PDA

View Full Version : Cramp !

paris
08-Jul-07, 11:57
Has anyone got any good ideas for releaving cramp. Im being woken up in the night ( last 3 nights ) and as its in both legs i cant stand up , boy does it hurt. The following day i can hardly walk as it feels like ive been kicked by a horse ( yes i have been lol ) It feels like its going to go into a cramp again at any time. HELP Jan x:(

marylund2323
08-Jul-07, 12:42
i cant really help out on that one even though i do get it myself all the time....some idiot once told me that if you walk when you have leg cramps it will go away.....that person lied it just hurts like hell.....my advice is to lay there and wait it out

jim112233
08-Jul-07, 12:51
Try eating a banana before bed it helps you sleep and helps stop cramps doc told me that when i was preggers as i got em real bad at night

SJR
08-Jul-07, 12:52
A friend of mine suffers from cramps the whole time and finds that drinking Tonic Water daily helps! She seems to find it helps.

bluelady
08-Jul-07, 12:53
you can get quinine tabs from e doctor, but i have also read that if you drink tonic water that helps as it contains quinine. It has helped me and i get real painful cramps. :)

Angela
08-Jul-07, 12:58
A friend of mine suffers from cramps the whole time and finds that drinking Tonic Water daily helps! She seems to find it helps.

I think that would be the quinine in tonic water, it is supposed to help cramps.

I only get cramp in my left leg thankfully, usually at night - if I can manage to hop to a cold floor and put my left leg down on that, it does get better in time, but I agree, it's soooo painful. [evil]

I've heard that it can be caused by being dehydrated and/or a shortage of salt or minerals such as potassium...don't know if there's any truth in that though.:confused

bluelady
08-Jul-07, 13:03
I think that would be the quinine in tonic water, it is supposed to help cramps.

I only get cramp in my left leg thankfully, usually at night - if I can manage to hop to a cold floor and put my left leg down on that, it does get better in time, but I agree, it's soooo painful. [evil]

I've heard that it can be caused by being dehydrated and/or a shortage of salt or minerals such as potassium...don't know if there's any truth in that though.:confused

aye theres truth in that, i forgot to mention that, also poor circulation

dook
08-Jul-07, 13:09
Lots of potassium in bananas hence previous posting.

Angela
08-Jul-07, 13:13
Lots of potassium in bananas hence previous posting.

That's true. Wonder if that's partly why you see tennis players tucking into them so often?

No good to me, sadly, I'm allergic to bananas....:(

Metalattakk
08-Jul-07, 13:34
If you get cramp in the back of the leg, the best thing to do is to straighten the leg (locking the knee) and pull your toes up towards your chin, as far as they'll stretch. While doing this, you should be breathing deeply.

This opens the blood flow to the affected area, and the increased oxygen in the blood can get there quickly.

helenwyler
08-Jul-07, 13:47
Hello Paris:D Yep, quinine's the thing to take.
My sister-in-law is a GP in Stirling and she's told me about this and uses it herself.

Apparently it used to be used to treat malaria, and is also a good analgesic and anti-inflammatory treatment. Good excuse for a gin 'n tonic or two[lol]!

bluelady
08-Jul-07, 14:41
That's true. Wonder if that's partly why you see tennis players tucking into them so often?

No good to me, sadly, I'm allergic to bananas....:(

och well you just have to settle for lots of Gin and Tonics then Angela - Hic [lol]

Ricco
08-Jul-07, 15:01
Hi, Paris

As a kid I used to get cramps all the time - had to take quinine sulphate tablets. Don'y know if you can still get them. Don't waste your money on Crampex, or Crampese (can't remember what its called) - total waste of time. I still get some cramps - try drinking a glass of water before you go to bed, cut back on the booze a little (makes cramp more likely) and I sometimes find a lick of salt helps with a particularly bad spell. It IS better to get out of bed and try to stretch the cramp out but, yes, it does hurt like hell to begin with.

horseman
08-Jul-07, 16:07
Hi, Paris

As a kid I used to get cramps all the time - had to take quinine sulphate tablets. Don'y know if you can still get them. Don't waste your money on Crampex, or Crampese (can't remember what its called) - total waste of time. I still get some cramps - try drinking a glass of water before you go to bed, cut back on the booze a little (makes cramp more likely) and I sometimes find a lick of salt helps with a particularly bad spell. It IS better to get out of bed and try to stretch the cramp out but, yes, it does hurt like hell to begin with.

Some o your bits I like,an some I'm no so keen on,:Razz

katarina
08-Jul-07, 16:37
I get them too. sometimes standing on cold floor does no good at all. At these times having a hot bath seems to be the only relief I get. tonic water also helps, also stretching the muscles before you go to bed. Stand about a foot away from the wall. With feet kept flat on the floor, and legs straight, lean untill your chest is against the wall, you should really feel the muscles in the back of your legs. then do press ups against the wall. if this doesn't work increase them.

htwood
08-Jul-07, 16:42
I used to get leg cramps in the night, espec after scottish dance class. My doc said low levels of certain minerals known as electrolytes—magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium—are linked to leg cramps. I was taking a handful of supplements before bed, then I saw Sassy drinking Gatorade during dance class, which has all those electrolytes in it. She's way ahead of me lol
Doc also said to keep the blankets at the end of bed really loose, so there's no pressure on your feet, which can twist your leg into odd stretches.
good luck, nothing worse that leaping out of bed in pain.

porshiepoo
08-Jul-07, 16:46
I get them all the time Paris, mainly in my calf. If you're getting them in your calf then the only sure way I know of is to stretch the foot. Try to point your toes to the ceiling as far back as you can. Imagine when you were horse riding and you had to push your heels down and toes up? Same thing!
It really does work!!! :)

paris
08-Jul-07, 19:33
Thanks all for your suggestions , hope it doesnt happen again tonight as im feeling really old today what with walking as if ive been hit by a bus. :lol: jan x

rfr10
08-Jul-07, 19:59
Haven't read the suggestions already but-

1. Drink warm water with a little salt.

2. Eat a banana (the potassium in the banana helps prevent cramp)

3. Put the leg with out cramp in front of you and the leg with cramp behind you. Put the toe area of the foot of the leg with cramp so that it is the only surface of the feet which is touching the ground and then push back on that foot for a short while and it should help.

4. Sit down, raise your leg and then move your foot back and forth vertically. You should feel the muscles in your leg streching.

5. To prevent it. Every morning or when you have been sitting down for a while. Get up and stretch your legs.

©Amethyst
08-Jul-07, 20:34
Thanks all for your suggestions , hope it doesnt happen again tonight as im feeling really old today what with walking as if ive been hit by a bus. :lol: jan x

Don't know your age, but don't say that you're feeling old... if it's due to lack of sleep because of the cramps - hope you get good sleep, too.

I know this page is for excersise induced cramps>> http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/cramps.html

I can recommend the ice one - although I just get my partner to grab the frozen peas out the freezer as it saves fumbling with ice cube tray lol.

paris
08-Jul-07, 20:45
Don't know your age, but don't say that you're feeling old... if it's due to lack of sleep because of the cramps - hope you get good sleep, too.

I know this page is for excersise induced cramps>> http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/cramps.html

I can recommend the ice one - although I just get my partner to grab the frozen peas out the freezer as it saves fumbling with ice cube tray lol.
Hi Amethyst, im 47 yrs young at the end of the month but feel like im in my 90s, ive always had a problem with cramp but not for days at a time and my legs now feel so painful its driveing me mad !:~( jan x

Lolabelle
08-Jul-07, 22:53
Do you drink much water, I am pretty sure that dehydration can contribute.
I only get cramps when I haven't drank enough. You know what they say, "2 litres a day keeps the cramps away." Ok, well I made that up, but still, water is supposed to help.

mccaugm
09-Jul-07, 08:28
If you get cramp in the back of the leg, the best thing to do is to straighten the leg (locking the knee) and pull your toes up towards your chin, as far as they'll stretch. While doing this, you should be breathing deeply.

This opens the blood flow to the affected area, and the increased oxygen in the blood can get there quickly.

Spot on and with a bit of perseverance it does work.

sassylass
09-Jul-07, 17:15
Voice of Experience speaking: gentle stretching will relieve cramps and eating bananas plus drinking quinine and Gatorade will prevent them. Not much sadder than a person writhing in pain, especially when you blink through the tears and realize that person is yourself :eek:

©Amethyst
11-Jul-07, 20:59
Hi Amethyst, im 47 yrs young at the end of the month but feel like im in my 90s, ive always had a problem with cramp but not for days at a time and my legs now feel so painful its driveing me mad !:~( jan x

crikey - every day? Not so good!

Have any of the suggestions here been of any help to you?

stevep
11-Jul-07, 21:08
Not sure if there is any scientific supporting evidence but I always used to suffer from cramp after football and salt & vinegar crisps worked a treat. I'm sure someone once told me that cramp was could be caused by low salt levels so perhaps this is the reason why it worked.

Julia
11-Jul-07, 23:34
I hardly ever suffer from cramp but lately I've been having a lot of it and always the calf muscle, the pain is unreal and it always happens at night when I'm asleep, it takes me ages to figure out which way to point my foot to relieve the spasm even though I know how to do it I get it wrong every time. Worse still it's happened a couple of times while breastfeeding the baby, it's so painful!

JAWS
12-Jul-07, 03:24
I was always led to believe that lack of salt was one of the main causes of cramp and it certainly seems to be so.
Take a look at http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/cramps.html
It seems to give plenty of information about the causes and methods of dealing with Cramp from various causes.

Echidna
12-Jul-07, 05:25
Has anyone got any good ideas for releaving cramp. .. HELP Jan x:(

I use Magnesium Phosphate [Mag. Phos.] tissue salts to relieve cramp

I just take a few tablets a month and if I feel the onset in the interim just take a couple more...does the trick

I have not suffered for years since using this basic homeopathic type remedy

:D

Jill
12-Jul-07, 10:25
Someone has already pointed out that it can be a deficiency of minerals such as calcium and potassium ... I get cramp at night (but then I'm pregnant so i guess it's to be expected!) and I find a bowl of cereal or a glass of milk before bed does help to reduce the liklihood of it happening. I guess different things work for different people depending on the reason for the cramps in the first place!

Jill
12-Jul-07, 10:28
Paris - the cramps could have caused you to pull a muscle or muscles in your legs, hence why it is still so painful now. Ouch!

Julia - oooh been there - horrible isn't it? Try to get into the habit of circling your ankles whilst feeding, that often helps.

mama2
12-Jul-07, 20:43
I used to suffer leg cramps during the night with both of my pregnancies and I found that doing leg stretches before bed made the world of difference.

stratman
14-Jul-07, 08:40
Paris,
Cramp is often my companion during the night. It wakes me up painfully as i drift of. It is normally in my calves. I find that if I put my fet up agains the tail board as if I were standing on it, not allowing my toes to point, that helps prevent cramp for a little longer. Of curse I drift of and shuffle about, point my toes and ouchh!! Hope this helps. You could always lie upside down in the bed and use the headboard if you have no tail board.

poppett
14-Jul-07, 11:00
Tonic water and Bitter lemon both contine quinnine which helps cramp, but also can cause extra night time visits to the loo as quinnine is a diruetic.

A banana a day, and a bad of crisps, not necessarily together seems to keep the salt/potassium balance right. I have recommended it to a few people and they all agreed that within a week it worked and the cramps did not return until they stopped the bananas and crisps.

Might be worth a try.