PDA

View Full Version : Is it Just Me

Ash
13-Jul-07, 17:41
Im in no way at all trying to offend anyone! I have recently noticed on the org and news papers that loads of people are giving away dogs that are a year old or more for free, this really baffles me as i know some people probably have valid reasons(well i hope they do) but i think its sad as you know what you are getting yourself in for when you get the animal, we got our puppy few months ago and its still early days and yes he can be a pain but id never consider giving up on him! i mean you wouldnt do this with a child would you?![disgust]

paris
13-Jul-07, 17:52
Totally agree on this one, novelty wears of with some people , dont know why they get them in the first place. I had a great dane but had to part with her after 3 yrs due to me being ill but i wouldnt have parted with her if i was ok. Miss her so much jan x:~(

nanoo
13-Jul-07, 17:53
I could'nt agree with you more Ash. I came from a home where there was always a dog and my father used to tell us to think long and hard about having a pet of our own one day. He always said,you should never give a dog away, because they have feelings too. You would,nt take a child out of one house and deposit them in another would you? We tend to forget, dogs may be dumb animals but they are certainly not stupid.;)

Ash
13-Jul-07, 18:16
Totally agree on this one, novelty wears of with some people , dont know why they get them in the first place. I had a great dane but had to part with her after 3 yrs due to me being ill but i wouldnt have parted with her if i was ok. Miss her so much jan x:~(

I hope you didnt think i was having a go about people who have genuine reasons, sorry

justine
13-Jul-07, 18:26
I have been wondering that myself....We took on bingo who was advertised, not a puppy, but a good dog...Wouldnever think of getting rid...I have grown up with dogs all my life.Before we moved up here we had 2 dogs, a 4yr old Rotti, and 1 14 mth old boxer.Unfortunately we were not able to bring them,my mum took bruno(rotti) and brock went to boxer rehoming centre..Hardest thing we had to do...We have been here three years and wanted to get a dog but said no incase we were going to move, but after the three years we said yes, but to be honest we did not want to go through the puppy stage again, so when BINGO came along we were delighted....I just wish more people could get it that dogs are for life just like your children...Any way i will stop going on, as it is a subject that really gets me wound up...:(

corgiman
13-Jul-07, 18:27
I think it's like red car syndrome, you don't actually notice so much until you have one yourself. If more animals were rehomed at an older age and far higher prices people would hopefully think a bit more before they commit to an animal :roll:

2051donna
13-Jul-07, 20:28
It depends on the situation! Sadly we had to give up Zack at 6 months old + it broke our hearts.. So please dont judge until u know! Il be honest + say i didnt relise how hard work it would be we were naive, we adored that dog but after discovering i was pregnant we knew if we gave him to the right person he would have a better life.. Its not an eay decision there was loads of tears over it! Im happy we made the right decision + fully confident he now at the right home + is happy + getting the walks he deserves.. With my partner + i working one after the over he wasnt getting the long walks he needs so we felt he was suffering..
We faced a fair bit of... Well u knew what you were getting urself into.. But to be honest we probabaly didnt + we still miss him terribly but adament we did the right thing for us..

Ash
13-Jul-07, 21:19
like i said i wasnt having a go, just asking as i was curious!:confused

blondscot
13-Jul-07, 23:28
Its a sad fact that many people take on young animals only to grow tired of them when the cute baby stage is over and then they either rehome them or a welfare society does.
Rabbits suffer like this, they think that baby rabbits are so cute so they get one and then as it grows and the time and energy and also the cost in looking after it properely they tire of it and get rid of them many pet rabbits are released into the wild to survive, cats and dogs suffers from the cute baby syndrome as well:(
If people thought more about the practical side of keeping animals then maybe there would be less of them needing to be rehomed. Some sort of licencing scheme may be the answer!!
However there are those who have to rehome a pet through no fault of their own and they are having to make a very difficult choice,even if it is the best option for the pets welfare, its a choice that i hope i never have to make!!

Margaret M.
14-Jul-07, 00:11
Speaking of rabbits, a wee one has been sitting on my lawn for about an hour just munching away -- I have never seen a rabbit in this area for years. I do wish everyone would think through owning a dog, or any pet, before they commit -- not just base the decision on their situation today or tomorrow. That said, I would rather they give the pet a chance to be rehomed if they are not giving it what it needs. There are too many cads who just drop the pet off somewhere.

Lolabelle
14-Jul-07, 03:26
All us animal loving people must feel the same. I agree with you though Ash, some people do treat pets as disposable. But I have been on both ends of the dilema. I have had to give both a dog and two cats away when my circumstances changed and we were not able to keep the cats. As for the dog, well I gave him to my mum because we didn't have decent fences at the time and he loved staying with them any way as they are retired and he hangs out with dad down the back shed all the time now. But he comes to our place for holidays when mum and dad go away.
And I have taken on Kruger, my male ridgeback, because my brother in law was no longer going to breed them, and he had way too many dogs and he didn't want to just give him to anyone. It took a while for him settle and at times I wondered why I took another dog on, but having said that, I couldn't get rid of him ever!!! He is part of the family and we are commited to them.

Ash
14-Jul-07, 08:48
i was worried about writing this thread as wasnt sure of people reaction to it. and like i said many times im not having a go was just curious, we got alfie few months ago and he is a handful but i love him lots and so does my wee girl so couldnt get rid of him, if both me and my partner worked i very much doubt we would have got him as there would be no one to watch him and that would be unfair...............

2051donna
14-Jul-07, 09:22
Both myself + my partner work but alternate hours so there was always someone at home.. However thats where the prob was cos with a toddler + a baby on way we felt he wasnt getting the walks he needed for being a lab.. With me being pregnant + trying to walk a lab who pulled quite a lot it wasnt easy. He was getting walks round the block when i finished at 8pm.. Which is unfair dogs need long walks sometimes a few times a day.. So we both took a mature decision to give him up.. Not an easy one. My son was attached but it was us who were upset.. We miss him terribly but no matter what people say we DID make the right decision, + i certainly wont rush into getting another animal.. Now he is at a new house + getting walks along Dunnet beach etc every day + still got kids for company.. Thats something we couldnt compete with.. So yeh we may be critised but we felt it was better to give him up while he was young so would adapt to a new family than keep him here with wouldnt have been fair

neepnipper
14-Jul-07, 09:22
I read an ad in Scot Ads the other week 'Wanted mongrol puppy as childs pet', that just annoyed me, presumebly they want a mongrol because it will be cheap or free and that pup will soon grow and what happens then, no puppy for the child, is this child going to clean up when it pees in the house!?
It may be genuine, it was just the way it was worded that annoyed me. Made me think it'll be another unwanted dog in a years time.

Ash
14-Jul-07, 09:25
Both myself + my partner work but alternate hours so there was always someone at home.. However thats where the prob was cos with a toddler + a baby on way we felt he wasnt getting the walks he needed for being a lab.. With me being pregnant + trying to walk a lab who pulled quite a lot it wasnt easy. He was getting walks round the block when i finished at 8pm.. Which is unfair dogs need long walks sometimes a few times a day.. So we both took a mature decision to give him up.. Not an easy one. My son was attached but it was us who were upset.. We miss him terribly but no matter what people say we DID make the right decision, + i certainly wont rush into getting another animal.. Now he is at a new house + getting walks along Dunnet beach etc every day + still got kids for company.. Thats something we couldnt compete with.. So yeh we may be critised but we felt it was better to give him up while he was young so would adapt to a new family than keep him here with wouldnt have been fair

by no means am i criticising u! its just recently there has been loads of animals given away and im not just talking about puppies im on about 7 year old dogs ect, with work a toddler and a baby on the way it wouldve been stressful, so like i said im not criticising:confused

2051donna
14-Jul-07, 09:27
by no means am i criticising u! its just recently there has been loads of animals given away and im not just talking about puppies im on about 7 year old dogs ect, with work a toddler and a baby on the way it wouldve been stressful, so like i said im not criticising:confused

No thats not what i meant.. However some people DO critise you for giving up a dog so early on.. When really depending on reasons why it can be the best thing to do for the dog..

Angela
14-Jul-07, 10:24
I don't have a pet at the moment. I would like to have both a dog and a cat, but right now I couldn't provide even a small dog with enough walks, so that's right out.

I used to have cats, but where I live now it would really have to be a house cat, letting it out would be too dangerous due to the traffic.

I've always felt it was rather cruel keeping a cat in the house, but is it? :confused

One of the cats I used to have very seldom went out -she was a stray we took in and much preferred staying cosy indoors, but the other one ( a rescued cat) was a real wanderer.

What do other Orgers think? Would a mature rescued cat perhaps be quite happy with an indoor life? :confused The last thing I'd want would be to have to return the cat.

Ash
14-Jul-07, 10:36
my mums friend has house cats and then she got an older cat who was quite happy to stay indoors, she regulary takes them out for wee walks on leads(soo cute) i would ask someone at the cattery what they think on this

Angela
14-Jul-07, 10:41
my mums friend has house cats and then she got an older cat who was quite happy to stay indoors, she regulary takes them out for wee walks on leads(soo cute) i would ask someone at the cattery what they think on this

I hadn't thought of leads! ;) yes, I should just ask them, I haven't even been to look at the cats yet, because I don't want to be tempted unless I'm certain I can provide the right home.

Maybe not so many folk want an older cat? :confused

connieb19
14-Jul-07, 11:07
This looks like quite a good idea to teach kids what is involved in looking after a pet before deciding whether to have one.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=17831229&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

henry20
14-Jul-07, 11:14
Angela, it all depends on the nature of the cat. They can be funny things - I had a cat that never settled with me, but was more than happy to move in with the neighbours 2 doors down. She would never have coped with being an indoor cat, but the cats my mum and dad have/had were happy to be indoors a lot even though they could go out. The cat they have now wasn't settled until she got older - now she's a petted lump.

As for dogs, I got mine from the rescue centre. I knew it was a big commitment to take on - especially as he'd been mistreated, but I knew I could give him a good home. However, I didn't realise how much damage he would do - he hated being left on his own, so chewed most of my doors and facings, he regularly 'escaped' from the garden and we had to spend hours locating him - once he was on the opposite side of town and then once as I was running late from work after catching him, I put him to my mums house and he chewed her door trying to get out to find me. I took him on holiday to my sisters and he chewed her kennels trying to get out. He was once seen running around Somerfields when he was tied up briefly while out on a walk. Then one day, I left him in the car while I did something - when I came back, he'd chewed through the seat belt and chewed the door trying to get out. That really was the last straw for me and I tearfully phoned Balmore and asked if I could put him back, but I just couldn't do it. I phoned them back and said I was going to keep him. He is hard work, but I've had him for 6 or so years and I'd be lost without him, but its been far from easy. I doubt I'd get another dog again, but thats not because of the trouble he's been - just the dirt and hair that I would rather be without.

Next time, it'll be a cat, but me & hubby will be fighting over it, so we may get 2.

jinglejangle
14-Jul-07, 15:15
i was worried about writing this thread as wasnt sure of people reaction to it. and like i said many times im not having a go was just curious, we got alfie few months ago and he is a handful but i love him lots and so does my wee girl so couldnt get rid of him, if both me and my partner worked i very much doubt we would have got him as there would be no one to watch him and that would be unfair...............

i know you aren't having a go at anyone but as has been mentioned circumstances change and some people have to unfortunately give up their pets. just being curious - what will happen when you do return to work?

obiron
14-Jul-07, 16:49
i would like a dog but dont know if i would like the responsibility of a puppy. its something im going to have a good think about.

Solus
14-Jul-07, 17:44
Rather than bring everyone down for having to get rid of their dog, has anyone considered why they have to do it ?

Allergies are more prevelant these days, change of house ?, change of family circumstance ? relocating ? dog may not be getting on with the kids or other pets ? Illness ? change in working hours ?

And as for those folk advertising for a mongrol dog, why not, maybe it is because they want a cheaper dog as they may not be able to afford a pedigree but still want their child to have company of a dog. Or maybe they are simply trying to give a mongrol ( often under priviliged ) a home.

Ash
14-Jul-07, 18:51
when i return to work he will no longer be a puppy, he will be slightly older and will get long walks at night

im not slating people just asking if people knew why!

cuddlepop
14-Jul-07, 19:03
Both our dogs have ben "rescued" dogs.Our oldest dog was apparently useless with the sheep,she was only nine months old and far too young just to be writen off.The owner left her tied to a telegraph pole then fortunatly the cat protectio woman saw her and took her home.we were the second family to try and home her.it was hard work at first but with patience and perseverence we won her trust.
Our Second dog came to us because my X's current girlfriend didn't like having a dog in the house.It was perfectly acceptable when she stayed with him but didn't want the dog at her's
There no bother and get on well together.Holidays may be a problem as some sites dont take one dog never mind too:eek:

Ah well,as long as the Wick site does we're sorted.:D

blondscot
14-Jul-07, 22:07
I have several cats at the moment and all my pedigree ones are house cats and have been since a kitten and they are all happy enough!! I also have adult cats that i have taken in and they to are house cats and they are happy as well. They all get out in the good weather in their outside pens but not to wander around!!
Cats are happy being indoors but do have loads of things for them to do!! plenty of toys and scratchers etc. Starting off with a younger cat can be easier but quite often a rescued adult cat will adore being allowed to stay inside and not have to go out in the cold!