one last hurrah for me before I take on those Ediburgh seasons.

One of the great joys of the Internet is you can always "visit" Caithness by coming over the Org! I've been lurking for awhile...

I can't drink raw milk, but I now live in a "hard" water area, so apparently can get all my calcium by drinking my eight glasses a day. Something to keep in mind if you buy mineral water! (BTW if you're worried about your calcium intake you shouldn't drink coffee at the same time, as it inhibits calcium absorption.)

Angela
15-Jul-07, 09:28

You're lucky, canuck, I got the "you're at the upper end of the right weight for your height, you could lose a few pounds to be on the safe side" lecture...[evil]

I get enough calcium in my diet, but with the lack of sunshine, probably not the vitamin D needed to absorb it! Don't despair of the Edinburgh weather though, it's a glorious sunny morning here now & hopefully will stay dry for all of St Swithin's Day.

Like you I usually check the Org in the morning -over a mug over tea -before I have breakfast...:lol: