PDA

View Full Version : New shopping complex/ centre beside Tesco- VOTE

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 19:36
To show the basic idea of what people think, vote! :D

It's not anonymous!

Ash
08-Jul-07, 19:59
we should get more shops, why on earth shouldnt we!
but why on earth does everything have to be in wick?
what does thurso have? a cinema thats all and overpriced shops![evil]

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 20:03
we should get more shops, why on earth shouldnt we!
but why on earth does everything have to be in wick?
what does thurso have? a cinema thats all and overpriced shops![evil]

Well, yes but if some major shops were put in Thurso and some in Wick then it would be awkward for people to travel to two different places to get to different shops. I know it's not very convenient for the people living in the Thurso area but it's easier than them having to do shopping in Thurso and travel to Wick when they can do all their shopping in one place at once.

Also, I believe Wick is known as the capital of the north of Scotland therefore it should be showing reputation for it's title by attracting as many people as possible. Just like Inverness is the capital of the Highlands as it is where all the main businesses are situated.

Ash
08-Jul-07, 20:08
Well, yes but if some major shops were put in Thurso and some in Wick then it would be awkward for people to travel to two different places to get to different shops. I know it's not very convenient for the people living in the Thurso area but it's easier than them having to do shopping in Thurso and travel to Wick when they can do all their shopping in one place at once.

Also, I believe Wick is known as the capital of the north of Scotland therefore it should be showing reputation for it's title by attracting as many people as possible. Just like Inverness is the capital of the Highlands as it is where all the main businesses are situated.

no disrespect to people who live in wick but i find it very run down, there would be no harm in thurso having some better shops rather than having to travel to wick when ever they want different things..........

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 20:12
no disrespect to people who live in wick but i find it very run down, there would be no harm in thurso having some better shops rather than having to travel to wick when ever they want different things..........

Run down? Maybe but that's why we need these shops to bring it back to life a bit! :D Wick IS getting better. It may be taking its time but it is happening. Lots of old buildings near the harbour are now being turned into luxury town houses.

It's the only way Wick is going to see more visitors. They need it more than Thurso at the moment.

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 20:14
Remember to give your reasons for your vote everyone! :D

TRUCKER
08-Jul-07, 20:35
Wick is getting better and with more shops there is more money getting spent in the county.

©Amethyst
08-Jul-07, 20:39
I'm undecided on this - on one hand you already have Tesco in Wick and a few other good shoppies... on the other hand - let Thurso have some good shops! Still, something else in Wick other than a big supermarket and you might have something not so 'touristy' to offer people who visit the area often - after all, Caithness, no matter where... well, it could do with attracting people.

It would mean that money already in the area will be spent in the area instead of so much of it being spent in Inverness, I guess that's my main point.

concerned resident
08-Jul-07, 21:15
I can only say good luck to Wick, they deserve it. Thurso had its chance, and blew it. I live in Thurso and get my shopping and petrol in Wick, it just means i will get a better selection of shops to chose from. and better value for my money, so that will be a bonus.

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 21:16
So what's the reasons from those against it?

itsteven
08-Jul-07, 21:23
i think it will be good for wick and more jobs :D

Maegwynn
08-Jul-07, 21:27
I'm for this...basically more shops=more jobs.

SNOWDOG
08-Jul-07, 21:27
We need to get away from this Wick/Thurso divide thing folks. We all live in Caithness and as far as im concerned the more people who stay here to spend their hard earned, the better. Inverness will manage quite well without us. Yes, before you start, i know it doesnt matter when your dealing with big national companies, but if people find they no longer need to go south o' the ord for retail reasons, that can only be a good thing!

Rheghead
08-Jul-07, 21:30
Isn't it a bit daft asking someone their reasons for having no opinion when they have no opinion?:)

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 21:32
i think it will be good for wick and more jobs :D

Good point!

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 21:34
Isn't it a bit daft asking someone their reasons for having no opinion when they have no opinion?:)

They can have a reason for having no opinion on this topic. Whether it is because they don't care about it or whether they are fed up about topics like this or whether they are just unsure about what they think.

henry20
08-Jul-07, 21:35
Run down? Maybe but that's why we need these shops to bring it back to life a bit! :D Wick IS getting better. It may be taking its time but it is happening. Lots of old buildings near the harbour are now being turned into luxury town houses.

It's the only way Wick is going to see more visitors. They need it more than Thurso at the moment.

Sorry, but any new shops going into a retail park aren't going to change the run down look of ANY high street - Wick or further south.

We need to get away from this Wick/Thurso divide thing folks. We all live in Caithness and as far as im concerned the more people who stay here to spend their hard earned, the better. Inverness will manage quite well without us. Yes, before you start, i know it doesnt matter when your dealing with big national companies, but if people find they no longer need to go south o' the ord for retail reasons, that can only be a good thing!

I used to love going to Inverness so that I could do a big Tesco shop. Was delighted when they came to Wick, but now I'm bored of it and much rather the Co-op. Also, once we get all the new stores, we'll soon get bored and want to go south for a bit of variety - surely people from Inverness go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for a bit of variety - I certainly know of a few that do.

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 21:43
Sorry, but any new shops going into a retail park aren't going to change the run down look of ANY high street - Wick or further south.

Maybe so but it will liven the place up a bit though.

mccaugm
08-Jul-07, 21:47

I tend to agree with that statement..they tart up the roads and pavements which just enhances how ugly/dirty the buildings are in the High Street. A lick of paint or a damn good wash would help enormously.

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 22:00
I tend to agree with that statement..they tart up the roads and pavements which just enhances how ugly/dirty the buildings are in the High Street. A lick of paint or a damn good wash would help enormously.

A Random-ish comment... I was away in St Andrews this week and I noticed that the council had put chewing gum recycling bins on lots of lamp posts. I thought this was a very good idea and you hardly saw any chewing gum on the streets at all. Maybe this should be a suggestion for the Highland Council.

corgiman
08-Jul-07, 23:18
I think it's good that Wick's councillors obviously have it's best interests at heart as opposed to Thurso's who have given us no choice but to travel to Wick. If Thurso is suffering it the fault of those councillors, I went to Wick at the weekend to do a birthday clothes shop with my wife and daughter and was delighted to get £211 worth of clothes in new look in their sale for £89 why am I gonna shop in Thurso when I can make savings like that in Wick.

anneoctober
08-Jul-07, 23:20
More jobs in the County, more choice. I'm fortunate that if I wish to shop in Inverness/Edinburgh, I can . Many others cannot eg. disabled, elderly & lower incomes. I'm sure they'd welcome more choice and hopefully with a bit of competition LOWER prices .

NickInTheNorth
09-Jul-07, 01:07
I'm against it. There is not the customer base in the far north of Scotland to sustain large retail outlets, that is why there are so few here. OK they'll come along because whoever develops the site (if it happens) will throw sweeteners at them and they will do it for the short term. But eventually reality will bite, the rents will prove to be too high vis-a-vis the level of business they are doing and they will close again.

In the meanwhile the local shops that no doubt don't stock everything everyone would like to see will suffer and many will close there doors. If this sort of development goes ahead then the long term losers will be the people of Caithness and Sutherland.

And I will be delighted if in ten years time someone would print off these words on a good thick paper and make me eat them :D

NickInTheNorth
09-Jul-07, 01:09
I think it's good that Wick's councillors obviously have it's best interests at heart as opposed to Thurso's who have given us no choice but to travel to Wick. If Thurso is suffering it the fault of those councillors, I went to Wick at the weekend to do a birthday clothes shop with my wife and daughter and was delighted to get £211 worth of clothes in new look in their sale for £89 why am I gonna shop in Thurso when I can make savings like that in Wick.

No, sorry to correct you, but you got precisely £89 worth of clothes, previously labelled higher :eek:

corgiman
09-Jul-07, 09:42
well I would rather be able to pay the £89 than fork out the £211 and had I bought the same amount locally where I used to have to shop then lord knows what it would have cost

brandy
09-Jul-07, 10:27
i am all for it.. more jobs first of all, more choice secondly, and third, its just not wick and thurso that is the cust. base.. you have the islands and all of caithness. and its 6 1/2 a dozen for peeps in golspie to come up or go down to inverness.

saxovtr
09-Jul-07, 10:45
i think its an awesome idea for the reason it will create more jobs and reduce the unemployment rate!!!i still think facility should be built for young people to keep them from being bored and vandalising stuff,first personto come up with the idea of building a go kart track up here will be sitting on a gold mine i for 1 would be on it every day!!! it is alot of money to build 1 i understand but it would be popular,people complain alot about vandalism etc well make your opinions clear and get something done about it,as iam young myself i do get bored at times(but dont vandalise,im not that stupid)i do admit though i get really bored often going with mates to invergordon for go karting(when it was open) and then taking the extra trip to inverness to go around the shops(at least there stock change regularly unlike NEW LOOK) what an ironic name would be better off being called old look the mens jeans havnt changed since opening!!!!

then there is the customer service complete crap,i have had 6weeks training on customer service and most shops i walk into obviously havnt,except the newsagents with older people working in they are ace crack!!!

Whitewater
09-Jul-07, 11:21
My vote was "For", better selection and it will make our local shops get off their fat bottoms if they want to compete. You only have to look at the high standards of the local shops in Tain, Alness, Kirkwall and Lerwick to see why there are so many charity shops in our mainstreet. Having said that I think the small shops are being ripped of with the local Council Tax. Many of the charity shops cheat a bit by selling new goods.

Royster1911
09-Jul-07, 19:34

This sounds like the piffle from a politician. Wick and its people deserve the shops it has and the shops that may yet come, but CAPITAL, Your having a laugh. Where does it mention that? I may have missed it but please enlighten me

Royster1911
09-Jul-07, 19:45
Having responded to one of the posters on this thread, I decided to vote as requested. However, I was not allowed to as it stated that I had already voted. Where did my vote go? Was it FOR or AGAINST or NO OPINION? Anyone help with this?:confused

WeeBurd
09-Jul-07, 21:52
Having responded to one of the posters on this thread, I decided to vote as requested. However, I was not allowed to as it stated that I had already voted. Where did my vote go? Was it FOR or AGAINST or NO OPINION? Anyone help with this?:confused

You're down as a "for" Royster - if you click the number of votes for each option at the top of the page, you'll be able to see how everyone has voted.

laguna2
09-Jul-07, 21:54
Thanks Weeburd, I didn't know that you could do that!

WeeBurd
09-Jul-07, 21:57
Thanks Weeburd, I didn't know that you could do that!

You're very welcome:D.

rfr10
09-Jul-07, 22:26
This sounds like the piffle from a politician. Wick and its people deserve the shops it has and the shops that may yet come, but CAPITAL, Your having a laugh. Where does it mention that? I may have missed it but please enlighten me

Wick has always been known as the capital of the north. I didn't really hear it anywhere, it's just one of these things you know. It's title is slowly fading away by the looks of it but it definitly has achieved the title- Capital of the North.

rfr10
09-Jul-07, 22:33
Well I'm sure we can all see where the majority is at at the moment anyway. Let's admit it, all those who say they are against it, I bet you will all still go and shop there?

NickInTheNorth
09-Jul-07, 22:42
I'm sure I will if there are any shops worth seeing, doesn't mean I'm in favour, or that I think it will be beneficial to the area.

Nettie
09-Jul-07, 23:17
I have to say I am against further development on the outer edge of Wick town. It will destroy business in the town centre and all the older, long established shops will suffer.:(

Camel Spider
10-Jul-07, 01:28
I have been home once for just a few days since the Tesco opened and I also had a look up at the shops near Lidl. I think its a good thing for the people who live in Wick and if smaller buisnesses suffer then thats just a big hint to improve your service. No one in Buisness has right to be succesful. When I lived at home I remember going to Inverness for a CD as I got tired of waiting for the Music Shop to order it, have been told it is closed now.

changilass
10-Jul-07, 13:01
I'll reserve judgement till I see what shops arrive.

Ash
10-Jul-07, 13:17
i like the new shops that wick has but as far as tescos goes i couldnt shop there the whole time, they ARENT cheaper and i have to travel through which costs more, last time i did a food shop i harldy bought anything and it was rather expensive, New Look has stopped doing bigger sizes for the bustier women,Argos customer service is very bad....... only place i like really is superdrug. Thurso should get a chemist that opens on a sunday as most of the supermarkets dont stock these things, its a pain for the people who live in thurso who have to do without!

floyed
10-Jul-07, 18:16
I cant wait to get more shops:D

rfr10
10-Jul-07, 18:43
I cant wait to get more shops:D

Good good :) Same here, just hope we get more shops for young people this time too.

Next, The Officers Club, USC, Schu and JJB Sports will do me fine.

ks
10-Jul-07, 19:23
i like the new shops that wick has but as far as tescos goes i couldnt shop there the whole time, they ARENT cheaper and i have to travel through which costs more, last time i did a food shop i harldy bought anything and it was rather expensive, New Look has stopped doing bigger sizes for the bustier women,Argos customer service is very bad....... only place i like really is superdrug. Thurso should get a chemist that opens on a sunday as most of the supermarkets dont stock these things, its a pain for the people who live in thurso who have to do without!

I too find that Tesco can be quite expensive for food shopping but at least they have excellent customer services compared to Argos!

bagpuss
10-Jul-07, 23:53
Oh dear, the same old song- again.

More retail park space? So why no word of a cinema/ice rink/sports facility? Surely Wick cannot survive on shops alone?

Now let me see- what could you have now? Primark? Matalan?Texstyle World? The Bed Shed? DFS?MFI? Or if you're really lucky, M&S (their profits are down I hear) Debenhams or in your dreams Harvey Nicks.

But what's this I hear? The 99p shop in Wick has closed due to lack of customers, and the charity shops seem to be having a hard time too. Interest rates are rising, so there won't be quite so much cash to go around. Are more shops for the sake of shops such a good idea?

Perhaps Wick needs to be a tad cautious with this next development. Some of the people who worked in Homebase when it opened have since moved on to Tesco......and what will happen when the next load of shops open? That's right, they'll take on experienced staff with a good CV

My good friends tell me that the new houses being built are attracting more people to come and live in Caithness. So why has the infrastructure not developed apace? Where is the third secondary school, the mid Caithness leisure centre and the dual carriageway from Inverness to Wick?

Get real folk - the developers are laughing all the way to the bank

saxovtr
11-Jul-07, 08:58

More retail park space? So why no word of a cinema/ice rink/sports facility? Surely Wick cannot survive on shops alone?

Now let me see- what could you have now? Primark? Matalan?Texstyle World? The Bed Shed? DFS?MFI? Or if you're really lucky, M&S (their profits are down I hear) Debenhams or in your dreams Harvey Nicks.

But what's this I hear? The 99p shop in Wick has closed due to lack of customers, and the charity shops seem to be having a hard time too. Interest rates are rising, so there won't be quite so much cash to go around. Are more shops for the sake of shops such a good idea?

Perhaps Wick needs to be a tad cautious with this next development. Some of the people who worked in Homebase when it opened have since moved on to Tesco......and what will happen when the next load of shops open? That's right, they'll take on experienced staff with a good CV

My good friends tell me that the new houses being built are attracting more people to come and live in Caithness. So why has the infrastructure not developed apace? Where is the third secondary school, the mid Caithness leisure centre and the dual carriageway from Inverness to Wick?

Get real folk - the developers are laughing all the way to the bank

i agree need more facilitys somenew shops would be handy as stated before some arent replacing stock!!! is this actually going to happen or is it a load of rubbish!!

Angela
11-Jul-07, 09:11

Oh dear, bagpuss, the same old post - again!

Just what you were saying several months ago -before you departed for the cosmopolitan shopping delights of London...:roll:

crashbandicoot1979
11-Jul-07, 09:24
I voted no. I might change my mind once I know which shops/facilities are coming.

I'm not against development or new shops but I think that Bagpuss hasa point. New houses are springing up all over and I think the county needs more facilities to cope with the expected population increase - schools, doctors, dentists, recreational activities/amenities, better roads, better public transport services around the county, regeneration of the town centres etc. I think these problems should be addressed before a new retail park is considered.

elamanya
11-Jul-07, 10:19
wouldnt it be great with all this new devolpments that seem to keep coming , that some one would actually do something with the old chinese restuarant building on francis street, sure it would make some nice flats or a couple of shops, and also the old picture house, after all it is one of the first things people see when coming in to the town from the north and the south .... well after they see the new shopping complexes that is , after seeing them ,then seeing the old fallen down boarded up buildings would you stop in the town !!!!!!!

bagpuss
11-Jul-07, 22:55
Thankyou Angela for reminding me that as a Londoner I have sufficient retail opportunities, and that the Wickers need similar choice.

My posting this time however places focus on the other things that Caithness might actually need. No-one's pockets are limitless, and shopping, no matter how pleasurable isn't the be all and end all of life.

WeeBurd
11-Jul-07, 23:07
Thankyou Angela for reminding me that as a Londoner I have sufficient retail opportunities, and that the Wickers need similar choice.

My posting this time however places focus on the other things that Caithness might actually need. No-one's pockets are limitless, and shopping, no matter how pleasurable isn't the be all and end all of life.

That's as may be Bagpuss, but to be honest, your childsh rant back in January (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=182669#post182669) has made it impossible for me (and likely others too) to even consider anything you have to say on this subject. You made your feelings quite clear back then.[disgust]

Tristan
12-Jul-07, 08:39

At the moment the population of Caithness is at best stable and according to The Highland Council in slight decline http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/FCA4438E-B5DB-476A-AAF8-1D263436B86B/0/bn4sape2004.pdf

The number of school aged pupils is certainly in decline across the Highlands and especially in Caithness so there is no need for a third secondary school.
Dual carriagway? Caithness may get one, but I think the Inverness to Perth road would be upgraded first. You could argue with all the shops there would be no need for a dual carriageway :D.
The sports centre would be good, but even without it there are a wealth of sporting activities to up here from swimming, sailing, gyms, kayaking, "hill" walking, scuba diving, horseback riding, martial arts, dancing, football, rugby etc.
I don't know what population is needed to support these shops but I would have thought with Caithness and the surrounding area there are 30-40,000+ consumers so a few more wouldn't hurt.

As for the developer laughing all the way to the bank, they are in it to make money so perhaps that is not a bad thing.

MISS K
12-Jul-07, 09:09
That's as may be Bagpuss, but to be honest, your childsh rant back in January (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=182669#post182669) has made it impossible for me (and likely others too) to even consider anything you have to say on this subject. You made your feelings quite clear back then.[disgust]
You go WeeBurd couldnt agree with you more, here we go again YAWN;)

peter macdonald
12-Jul-07, 13:48
"I'm not against development or new shops but I think that Bagpuss hasa point. New houses are springing up all over and I think the county needs more facilities to cope with the expected population increase - schools, doctors, dentists, recreational activities/amenities, better roads, better public transport services around the county, regeneration of the town centres etc. I think these problems should be addressed before a new retail park is considered."

Crash I agree with you on your "wish list" but basically road improvements ,public transport policy ,and schools provision are the remit of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh and cost a heck of a lot more than a retail park One very valid point is that of the regeneration of Wick town centre ...Very shortly we will have even more empty buildings down there if the Highland council goes ahead with its idea to move out I think they use 4-5 different premises at the moment The cost of these new offices has never been made public to my knowledge neither has the site been named The one thing for sure is that is going to cost a lot of money which as we know will be either increased council tax bills or a reduction in services !!!

Anyway I voted for in this one as better money is spent in Caithness than down the A9 as at least it will give some more employment up here
PM

henry20
12-Jul-07, 14:16
YAS!!!!!!

I've been struggling to decide what to vote - then I re-read the question
More shops beside Tesco, For or Against?
so its a definite against from me - I don't know why I struggled with my vote for so long!!

I'm not against more shops - as long as they are the right ones - but I am against them being out of town. Anything that means other firms on the high street may have to board up and leave a derelict town centre is a big no in my books!!

OK, someone is bound to bring up the 'they've been ripping us off for years card' (which I don't agree with in all shops) but whether or not businesses suffer with competition isn't my issue - if for every shop that closed, another one opened, I'd rather it was in the town centre.

scorrie
13-Jul-07, 14:53
More shops does not equate to more jobs. Take a look at Tesco in Wick and see how many of the staff are ex-Somerfield or from other existing businesses. If you wander down to Somerfield you will see that they are operating with a virtual skeleton staff these days. People who have left are not being replaced in the main. Somerfield staff now have to multi-task and it was accepted from the off that they could not compete with Tesco. If you visit the Co-op a similar tale of spot the employee is evident.

Consumers only have so much money to spend, therefore, money spent in a new shop is money that is lost to another, existing, shop. I am aware that DR's and the Corner Shop have had to lay off staff and/or reduce hours and there is no longer a till in the area of the shop that sells books. Christie's are closing due to not meeting their sales targets and the general feel of Wick Town Centre is one of decay.

I look back at all the theories that were given in support of building a Tesco and recall that some opined that Tesco would make the Town Centre busier than ever and actually help the smaller, existing businesses. There is no evidence of that at all. People talked about saving on their weekly shopping, yet everyone I have talked to reports that they are spending more money than ever. The last time I read about the employment situation in Wick it was still reported to be a blackspot, so there is little evidence that Tesco has actually had a positive impact on reducing unemployment.

It is all very well to wish for the type of shops that Inverness has but we have not had the growth that Inverness has experienced over the past years nor its upgrade to City status. Genuine enchanced spending power in Caithness can only come via either higher salaries or greater numbers of consumers. That needs to come from greater opportunities for employment from companies willing to invest in businesses that are other than ones which require us to spend more in order to keep them sustained.

One thing is for sure, debt is one huge growth area in Caithness. Nobody likes to talk about it though.

peter macdonald
13-Jul-07, 16:17
I am aware that DR's and the Corner Shop have had to lay off staff and/or reduce hours and there is no longer a till in the area of the shop that sells books. Christie's are closing due to not meeting their sales targets and the general feel of Wick Town Centre is one of decay.

What has not helped the business s in the town centre is that High St Bridge St etc etc has being in a permanent state of roadworks over the last 18 months and I beleive it is to be dug up again soon for a new cable This situation wont be helped when the council move out to the new un named site at considerable cost I think though internet shopping has had more effect on town centres than is being realised especially with Amazon which have hit independant book sellers hard ... I would be interesting to know how MacAllans have fared with their venture into internet kilt sales etc
PM

scorrie
13-Jul-07, 17:51
What has not helped the business s in the town centre is that High St Bridge St etc etc has being in a permanent state of roadworks over the last 18 months and I beleive it is to be dug up again soon for a new cable This situation wont be helped when the council move out to the new un named site at considerable cost I think though internet shopping has had more effect on town centres than is being realised especially with Amazon which have hit independant book sellers hard ... I would be interesting to know how MacAllans have fared with their venture into internet kilt sales etc
PM

Perhaps the roadworks have had an impact, the internet definitely has. This does not change the fact that most of the blow we were given concerning the benefits Tesco was going to bring have come to little or nothing.

The notion that we can shop our way toward more full employment and a more stable local economy remains folly.

ruby
13-Jul-07, 20:50
I am for more shops more choice and more jobs

scorrie
13-Jul-07, 21:28
I am for more shops more choice and more jobs

Please supply some hard evidence to support this simplistic notion.

bagpuss
16-Jul-07, 00:04
Three points for consideration:
1) Class sizes in Scotland for S1/S2 pupils in subjects like English and Maths are supposed to average out at 20. Even with a static population, that means more teachers and more classrooms. Loads of incomers to Caithness mean that the school population is actually rising- wasn't it supposed to fall rapidly? Two good friends of mine who work in Wick and Thurso High schools tell me that new pupils join their schools every day- and there aren't many moving out. That is what I meant about the potential need for a third secondary school.
2) If Highland Council are planning on a Golspie style out of town development (and to where will all the disgruntled people need to take transport to air grievances in person, prithee?) why doesn't a developer try a centre of town mall. That way Wick could attract the likes of the smaller mall stores- East; Evans etc.
3) Small existing stores in the centre of towns like Wick and Thurso often operate on very small profit margins- which basically make up the owners' annual income. Bigger chains have to meet sizeable targets. I note with interest that two orgers mentioned staff cuts in bigger shops- when I did make a visit to Tesco the other night the only tills available were the self service ones.
And yes, I know I'm London based now- but I find myself having to face a temporary return to Caithness due to family illness. Any orger who wants to have a grievance out with me in person will find me in Wetherspoons every day next week from 10-11 am. I'll be wearing a black jacket with a pink carnation in the buttonhole and carrying a copy of the Times

hails4
16-Jul-07, 08:42
FOR:

WHY: im one of the younger generations that didnt move away, all across the UK the High Streets are becoming exactly the same, (McDonalds Currys Woolies etc) I would be delighted if Thurso DID NOT get the shops up there, as a previous poster has said they had their chance they blew it, also Thurso looks more run down that wick at the moment when walking along Trail street and adjoining streets, Wick has a fresh look to it with the kerbs and roads being redone in and around the town centre, however i really do hope that shops come into the town centre but there just is no space for them and i think it would be best that they are used as office space. Remember this is a human RACE, nice guys finish last etc. Wicks gotta seize the moment of before we know it, we'll be regretting it!

xx_chickie
16-Jul-07, 20:44
of course!! it must be good to see wick buzzing again after such a long time! we need more facilities and better shops! come on thorntons! hehe!

johno
17-Jul-07, 12:36
more variety+ more competition + more jobs = better prices, why not, has to be good for the consumer, im all for it and if its all in the one area , less hassle :cool:

scorrie
17-Jul-07, 14:53
more variety+ more competition + more jobs = better prices, why not, has to be good for the consumer, im all for it and if its all in the one area , less hassle :cool:

Where are people getting the "More Jobs" mantra from?

Since the new shops, including Tesco, opened, unemployment in Wick has risen.

From the Highland Council Website:-

"Wick has the highest unemployment rate and long term unemployment rate of all Highland Wards, and both have increased recently (at a time when rates throughout Highland and the rest of Scotland are generally decreasing)"

This is based on figures May 2007

Tilter
17-Jul-07, 19:53
haven't voted yet - but am going to vote no, I think.

Yes yes yes to new shops, but I don't see why they can't be fitted into old town centre shops. Could the council not offer incentives to high street chainstores to move into high street properties? If you go to any not very upmarket suburban town outside London, e.g., Blackheath, Eltham, Lewisham, etc., you find all the high street shops, e.g., Markies, Debenhams, Clarks, Next, Holland & Barrett, plus independent shops, all squished into Georgian or Victorian high streets just like ours. And they do well, and there's lots of people in the high street every day, unlike Wick these days. If people there do want to go to a mall they go to Bluewater or somewhere (like we'd go to Inverness).

I'm worried about what goes in the town centre - Wick or Thurso. Why do new shops have to be outwith W and T?

johno
17-Jul-07, 20:36

"Wick has the highest unemployment rate and long term unemployment rate of all Highland Wards, and both have increased recently (at a time when rates throughout Highland and the rest of Scotland are generally decreasing)"

well if thats the case there must be an awful lot of incomers to the town

Welcomefamily
18-Jul-07, 07:27
FOR:

WHY: im one of the younger generations that didnt move away, all across the UK the High Streets are becoming exactly the same, (McDonalds Currys Woolies etc) I would be delighted if Thurso DID NOT get the shops up there, as a previous poster has said they had their chance they blew it, also Thurso looks more run down that wick at the moment when walking along Trail street and adjoining streets, Wick has a fresh look to it with the kerbs and roads being redone in and around the town centre, however i really do hope that shops come into the town centre but there just is no space for them and i think it would be best that they are used as office space. Remember this is a human RACE, nice guys finish last etc. Wicks gotta seize the moment of before we know it, we'll be regretting it!
The main street going across the bridge in Wick looks terrible, I cant think of a worse advert for any town and the payment only make it worse. I can think of anywhere in Thurso thats gives that impression, in fact for a county town, its possible the worse in the UK

Ash
18-Jul-07, 08:32
[evil]How on earth can anyone say thurso is run down?
My god..... thurso is clean, tidy and people arent rude!
Whenever ive been through to wick, its dirty and run down looking, people are rude, had food in a well known place and me and my partner had food poisioning! Wick is trying to be made into something that it isnt!

scorrie
18-Jul-07, 09:57
well if thats the case there must be an awful lot of incomers to the town

WHY?

The population is actually down.

Why can't people accept the fact that the new shops are not the magic bullet that many expected?

Tristan
18-Jul-07, 10:21

I am not sure where one could get the statistics but it would be interesting to see what the impact of the shops across Caithness is. If as you say Wick's unemployment is rising while the rest of Caithness is dropping the shops could be hiring from outside the town.

WHY?

The population is actually down.

Why can't people accept the fact that the new shops are not the magic bullet that many expected?

Shops had been closing in the high street long before Tesco's and co came on the scene. New shops are not a magic bullet, but what are the alternatives?
Dounreay is shutting down and shedding workers to meet its targets - They are trying to keep it to those due to retire but there will be some impact on the younger population.
We have not had much luck bringing in new industry to the county to create jobs.
More could be done to promote tourism but that would be a partial cure.
On top of all that the population is at best stable but even at that there are significantly fewer pupils (with 1 or 2 exceptions) in primary schools across the county.
People like choice so shops are a start. What would you suggest to keep people here and boost the economy and do you have any suggestions on how to achieve it?

peter macdonald
18-Jul-07, 13:56
"More could be done to promote tourism but that would be a partial cure."

Caithness,s tourism potential has basically been ignored by almost everyone except those directly involved at grass roots level and by that I mean ignored by the powers that be while leaving the folk at the sharp end ie the B and Bs hoteliers etc to make their own way
We have had the systematic run down of the tourist offices ....we had blatent obstuction by certain folk in Inverness ie "there is nothing up there dont bother going" The editing of litrature which shows little or nothing about Caithness other than a place to catch the ferry to Orkney We had had obtruction for our local council officials ie How often did Cllr Billy Mowat go to the relevant council dept to ask about getting imformation boards for Whaligoe Sarclet and Clyth harbours only to be fobbed off by "Oh but if any thing happens then the council would be liable "??? Until recently how many people knew about the Archeological trail at Yarrows ?? Now that the road has been tarred its both accessable and on a par with anything in Scotland
A few years ago there was a dig at Roberts Haven at John O Groats which uncovered what was both one of the most elaborate and earliest industrial estates in Europe if not the world What happened ??? it was left to fill back in No notices... nothing !! That is only one aspect ..there are many Pictish ruins totally un noticed there are historic kirks like Dunnet with its connections to Timothy Pont the map maker Historic castles like Sinclair and Girnigoe with its Sinclair connections to Roslin chapel etc Aye i could go on but what really sums up what has/had been our local councils attitude to Tourism is the fact The Wick Heritage Society when it started got nothing except obstuction from the powers that be ...
The recent restoration of the ferry to the Faroes and Norway which incidently is only one of 3 ferries to Scandinavia from the UK (Newcastle Norway and Harwich to Denmark are the other two) is a great step in the right direction What it also needs is the Tourist bodies and the Highland council to get off their butts and market Caithness properly !!! Perhaps they find the concept of sustainable tourism a bit more difficult than selling plastic monsters beside Loch Ness
Sorry for the rant but when you see how well the Orkneys market tourism with probably the same or even less goodies than we have in Caithness !!!

I also think that any Scandinavian tourist would enjoy shopping at any retail outlets present or future in Caithness
PM

watman
20-Jul-07, 01:00
A decent national fitness centre like fitness first for example opening up would be of much more benefit than more shops and it might give all the youngsters that hang around the st or drive round and round in cricles like idiots something worthwhile to do.

candyfloss
20-Jul-07, 08:56
The main street going across the bridge in Wick looks terrible, I cant think of a worse advert for any town and the payment only make it worse. I can think of anywhere in Thurso thats gives that impression, in fact for a county town, its possible the worse in the UK
Worst in the UK :eek: that's a bit much.
This looks likes it's starting to be a Wick .v. Thurso thing again :roll:

scorrie
22-Jul-07, 23:23
[QUOTE=Tristan;243375

What would you suggest to keep people here and boost the economy and do you have any suggestions on how to achieve it?[/QUOTE]

Hi Tristan, Sorry for the delay in responding.

In my opinion, Caithness would be better embracing what it is, rather than trying to be something that it clearly is not.

If you look at the incentives for people to come from elsewhere to reside in Caithness, it is pretty obvious that the shops in the area are not going to be a priority. Most people are looking to get away from the rat-race in order settle into somewhere more remote, preferably with some local character. If they are looking for a Tesco, Asda etc, then there are many places further South that can satisfy their needs. If you were a prospective house hunter, would you really be looking at Wick and asking yourself how much it could be compared to Inverness?

I can remember being on holiday in Orkney in the early 90's. It was Sunday and we were informed that the Sunday Papers did not arrive in Orkney until Monday. The lad tried to apologise for this but I stopped him and said that this was part of the charm of Orkney. The trouble with Caithness is that we want to be part of the bright lights, rather than celebrate who we actually are.

More shops anyone? The money is fair burning a hol in ma poakid!!

bagpuss
24-Jul-07, 23:36
Using empty space in the town centre would be a good way forward- as would converting eyesore buildings into accomodation/business/retail premises.

During my short visit north however I went to the lovely cinema in Thurso- and to my horror there were only half a dozen people in the audience for a major blockbuster film.

I think use it or lose it is a message that Caithness has to take on board. The cinema is - to the best of my knowledge locally owned and run- how long would a chain keep it open if it didn't pull in big numbers?

As to the new shops- I'd love to see the smaller , more eclectic types of shop- yes Thorntons and McBeans would be an asset- but I suspect DFS and Land of Leather may be staking out that new pitch. So get out there folks and spend spend spend- and make sure that in five years time there aren't more eyesores crumbling before your eyes

rfr10
24-Jul-07, 23:47
Using empty space in the town centre would be a good way forward- as would converting eyesore buildings into accomodation/business/retail premises.

During my short visit north however I went to the lovely cinema in Thurso- and to my horror there were only half a dozen people in the audience for a major blockbuster film.

I think use it or lose it is a message that Caithness has to take on board. The cinema is - to the best of my knowledge locally owned and run- how long would a chain keep it open if it didn't pull in big numbers?

As to the new shops- I'd love to see the smaller , more eclectic types of shop- yes Thorntons and McBeans would be an asset- but I suspect DFS and Land of Leather may be staking out that new pitch. So get out there folks and spend spend spend- and make sure that in five years time there aren't more eyesores crumbling before your eyes

Maybe I should start a thread like I did before the retail park came up to say which shops did have plans to open up here but I suppose I'll wait until we actually hear more news about the retail park. Any shops people want me to find out about?