PDA

View Full Version : Housing in the Highlands

peter macdonald
13-Jul-07, 12:43
Congrats to Ms Grant for this one ...it might give our youngsters a chance to get on the property ladder
PM

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149212&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232919&home=yes&more_nodeId1=149221&contentPK=17822397

floyed
13-Jul-07, 13:33
well done to Ms Grant

cuddlepop
13-Jul-07, 15:40
Its about time something was done the situation on Skye is desperate for young people trying to get their first home.

We'll be known soon as "The Island To Retire To.......from down south":eek:

TRUCKER
13-Jul-07, 16:51
It Would Make It Easier For First Time Buyers.

paris
13-Jul-07, 17:08
Seams like a racist thing to be considering .. I fully appreciate the younger generation need to get on the property ladder but to go about it this way i don't think its right:( jan x ( just my opinion ) before i get my head bitten of !

NickInTheNorth
13-Jul-07, 17:14
{Head biting mode on}

So what's racist about it? Attempting to allow young people to buy a property in the area which is home?

No-one is suggesting that folk from elsewhere cannot buy property, just that some "starter homes" are available to local young people, and others that can bring vital skills.

Simple common sense really.

{Head biting mode off}

changilass
13-Jul-07, 17:14
Not sure I like the ida of a cap being put on the price I could sell my house for if I wanted to move.

I didnt own my own house til I was in my mid 30's so why should I have to suffer in order for someone else to be able to get onto the property ladder when they are younger. We have worked bliddy hard to get what we have.

cuddlepop
13-Jul-07, 17:20
Not sure I like the ida of a cap being put on the price I could sell my house for if I wanted to move.

I didnt own my own house til I was in my mid 30's so why should I have to suffer in order for someone else to be able to get onto the property ladder when they are younger. We have worked bliddy hard to get what we have.
I should know how they get round this one in Guernsey but dont(ask aunti later) but perhapse the government pay the balance.

Dont honestly know how you sort the housing issue,all I do know is that it has to be sorted or you'll have the Highland clearences again.:eek:

NickInTheNorth
13-Jul-07, 17:26
The simple solution, and one which has been used in England (can't remember where) is developers are given local authority or government owned land to build on, specifically for the restricted market. Those are sold at a low price, with certain restrictions in place for future sales (some sort of claw back within a specified time).

Pretty certain the idea is not to penalise existing home owners, rather to give youngsters a chance.

paris
13-Jul-07, 17:31
The simple solution, and one which has been used in England (can't remember where) is developers are given local authority or government owned land to build on, specifically for the restricted market. Those are sold at a low price, with certain restrictions in place for future sales (some sort of claw back within a specified time).

Pretty certain the idea is not to penalise existing home owners, rather to give youngsters a chance.
Now that i DO agree with , its the same everywhere though, i have 2 grown up sons living at home desparate to get on the p / ladder but just done earn enough and they both have skilled jobs. jan x

NickInTheNorth
13-Jul-07, 17:34
Details here (http://www.gov.gg/ccm/navigation/housing/housing-control/) of the Guernsey scheme - and I must say I don't think that type of scheme is the way to go. They still appear to have mad prices, despite the restrictions on the right to own. I suspect that Ms Grant does not fully comprehend the facts relating to the Guernsey scheme.

But I agree that something needs to be done, more particularly to curb second home ownership, which I believe has a much greater impact than people choosing to move up here.

peter macdonald
13-Jul-07, 17:54

Sooo lets do nothing then We have enough rural depopulation problems in the Highlands without driving the kids South because they cant get a house that there wages can afford Dont you think its wrong that for example a farm worker on a lowish wage cant buy a house because someone from south fancies that same house as a holiday home That farm worker (or what ever) might just have his kids in a local school that might just be struggling for its numbers just to stay open ..... I would draw your attention to Cuddlpops post in this thread earlier

Paris ...please not everything on these subjects are about being anti English ...its a newsitem /thread about trying to keep rural communities alive not as Cuddlepop says places for retirement
PM

changilass
13-Jul-07, 17:57
So are you suggesting that I should have to sell my house for less so that said farmer can buy it from me.

I have nothing against new starter homes being built but I still do not see why our hard graft to get our house should count for nothing.

Maegwynn
13-Jul-07, 18:24
I personally think its a definate start in the right direction! I think young people need more opertunities and reasons to stay in Caithness. I moved away to Birmingham to go to college and to stay with my dad. If there was as many shops as there are now and opertunities for young people i may not of moved away or i would of at least moved back sooner.:)
Its not being racist, its just giving local people a chance to buy without being totally blown out of the water money wise.
If i was selling a house up there i would prefer it to go to someone from the area or someone who was going to bring something to the area (just my preference!) :roll:

blondscot
13-Jul-07, 23:10
totally agree with Maeqwynn on helping young local people in getting onto the property ladder. With all the folk who move from England to Caithness to "getaway from the ratrace" the cost of housing is above many locals budget!
In a few years time they will all be leaving caithness to "get away from the ratrace" thatcould end up being created by all the incomers that have moved here!!! I would prefer to sell my house to a local over an incomer!