PDA

View Full Version : Nationality??

changilass
11-Jul-07, 12:30
Following on from Golach's 'Where were you born' poll, what is the deciding factor in Nationality.

Is it where you were born, where your parents or even grandparents were born, or is it where you or parents or grandparents have lived most of your life.

How do you personally think it should be decided??

As an example, I was born in the RAF hospital in Changi Singapore, parents both born in England, grandparents on mothers side in england an on fathers side gradfather caithness grandmother wales. Other than an out and out mongrel, what does this make me (clean answers only please).

If I tell folks I am british I get accused of sitting on the fence.

brew
11-Jul-07, 12:51
I would have guessed that it was where you were born

Billy Boy
11-Jul-07, 13:04
As an example, I was born in the RAF hospital in Changi Singapore, parents both born in England, grandparents on mothers side in england an on fathers side gradfather caithness grandmother wales. Other than an out and out mongrel, what does this make me (clean answers only please).

both your parents and grand parents are english, so in my view that makes you english.

As for me I'am scottish, my family have been in caithness for generation's and originate from the isle of skye.

changilass
11-Jul-07, 13:08
Only 2 out of 4 grandparents were English.

My brother and sister who were both born in England consider themselves English, but I have never considered myself as English.

Cazaa
11-Jul-07, 19:47
According to the Home Office website, if at least one of your parents is British, then that makes you British too.

Incidently - has anyone tried their 'test' to decide whether you qualify for being British? Personally I find it a very 'English' test (questions about the English regions, laws, education system, regions, laws, cricket) which makes me wonder how immigrants who have moved to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland cope with it.

golach
11-Jul-07, 19:56
Only 2 out of 4 grandparents were English.

My brother and sister who were both born in England consider themselves English, but I have never considered myself as English.
Changi, you are a member of one of the best and proudest clans in Scotland, dont forget that, and your related to me, what more proof do you need [lol]

percy toboggan
11-Jul-07, 19:58
Oh dear, this one again.

I'm English because the blood of my parents was mostly English and I was born here. Also a proportion of Welsh and Scottish,which is as near as dammit to makes no difference (wails of anguish heard from here) I have a genetic defect which suggest a Scandinavian (Norse) link somewhere. The previous three generations I've found so far were all English or English/Welsh border, with a strong suggestion of Scottish further back.

Oh! and I'm white. I'm not apologising for this so the liberals can go hang.

I think I'd rather (latterly) be considered 'English' because half the world wants to be 'British' and as they don't fit the aformentioned criteria I don't see how they can be. Not yet a while anyway.

When they've been succeeded by several generations all born here (Britain or England) then that might be different. Not rocket science is it?
Common sense, and the passage of time applies.

horseman
11-Jul-07, 20:30
What do you mean really percy,Oh dear this one again?
To some this is an important question!An golach has the answer to cap it.
Sorry mate it just don't seem to be as entirely relevant to 'non haggis bashers''don't know if I can say that' but it is an honest observation,based on many years residence in england.;)

Jeemag_USA
11-Jul-07, 20:38
I am Caithnesian through at least six generations so I think I must be Scottish. And when I get my US Citizenship, I will be still Scottish or something like Caithyankytish!!

I used to be a very patriotic person, but I don't really care anymore, I love my country and love my home of Thurso, but I love almost everywhere I have been and can make my home anywhere and love the people I find, think outside the box. Boxes, borders, boundaries, flags all just help to cloud peoples judgement on the world. We all live on a big ball, and if we all stopped walking at the same time the ball would stop spinning and we will all fall off so we have to be together on this one, got me :Razz

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jul-07, 20:56
Not British.

sassylass
11-Jul-07, 21:42
I am Caithnesian through at least six generations so I think I must be Scottish. And when I get my US Citizenship, I will be still Scottish or something like Caithyankytish!!

I used to be a very patriotic person, but I don't really care anymore, I love my country and love my home of Thurso, but I love almost everywhere I have been and can make my home anywhere and love the people I find, think outside the box. Boxes, borders, boundaries, flags all just help to cloud peoples judgement on the world. We all live on a big ball, and if we all stopped walking at the same time the ball would stop spinning and we will all fall off so we have to be together on this one, got me :Razz

I like your reasoning.

percy toboggan
11-Jul-07, 22:18
We all live on a big ball, and if we all stopped walking at the same time the ball would stop spinning and we will all fall off so we have to be together on this one, got me :Razz

Not really , no. Globalisation has had some negative effects from my perspective. Borders are important. If correctly controlled they can keep undesirables and freeloaders out. Your reasoning, and happy clappy attitude might carry along a few people on semi-enlightened forums like this one but frankly Jeemag it doesn't make much sense to me.

If you're an example of a citizen of the world then I'm glad I settled for English.If you think my judgement 'clouded' then I'll just have to live with it. I think I will manage okay.

Highland Laddie
11-Jul-07, 22:44
A Scots man English man and a Jamaican are sitting in the maternity hospital waiting room when the midwife walks in.
congratulations gentlemen, your wives have all had beautiful baby boys
the only problem is, we seem to have mixed them up, could you all come to the nursery and look at the children to see if you could recognise your child.
they all walk into the nursery and the babies are all on a cot next to each other
the Scotsman walks in and picks a baby up straight away
the Jamaican looks at the scots man and says
excuse me sir but that baby your holding is coloured
yes says the Scots man but one of the 2 that are left is English
so i'm taking no chances.

No racism intended, sorry for spelling etc, as i am rushing out to get to work.

Rheghead
11-Jul-07, 23:34
A Scots man English man and a Jamaican are sitting in the maternity hospital waiting room when the midwife walks in.
congratulations gentlemen, your wives have all had beautiful baby boys
the only problem is, we seem to have mixed them up, could you all come to the nursery and look at the children to see if you could recognise your child.
they all walk into the nursery and the babies are all on a cot next to each other
the Scotsman walks in and picks a baby up straight away
the Jamaican looks at the scots man and says
excuse me sir but that baby your holding is coloured
yes says the Scots man but one of the 2 that are left is English
so i'm taking no chances.

No racism intended, sorry for spelling etc, as i am rushing out to get to work.

Erm, the child that the Scotsman picked up was born to an English mother.

I'm afraid there is no escape....:D

Kenn
12-Jul-07, 00:30
I was born in Cornwall brought up to believe I was Cornish the family having been there most probably since the stone age.My passport says I am a citizen of The United Kingdom.
So maybe I am British but never English.

Jeemag_USA
12-Jul-07, 01:21
Not really , no. Globalisation has had some negative effects from my perspective. Borders are important. If correctly controlled they can keep undesirables and freeloaders out. Your reasoning, and happy clappy attitude might carry along a few people on semi-enlightened forums like this one but frankly Jeemag it doesn't make much sense to me.

If you're an example of a citizen of the world then I'm glad I settled for English.If you think my judgement 'clouded' then I'll just have to live with it. I think I will manage okay.

Have you completely lost your sense of humour too, maybe its just me but I sensed an ever so slight tongue in cheek aspect in my post. I didn't say we did not require boundaries, my reasoning suggests that you think outside of them, the just maybe sometime in the distant future when we are all thinking as one people then we may not need them, so I am suspecting you did not get my point really. If thats being english then I am happy the way I am am (tongue still in cheek percy) ;)

JAWS
12-Jul-07, 01:57
No problem, Changi. Children of British Military serving overseas are considered Citizens of the United Kingdom.
Before the wholesale destruction of the Regimental system Army Brats born overseas were considered to be from the County where the Regiment their parent(s) served with was raised.

Tristan
12-Jul-07, 07:52
In some countries being born in that county gives you citizenship rights. Would being born overseas not have to do with being born on British soil. An Army base would/is considered to be part of Britain, a bit like an embassy.
It reminds me of the Dutch Princess born in an Ottawa hospital during WW2. The room was declared "extraterritorial" so that the royal baby would have full Dutch citizenship. http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-2050-12821-10/on_this_day/life_society/twt

I am proud to have dual citizenship but if I had to choose I know know which one I would keep. Borders and nationality are important but as Jeemag said home is where you make it.

NickInTheNorth
12-Jul-07, 07:55
I guess really it is down to what you wish to class yourself as.

It would appear that to some sporting bodies if your grandfather ever set foot in Scotland then you are as Scottish as Ben Nevis.

To others unless you can trace back a direct line to William Wallace you are not.

So be what you want to be, but whatever it is be proud of yourself and your family :)

squidge
12-Jul-07, 09:23
Im English by birth - Lancastrian actually but im scottish in my heart - thats
Hearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt by the way lol;)

Im actually just me a sort of mish mash of all the places i have lived and all the people who have influenced me and they are of every nationality, colour and religion.

Whoever i am - i quite like myself

Sandra_B
12-Jul-07, 09:51
I'm Scottish, Steve's American, eldest son was born in a US military hospital in Italy and youngest was born here in a German hospital. Both boys have British passports.

Ricco
15-Jul-07, 08:12
Well, I was born in Canada so I class myself as Canadian (and do hold a Canadian p/p). My parents were both English, but some would then say I was English. However, my father's grandparents were Scottish (Grants) and I believe that my mother's side were also from Scotland but I haven't traced that lead yet. So, mixed blood I guess. ;)

rockchick
15-Jul-07, 09:22
I was born and raised in Canada, and consider myself Canadian. However, my father and his parents were born in Lithuania, his family escaped during WWII and emigrated to Canada. My mother was born in Canada, but both her parents were Scottish.

So I'm a Canadian who is half Scottish and half Lithuanian...living in Englandshire.

canuck
15-Jul-07, 14:17
Me three, born and raised in Canada. At this late date in life I doubt that anything will replace my Canadian nationality. But I am on my way to the UK next month to try my hand at being Scottish. I have the surname to make it work and the genetic stuff from grandparents on both sides.

htwood
15-Jul-07, 18:10
The answer to "nationality" could be split into two categories. What passport do you hold vs. which cultural group do you feel closest to?

I would have to say that although I hold a US passport, I consider myself to be Northern Californian first, before American, because we are culturally very different.

And after that, I consider myself Scottish, because my grandmother held dearly onto her 100% Scottishness. If one is raised as being proudly Scottish, one holds onto every last thing that reminds them of where they came from.

In the chat room, I've taken some crap about how "real Scots" feel about "non-Scots" claiming to be Scottish. All I know is that my Scottish relatives who left Caithness never let us forget where we came from and what they left behind. That longing to return never left them, and that's the legacy they gave me.

karia
15-Jul-07, 18:43
The answer to "nationality" could be split into two categories. What passport do you hold vs. which cultural group do you feel closest to?

Hi htwood,

Totally agree, I'm part Scottish, part Irish and part French, and I tend to align myself with the more interesting and feisty of my forebares, as I suspect, do we all.;)

Karia

porshiepoo
15-Jul-07, 18:45
I both hate and love this subject! :lol:

I'm English as I was born in England, but does that make my brother Libyan as he was born in Tobruk while my father was stationed there in the RAF??? I know he would class himself as English, or more likely, British!

Legally, I believe nationality is determined by citizenship?

The problem for me within the UK is that I would prefer to not be labelled as one or the other. Yes I was born in England but I now live in Scotland, but that's as far as it goes for me. I do not feel the need to feel allegiance to one or the other and I think it's a sad state of affairs when we are labelled English or Scottish when we are all in fact British. Sadly also, the term 'English' or 'Scottish' takes precedence over 'British' for many, many people.

karia
15-Jul-07, 18:59
poschiepoo, you are spot on!

However I figured if I posted with a ' I'm a citizen of the world' comment,..well, you know,....hung oot to dry!:D

I do align myself with my more 'feisty' forbares, but that is buying into a 'romantic whim',..I'm me, and currently I'm here,..my relatives are all over the place,..and none of it matters a jot!

My nationality,..Orger!;)

Passport please!

Citizen Karia

golach
15-Jul-07, 19:43
I must be one of the luckiest people alive....I was born in Caithness, both my parents were born in Caithness, all my Grandparents were born in Caithness back to 1750, I think that makes me special, well not really IMO what makes me special is I have lived in many places, been to many lands, seen many cultures, met many different peoples, and I have a circle of friends & relatives from all over the world. So I dont really care what name my given Nationality is, I am, for reasons of my birth a Caithnessian, by reasons of my Location a Scot, by the government of the country I am designated British , and my passport says I am a member of the European Union. I can handle that [lol]

Oddquine
15-Jul-07, 21:13
I was born in Morayshire........ my mother's family were Caithness back to mid 1700s( with one sidetrack to Dumfriesshire)..........my father's family were Inverness-shire to the same era(with one sidetrack to Ross & Cromarty).

So I am a Scottish mongrel, who has never felt British.

porshiepoo
16-Jul-07, 10:01
Maybe part of the problem lies with the generations that have kept alive a north / south divide?