PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED****baby thrush****

thickrodney
08-Jul-07, 09:38
we have rescued a baby thrush from a cat.
He seems ok and is very hungry.
Anyone got any advice please?

fred
08-Jul-07, 10:07
we have rescued a baby thrush from a cat.
He seems ok and is very hungry.

Make it a little nest somewhere warm and quiet, feed it with complete dog food soaked in water, don't handle it more than you have to.

thickrodney
08-Jul-07, 10:41
Make it a little nest somewhere warm and quiet, feed it with complete dog food soaked in water, don't handle it more than you have to.

OK, thanks, will give it a go.

Liz
08-Jul-07, 13:04
If you give the SSPCA a ring they will help.:D

Ricco
08-Jul-07, 15:04
Ask Neepnipper for advice - she seems very good at this sort of thing.

neepnipper
08-Jul-07, 16:00
It needs to be kept warm, a hospital cage is perfect, or an airing cupboard or a box with a covered hot water water just kept cosy warm, about 75 - 80 degree air temperature.

Find out what thrushes eat, I would guess small clean earthworms, meal worms (dried from Pets at Home or I think you could get live ones from the fishing shop down from the post office in Wick), cooked egg yolk mixed to a paste with water and given with a pipette or syringe, will need to be fed about every 2 hours. We leave our housemartins 6 hours overnight and they seem fine.

Good luck!

sassylass
08-Jul-07, 17:22
here's me, reading your title to mean that your baby has a yeast infection in her mouth [lol]

thickrodney
08-Jul-07, 20:14
thanks for all your messages,
She seems to be doing fine.

Liz
08-Jul-07, 23:01
thanks for all your messages,
She seems to be doing fine.

That's good news and well done for caring for the poor wee thing.

It's usually shock which kills wild birds.

Margaret M.
09-Jul-07, 01:02
Way to go -- another fine citizen helping our feathered friends. :)

thickrodney
28-Jul-07, 20:51
ok,
we have nursed him back to health(still got a gammy leg).

My scalextric is covered in ****

here he is

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/nickydoc/birdie.jpg

we let him out a few times in the garden and now he is gone, since Tuesday.
However we saw him today in the garden with another thrush.

Maybe it WAS worth it.

:)

karia
28-Jul-07, 20:56
More than worth it!

Absolutely brilliant....Well done !:D

Thanks for sharing.

Karia

helenwyler
28-Jul-07, 20:58
Definitely worth it, thickrodney! What a fine-looking bird - well done:)!

captainpugwash
28-Jul-07, 22:32

Eat it, they are a great source of protein. If you can get hold of a pigeon, a pheasant, a chicken and a turkey then you can do a combined roast.

Recipe:

Stuff the turkey with the chicken, stuff the chicken with the pheasant, stuff the pheasant with the pigeon and stuff the pigeon with the thrush... roast for 5 hours on gas mark 7 (baste frequently) delicious!

WeeBurd
28-Jul-07, 22:45
ok,
we have nursed him back to health(still got a gammy leg).

My scalextric is covered in ****

we let him out a few times in the garden and now he is gone, since Tuesday.
However we saw him today in the garden with another thrush.

Maybe it WAS worth it.

Well done Rodney, your birdie is looking mighty fine. Job well done!:D

northener
28-Jul-07, 23:45
Nice one, Rodney.

All you need to do now is arm yourself with a just-under-the legal-limit .22 Air rifle and thin out all those murdering felines.

Well done, hope the fat spuggie does well!

Riffman
29-Jul-07, 00:37
Nice one, Rodney.

All you need to do now is arm yourself with a just-under-the legal-limit .22 Air rifle and thin out all those murdering felines.

Well done, hope the fat spuggie does well!

A very stupid thing to do....no wonder airguns are always seen in a bad light, people like you don't help.

Cats eat birds, fact of life. That does not mean we cannot discourage the cat from doing it, but it is programmed into that little furry brain that things with wings (except planes) are food.

Glad you got the little fella back to health and off again for another shot at life.

marjoalba
29-Jul-07, 15:37
I once had thrush; the doctor can give you cream. I never had a cat though. If it was up to me, I'd be happy to see cats become extinct.

Please don't be offended, I don't mean wild cats just these flea-bitten "domestic" wheeze-inducing bin rakers.

johno
29-Jul-07, 15:46
I once had thrush; the doctor can give you cream. I never had a cat though. If it was up to me, I'd be happy to see cats become extinct.

Please don't be offended, I don't mean wild cats just these flea-bitten "domestic" wheeze-inducing bin rakers.
not big on cats myself ,but dont think that i could ever do one any harm.
live & let live.
:~(