PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch feeding a baby sparrow

criss x
10-Jul-07, 22:43
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/morven_2007/Picture187.jpg

sassylass
12-Jul-07, 01:30
errr why would a goldfinch be feeding a baby sparrow?

Jeemag_USA
12-Jul-07, 02:50
errr why would a goldfinch be feeding a baby sparrow?

Frustration, nothing as bad as listening to a loud mouthed baby sparra so he stuck the nut in it [lol]

Scunner
12-Jul-07, 10:32
It just may be a young goldfinch, as they don't develop their head colours until they are older.

Jeemag_USA
12-Jul-07, 15:44
It just may be a young goldfinch, as they don't develop their head colours until they are older.

It does look very odd though, I'd say the other bird is definately bigger than the goldfinch, if you look at its feet sticking out, plus thats a male goldfinch isn't it, very interesting anyway, like to hear again from the poster, its curious.

Scunner
12-Jul-07, 18:48
even although I have goldfinches visiting several times a day, I still am unable to distinguish the male from the female.

highlander
12-Jul-07, 21:35
Here is a picture for you scunner, a male and female goldfinch feeding, i am trying to get a good picture of the baby goldfinch but it is so tiny and wont sit long enough to pose. lol

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/13thhjune2007018.jpg

Scunner
12-Jul-07, 22:30
The goldfinch is a strikingly beautiful bird, with a bright red face, black and white head and a deep golden yellow bar on the otherwise jet-black wings. Another notable feature is the long, pointed beak, which allows this species to extract seeds from teasels.

Males and females are similar in appearance, although females have shorter beaks. Juveniles have greyish-brown streaked heads, lacking the red, white and black pattern of the adults.

Flocks produce a delightful liquid twittering song and call.

I found this description of goldfinches - hope this helps

criss x
12-Jul-07, 22:59
Another pic.http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa256/morven_2007/Picture180.jpg

Jeemag_USA
12-Jul-07, 23:43
Highlander, I don't think thats a female, think its a youngster, it looks immature and kind of downy, no? Also Scunner you need to check where you get your descriptions because american and european Goldfinches are different, in the USA goldfinch males and females are noticably different ad look nothing like the european ones except in shape.

Scunner
13-Jul-07, 08:49
The information came from an article on Brititsh Birds. I am fully aware that the American Goldfinch is different from the ones found in the British Isles. The artlicle is factual, and is on the British Goldfinch, photos of which had been posted by Highlander and others. As I said in my post, I watch them feed several times each day, from the niger feeder some three feet from my window, and I am unable to determine which is male or female.

Jeemag_USA
13-Jul-07, 19:28
The information came from an article on Brititsh Birds. I am fully aware that the American Goldfinch is different from the ones found in the British Isles. The artlicle is factual, and is on the British Goldfinch, photos of which had been posted by Highlander and others. As I said in my post, I watch them feed several times each day, from the niger feeder some three feet from my window, and I am unable to determine which is male or female.

Of course, I wasn't sugesting you were wrong, just checking because I had the same problem myself checking on some birds! I have never seen a European Goldfinch for real but see american ones all the time.

Ricco
15-Jul-07, 07:57
I have also noticed little difference between male and female goldfinches. We have several breeding pairs and I understand that the only difference is that the female does not have the red head colouring.

Cute that this one is feeding a baby sparrow - like any of us might give a neighbours crying hungry child something to nibble. Natural reaction to a pleading mouth, I guess.