PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Music Scene (continued...)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jul-07, 23:03
Ain't I so lucky - am oop North next week for a whole 7 days. So, Caithness Music Scene what's going on I should know about? Who/ Is there anyone gigging? I'm all ears, eyes, teeth, own hair etc...

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Jul-07, 16:03
Well, my week in Caithness has come and gone. Saw very little live music, though I tried to keep my eyes and ears open as much as possible. Went to the folk night at the Comm. Hmmm... There was about six people there, none of them are actually from Caithness - I met a nice chap from Leeds who moved up to take advantage of the low house prices - and they mainly stuck to playing Shetland and Irish reels. They perked up, however, when my girlfriend, Shona Mooney decided to join them for a tune or two. We inquired about local folk music, and were somewhat surprised to hear there is little, or almost none at all written down in manuscript. Apparently Addie Harper and Bobby Murray - and yes, John Sutherland of Dunnet Head - are the closest Caithness has.

Speaking of Sutherland, thankfully I got to see him and his young lad, Isaac, playing at the Grove Lounge. Quality, as ever.

Apparently there was acoustic acts playing at the Orange Room on Saturday afternoon, but I tend to watch live music at night, and there's so much other good things to see and do in Caithness when there's daylight in abundance. Shame, it might have been very good.

And that was it.

Ah well, maybe see some more next time.

connieb19
26-Jul-07, 16:15
You should have gone to the kareoke in the Camps on Saturday night. :Razz

moncur
26-Jul-07, 16:30
Well, my week in Caithness has come and gone. Saw very little live music, though I tried to keep my eyes and ears open as much as possible.

Reason why it is so quiet just now is cos everyones busy beavering away at perfecting their stage show for the big gig! I was planning on having a 2' model of 'the lighter' made but when it arrived it was only 2" tall! Grrrr how spinal tap!

Also waiting for a hydraulic powered drumkit riser to arrive for big macs 'I wanna be like Joey from Slipknot' rotating drum solo.

And Alice Cooper's been giving Bones advice on the best way to bite a bat's head off should someone choose to throw one at him whilst on stage.

Can anyone tell Im bored today?

Jeemag_USA
26-Jul-07, 20:01
And Alice Cooper's been giving Bones advice on the best way to bite a bat's head off should someone choose to throw one at him whilst on stage.

You might want to give Ozzy a ring, he does that stuff for real :Razz

Jeid
28-Jul-07, 14:16
Can anyone tell Im bored today?

Nope, but I gather a few other things about you from that post ;)