PDA

View Full Version : No smoking in public

paris
11-Jul-07, 18:43
So how is the no smoking going in the pubs/clubs in Scotland ? Have you all got used to it now? Here in England as you know its only been a couple of weeks since the ban came in and so far so good but our local is almost empty now ! Trade has dropped big time but weather it will pick up again we don't know . We've been told a 3rd of pubs in Scotland have now had to close because of lack of trade. Whats it like up there ?? jan x

Ash
11-Jul-07, 18:54
as a non smoker i love it, only wish it happened 3years ago when my wee one was born as couldnt take her anywhere for the smoke, when on holiday last week i was giving her a shower in the shower blocks and some women was smoking in the showers! makes me mad! why should we have to inhale others people disgusting habbits!!!!![evil]

joan
11-Jul-07, 19:00
We live in Glasgow where there are LOADS of pubs and clubs and they are still as busy as before if not busier!The pubs that let in families are thriving and I have not heard of ANY local pubs that have closed down because nobody is allowed to smoke indoors.I think us Scots have adapted to it fairly well.In fact my friend smokes and when she goes outside for a fag she gets talking to people she would,nt have normally have spoken to.It has become a wee community of all pals together outside.Conversations have ended up going on all night and she ends up with "SMOKING BUDDIES".Its not all bad-just different.

Fluff
11-Jul-07, 19:16
when on holiday last week i was giving her a shower in the shower blocks and some women was smoking in the showers!

how the heck do you smoke while having a shower?! would it not get wet?!

Ash
11-Jul-07, 19:17
as i dont smoke i hate when u are walking into a pub or restaurant, fair enough these people arent smoking indoors but u get covered in smoke in the way in and out of these places, im sorry but i just hate it!

Ash
11-Jul-07, 19:19

oh god i dont know but she came out of shower cubicle smoking and when i mumbled that it defeated the whole purpose of my and my wee one having a shower to then get covered in the stench of her smoke she gave ME the most awful look like I was the one in the wrong!

Fluff
11-Jul-07, 19:29
disgusting. it nevers stops amazing me how inconsiderate people can be.

golach
11-Jul-07, 20:04
So how is the no smoking going in the pubs/clubs in Scotland ? Have you all got used to it now? Here in England as you know its only been a couple of weeks since the ban came in and so far so good but our local is almost empty now ! Trade has dropped big time but weather it will pick up again we don't know . We've been told a 3rd of pubs in Scotland have now had to close because of lack of trade. Whats it like up there ?? jan x
All the pubs in my area, seem to be thriving, more clean smoke free bars, more pub grub being served . I would not say a 3rd of pubs have closed, yes some have, but they were on their last legs anyway. Even the Capital city prices in uptown Edinburgh has not driven the customers away.
Another little scarcely known fact, you are not allowed to smoke in Bus shelters, and we have Litter Wardens here also, drop a fag end in the street, and get caught thats a £50 spot fine,

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:24
Im a non Smoker and its been brilliant since the Non Smoking ban came in..After a night out i dont come home stinking of fags.. :)

It didnt really bother me when there wasnt a ban as i was used to people smoking around me.

Ash
11-Jul-07, 20:32
Im a non Smoker and its been brilliant since the Non Smoking ban came in..After a night out i dont come home stinking of fags.. :)

It didnt really bother me when there wasnt a ban as i was used to people smoking around me.

i totally agree its nice to go out and come home still smelling good!

karia
11-Jul-07, 20:32
Hi Folks,

Totally agree with Golach!

Don't know how many folk have 'quit' but no problem here in 'central'.

You get a wee ' buncha puffers' outside most pubs, but I think a whole heep of people have quit!

I see, in England that they are wearing wee orange ' I wanna quit' commitment rings.:mad::roll:

Ermm!

Karia

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:36
Yes alot of my friend have stopped or at least cut down alot...Which is a good thing really! My friend used til smoke so many fags when she was out drinking..But now ya gotta go outside and if the weather is cold n wet who would wanna go out in horrible weather...Certainly not me!!! :lol:

karia
11-Jul-07, 20:45
Hi DarkAngel,

I quit smoking as a wedding present to beloved OH.

My choice on both counts, No disappointments so far,..9 years & counting!:)

Karia

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:46
Hi DarkAngel,

I quit smoking as a wedding present to beloved OH.

My choice on both counts, No disappointments so far,..9 years & counting!:)

Karia

Well done you Karia.... What a fab wedding present for yer hubby..Glad you have kept it up!

Bobinovich
11-Jul-07, 23:12
i totally agree its nice to go out and come home still smelling good!

I did notice that, without the masking smell of smoke, Skinandis now stinks of BO & sweat from all those tightly-packed dancing peeps - yuck, but not as yuck as smoke...

In a vain attempt to rebuild my now shattered street cred (! [lol]) I'll hasten to add that I've only been there twice since the smoking ban came in!!!

Julia
11-Jul-07, 23:19
I wish they would completely ban smoking in all public places!

It's a disgusting filthy habit and anybody who dares inflict it on my children's precious lungs will face the wrath of me! [mad]

Lolabelle
12-Jul-07, 00:26

I used to manage to smoke in the shower. :eek: I would just hold it out of the water, and stick my head out to have a puff. why i wanted to, i don't know!!!!

as i dont smoke i hate when u are walking into a pub or restaurant, fair enough these people arent smoking indoors but u get covered in smoke in the way in and out of these places, im sorry but i just hate it!

That annoys me too, people cant smoke inside, that's the rules, but the pubs etc should provide a decent place for smokers instead of them having to stand out in the front like hobo's. There is a leagues club in a nearby town and they have built a really nice courtyard with tables and chairs and one of those nice out door heaters. It stops the front of the place from looking shoddy and being clouded in drifting smoke.

PS, I don't smoke. Not for many years. :D

Lucy
12-Jul-07, 08:37
The NHS in scotland is now looking into banning smoking on all NHS premises. this includes all outside areas as well. so their would be no nipping to the car park for a quick ciggie. As a non smoker i have no problem with this, but i do feel for any elderly patient who has smoked all their life and as well as coping with being in hospital they also have to cope with withdrawal symptoms of not smoking. the reason for this is that the NHS still sees smoking as the biggest preventable cause of ill health in britain and are doing their best to stop it.

mccaugm
12-Jul-07, 09:17
I wish they would completely ban smoking in all public places!

It's a disgusting filthy habit and anybody who dares inflict it on my children's precious lungs will face the wrath of me! [mad]

I so agree...its nice to hear someone with the same view as me. The women in the advert who smoke in the car whilst the child sits in the back seat makes me fume. That is beyond selfish.

paris
12-Jul-07, 09:56
Well from a 40 a day habit I'm now down to about 15 a day with the help of gum and a inhalator ( plastic fag ) for those of you who have already quit well done as i only know to well how hard this is. I WILL DO THIS:D but its going to take time as I've been a smoker for 30+ yrs. :(jan x

mccaugm
12-Jul-07, 10:43
Well from a 40 a day habit I'm now down to about 15 a day with the help of gum and a inhalator ( plastic fag ) for those of you who have already quit well done as i only know to well how hard this is. I WILL DO THIS:D but its going to take time as I've been a smoker for 30+ yrs. :(jan x

My husband did it after smoking from the age of 9 (yes 9) till he was 35. He smoked between 10 -20 a day. He used the patches which you can get on prescription. He does have the occasional fly puff but hes a 99% non-smoker and I am proud of him.

johno
12-Jul-07, 11:54
I stopped smoking years ago, i dont frown on the smokers ,although i wont let my friends smoke in my car, [thats just to close for comfort].
i was in Bulgaria last week and a lady in a resturaunt lit up and blew smoke over us while we were dining, that i did find offensive, but as there are no rules there concerning smokers we just moved to another part of the resturaunt.
i think that it is great to be in a smoke free zone espiecally when eating.
PS,I will ask my visitors not to light up in my home in future.
perhaps they aught to ban smoking in outdoor public places also.
the bars & cafes certainly are cleaner and healthier & its now a pleasure to enter them. :grin: