PDA

View Full Version : Re-locating

paulbloemndaal
05-Jul-05, 15:26
Hello, I may be moving to Wick in the not to distant future and am looking for property to let. I have searched the main agents in Wick and Thurso but there is not a lot on offer. Can anyone suggest a local newspaper I can view or perhaps offer any advice? incidently I have never been to Wick and will be moving from Newcastle! :roll:
Regards

Whitewater
05-Jul-05, 16:00
If you take a look in the business section in Caithness.org there are usually a few properties there. also the local paper (John O'Groat Journal) which is published on Friday's usually has a few. It also may be worth your while having a look at the local solicitors, there are always properties for sale. but letting may be a different proposition.

paulbloemndaal
05-Jul-05, 18:40
Hi, thanks for that. I will ring the newspaper and subscribe!
Regards
Julie

webmannie
05-Jul-05, 21:24
Have you tried http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk?

Bobinovich
10-Jul-05, 00:37
Have PM'd you with some info.

neep_docker
12-Jul-05, 11:21
Interesting.....someone has decided to remove an element from this theme which dared to suggest that perhaps Wick is not the most wonderful place on the face of this earth.

If the guy who started this threat is coming to live in Wick, then I think it's only fair that we have the opportunity to paint the reality to him (good, and bad) of what he's going to face when he gets there.

scotsboy
12-Jul-05, 11:24
Have not read the post referenced by Neep-docker, but he makes a fair point that information provided should be allowed to be viewed by the person seeking it.

lelebo
12-Jul-05, 13:27
this is absolutely true even if it was the usual boring, predictable, negativity of which neepdocker is so fond.......... :roll:

scorrie
12-Jul-05, 16:18
Interesting.....someone has decided to remove an element from this theme which dared to suggest that perhaps Wick is not the most wonderful place on the face of this earth.

If the guy who started this threat is coming to live in Wick, then I think it's only fair that we have the opportunity to paint the reality to him (good, and bad) of what he's going to face when he gets there.

I think the original poster asked about property and not for a review of Wick. It may well be that they are moving here because of work and have no choice in the matter anyway. Besides it would be best to get a review from someone with the ability to report from an even-minded perspective and not from the McCain Factory on the shoulder perspective.
At the end of the day if you are so desperate to pass on the info you can always PM the person, as someone else in the thread already did. Of course that would not allow your comment to be seen here, so is your motivation really helping the original poster or offending the people of Wick?

scorrie
12-Jul-05, 21:41
so is your motivation really helping the original poster or offending the people of Wick?

The motivation is the former, although no doubt the latter will be a side effect.

Nah, you could have told yer man all that without having to post it here.

Just interested to know which paradise you live in? All places in the UK have their good and bad points. There is way less scum in Wick than there is in many places in the UK. The cities will always have more facilities and jobs but they are awash with crime, pollution, winos, scumbags and the general feeling is that life is cheap pervades such locations.

I would not swap Wick for Neeptopia, unless you can persuade me otherwise. Maybe you need to get a wife, a life, a sense of humour or something, it all sounds so depressing in Neepsville Tennessee. Now entering Prozac County Kentucky.

Kenn
12-Jul-05, 22:28
3 rousing cheers for squidge..I'll echo her sentiments any day!

neep_docker
12-Jul-05, 22:50
"Welcome to Wick - we're getting an Argos."

A slogan like that should really get the masses flocking.

luskentyre
12-Jul-05, 23:33
What? No comment about the numerous other points?

neep_docker
12-Jul-05, 23:45
What? No comment about the numerous other points?

Sorry, forgot :-) Here goes:

'terrific community spirit' - this will be the community that beats up someone in a nightclub, bundles him into the harbour, then clams up about the affair while the Police decide that it's better to not really get involved.

'low crime rate' - the crime rate is high; the detection and prosecution rate is dreadfully low.

'low houses prices' - because it's a low wage economy; great if you're a white settler buying in, but a nightmare if you're on a typical average wage for the area.

Fran
13-Jul-05, 02:20
What a lot of rubbish you have written about Wick Neepdocker.
Well said Squidge for your comments.
wick is a good place with lots to see and do, lots of clubs and activities and sports.Good health facilities. i dont kn ow why neepdocker thins the ambulances stop at golspie for a 4 hour teabreak, what nonsense, that is certainly not true.
Wick is also a good and safe enviroment to bring up children in.
wick is good......and life is what you make it. :D

katarina
13-Jul-05, 08:54
[quote="neep_docker- don't go for a nice stole up the riverside - as you'll get accosted and abused by winos

- don't take your car with you - you can't afford the petrol prices, and the local kids will only scratch all your paintwork....for fun

Other than that, it's a nice place.[/quote]

I take my dog for a walk up as far as Fairy hill three times a week. I have NEVER been accosted by winos - in fact I have seldom seen any!

I have never had my car scratched in 25years!

Have you heard the story of the worthy sitting on the roadside outside Wick. A prospective incomer stopped and asked, 'What kind of town is this?'
'What was it like, where you came from'? he asked.
'Dreadful.' was the reply. 'High prices, gossipy people, nothing to do.'
'Wick is just the same,' replied the worthy.
Another prospective incomer came along. 'What's it like in Wick?' he asked.
'What's it like where you come from?' asked the worthy.
'Great. Lovely people, beautiful scenery, wonderful walks.'
'Wick is just like that.' replied the worthy.

squidge
13-Jul-05, 11:29
'terrific community spirit' - this will be the community that beats up someone in a nightclub, bundles him into the harbour, then clams up about the affair while the Police decide that it's better to not really get involved..

Nah the community that finding a lassie and her kids on her own in a flat with nothing turned up with plates, forks,cups, towles, a three piece suite - which she still has! - an iron, an ironing board and when the same lassie was in hospital very seriously ill helped her husband with the children, cooked food came all the way to inverness to see her - That community neep-docker.

'low crime rate' - the crime rate is high; the detection and prosecution rate is dreadfully low..

Rubbish - people still leave doors cars and windows unlocked, Shops allow you to take the goods and pay later if you have forgotten your purse, posties leave parcels somewhere you can find them rather than taking htem back to the sorting office, insurance rates are low and the chance of being burgled is low too. Crime is largely centred around drinking and is minimal in comparison to many other places

'low houses prices' - because it's a low wage economy; great if you're a white settler buying in, but a nightmare if you're on a typical average wage for the area.

It is a low wage economy but there are reasonably well paid jobs to be had and there are there is still low priced property to buy in and around wick. Its still a place that young people can at least get a foot on the property ladder unlike inverness for example.

Neep docker - a word of advice - i read somewhere recently that being pessimistic shortens your life expectancy more than smoking or being fat.

Wick has its problems but to present it as you do is pathetic and over exaggerated. It also makes me think that your experince of life mustbe INCREDIBLY narrow if you feel that Wick is such a terrible place. You cant have been subjected to some of the environments I and many others on this board have seen and experienced and begs the question if you hate it so much then what on EARTH do you want to be here for?

paulbloemndaal
13-Jul-05, 11:29
Oh my goodness, caused quite a stir have'nt I? Anyway my computer has been down for 5 days so did not get access to the site. I am interested to know what was said about 'Wick' which was so bad? Well I am definately moving to Wick now as I have just been offered the job - will be at the end of August, and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!

squidge
13-Jul-05, 11:34
Well I am definately moving to Wick now as I have just been offered the job - will be at the end of August, and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!

WEll good for you and congratulations. I think you will find it a nice place to live - i did

Setanta
13-Jul-05, 12:10
Squidge love the way you quote neep and then go on to make another statement that has nothing to do with his point. Maybe that just show why the murder was never solved (nah I mean prosecuted) :evil
Also the amount of drug abuse and drug related crime is relatively very high. Pick up the JOG or Courier every week and you will see that the police are looking for witnesses to damage that has been done to cars on the streets. Nobody that I know that lives in Wick would dream of leaving their windows or doors lying open, unless they had a dog in the house of course. Shops allow you to take goods now pay later because in general there is very low wages. :(
Having said that the majority of the people are really nice and friendly but there are big warts.

squidge
13-Jul-05, 14:08
Squidge love the way you quote neep and then go on to make another statement that has nothing to do with his point. .

You are wrong setanta - neep said "terrific community spirit" and used the "murder" as an example of that. It wasnt a very good one actually i thought my examples were much better :D

Sure Wick has a drug problem but in point of fact it isnt as big a problem as in many other places. Crime IS low - you may get damamged cars - and the way some of you talk its amazing there are any undamaged cars in Wick it seems to be that prevalent - but you rarely get your car nicked. There are few robberies, muggings,gun crime, burglary, rape, murder - take a look at other local papers and see the difference. People still leave big prams parked outside their front doors, you see that rarely anywhere else. People still trust others - you see that rarely anywhere else.

Sure Wick has its problems - drink is still the issue whichis behind many of the arrests made in the town,Drink leads to assault and fighting is a problem but if you, setanta and neep,try to paint it as a hotbed of violent crime,theft and an unsafe environment to bring up children you are completely and utterly wrong. AS i have already said one has to wonder where you have lived if you think wick is so bad

neep___docker
13-Jul-05, 14:28
and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!

In that case, add another issue to the list.......stay away from the hospital, as Wick has also had some, er, 'problems' with gynaecologists which has resulted in court proceedings.

garycs
13-Jul-05, 14:54
If everything Neepdocker says is true then Wick must be a Utopian dream compared to Penrith and Carlisle; which are similarly sleepy backwaters compared to where I was brought up in Greater Manchester ;)

Seriously though, you only have to check on the Northern Constabulary website and look at the crime rates for all of Caithness and Sutherland, if you assume all of that occurred in Wick it would still have a below average crime rate when compared with the country as a whole :eek:

Low wage economy? Eden district (in Cumbria) has officially the lowest wages in the UK, yet a three bed terrace will cost £150k.

Is the real problem that Neep docker doesn't like incomers?

Joey
13-Jul-05, 16:13
Or is it the case the glass is always half empty but never half full?

squidge
13-Jul-05, 18:18
Flippin 'eck neep!!!

Why not add that in 1204 there was a massacre so look out for brigands with broadswords!!!

Nothing about the gyneacology issue or the murder is relevant in actual fact - they all refer to single issues which happened once - hardly something to base a decision on, whereas the repeated and continual small acts of kindness are what makes a cimmunity what it is.

Half emprty is right and Gary - i too was brought up in greater mancehster - the Manchester Evening News makes for lurid reading at times - compare to that the JOG journal is a pleasant relief

Margaret M.
13-Jul-05, 18:40
Does Neep__Docker live in Wick? If so, why? I don't know what you are using as a basis of comparison but Wick looks like Paradise compared to lots of other places. It is one of the few places where I feel very safe. Granted, there are some things about Wick that could be better, but there's a lot more right than wrong there.
Good luck with the move, paulbloemndaal. Get ready to enjoy beautiful sunsets as you breathe some of the freshest air.

scorrie
13-Jul-05, 19:06
and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!

In that case, add another issue to the list.......stay away from the hospital, as Wick has also had some, er, 'problems' with gynaecologists which has resulted in court proceedings.

Bit of a Paranoid Android are we?

I would advise stopping the tablets, either that or start taking different ones!!

There was also a riot in Wick over an orange on one occasion. Perhaps we should advise incomers against consuming citrus fruits in Wick, or do you feel a more blanket coverage on all fruit and veg would be safer? Those Neeps can be very dodgy after all!!

Sketch
13-Jul-05, 21:36
[quote="squidge"]Flippin 'eck neep!!!

Squidge!

I'm agreeing with you all the way through this conversation with neep and co.

As a relocator in the next few weeks, we have done our homework!

by-enlarge, I have never known a place quite like yours. Although there seems to be a small devide between Thurso and Wick. which is similar to Hull and Grimsby where I live at the moment, I have never met so many nice people in one place. The area is teaming with riches of all kinds, the scenery you have is some of the best in the world, the people, holisticaly, are the finest and kindest and the work is far better than in most places I'd care to mention or you would care to visit. It's sometimes hard to see what you have when it's in front of you all the time. Like not seeing the woods for the tree? I've lived midway in the uk for many years and can see things from both side of the fence. London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Highlands?. I know where most people would prefere to live in terms of area and yours is one of, if not the finest of them all. It's nicer to appreciate what you have.....imagine if you didn't have it....what would your life be like?
Squidge, you are so right. There are problems in every area, in every town, village and city but at varying degrees. From What I have seen, read and heared you have only 1% and you'd never have escaped that because people are people and I bet neep wouldn't swap it. I could have chosen one of a dozen place to settle a new life into but where you life is certainly the paradise most dream of.

I would challange neep to live here in Lincolnshire for a while, no offence neep.

I can't wait to join u all!

Cheers Squidge!

Sketch
13-Jul-05, 21:47
To think all the poster asked for was a place to rent! :eek: :D

peelie-wallie
13-Jul-05, 22:15
this will be the community that beats up someone in a nightclub, bundles him into the harbour, then clams up about the affair while the Police decide that it's better to not really get involved.

I moved back to the area a few years ago after being away for a long time. I'm afraid I no longer share the enthusiasm some of you have for the place. To me the comment above that was posted in this thread sums up an awful lot about the place.

The local society is rotten to the core with alchoholism and petty violence. The violence that goes on behind closed doors is disgraceful, and most of it is drink fuelled and it regulalry spills out into the wider community. Drugs are everywhere and around where I live you can see it and the effects of it everyday.

And the community is full of hateful factions always at each others throats. If I'm correct in assuming which incident that was that the poster was referring to about being murdered and dumped in the harbour, then that's the one that proves that point perfectly.

As for the Police, well there's hardly any of them in the county, and those that there are daren't come out of the police station unless its to get a chinese takeaway. I've also directly seen an incidence of what was effectively police corruption.

Week was never that wonderful a place but it's gotten to a drastic situation in the last few years. The inner city problems are here in the same proportions as bigger places if not more.

The biggest things that Week has lost is any sense of pride and responsibility. you can see it everywhere - people's homes, public services, even the local football club is caught up in accusations of embezelling money.

katarina
13-Jul-05, 23:03
have lived in wick since I was ten. I still don't lock my door or car. Children still go out and play all over the place, the only difference is we now give ours a mobile so we can check if they are late home. I am not afraid to walk home late at night. Most people I know own nice cars and have nice homes, seems low income is not a problem as houses, rents are reasonable and all shops are within walking distance. If not, taxis are cheapest in Britain. Of course there are warts - but you chose your own friends - don't you? Isn't it the same all over?
What you loose on the round abouts, youn win on the swings. Welcome to Wick!

DrSzin
15-Jul-05, 12:21
The cities will always have more facilities and jobs but they are awash with crime, pollution, winos, scumbags and the general feeling is that life is cheap pervades such locations.
Steady scorrie, you are in danger of stooping to the level of those you decry.

Sure, these things exist in cities, but it's possible for a substantial fraction of city dwellers to avoid them entirely. "Good" and "bad" communities tend to be significantly more distinct in cities, both geographically and socio-economically. I experienced more of the "less-desirable" side of life growing up in Thurso than I do here in the big bad city. I am well aware than I am one of the fortunate ones, and that the worst areas and communities in cities are worse than the worst areas in most small towns. Some Caithness residents may be slightly surprised to hear that I experience a good bit less anti-social behaviour here in the city than I do in small towns on my occasional weekend forays into more rural areas.

I sometimes daydream about moving back to Caithness, but I probably never will, if only because I would have to make such a drastic career change and I'm not ready for that yet.

The price of housing makes it soooo tempting though...

nicola jane
15-Jul-05, 12:44
Neep head I mean docker, there's a road out o Wick - take it pls................. jes make sure its e one headin south - we dana want you over this side. CAITHNESS is a wonderfull place to live. I should know it took me 20 years to be able to move back home BEST opportunity I ever took.