PDA

View Full Version : What would be your ideal job and why?

mccaugm
07-Jul-07, 00:24
I would love to be an estate agent. Especially being able to advise clients what improvements could be made to their properties to make them saleable....I think all those home improvement programmes have influenced me, Andrew Winter, Ann Maurice et al.:Razz

floyed
07-Jul-07, 00:30
I would love to work in a sweet shop so i could sample all the lovely sweeties mmm:lol:

Lolabelle
07-Jul-07, 01:04
I would love to be able to write full time, cause that mostly constitutes roaming around the internet looking for tit bits of information and hanging out on the org.
Oh and a bit of writing too.

Gizmo
07-Jul-07, 01:35
I'd love to work at the swimming pool as a lifeguard etc, i spend loads of time in the gym anyway...i just love the whole atmosphere of the place, i think it would be a fantastic place to work...but i'm a really rubbish swimmer so i don't think it will ever happen...shame :(

And i would have loved to have been an Ambulance Technician/Paramedic, i did look into it about 5 years ago, but you needed quite a few high school qualifications to get a look in....and i stupidly left school in 87 without sittting any of my exams cos' i had the chance of a job which earned a whole 70 quid a week at 15 years old.....doh!!....stoopid me

Or being a Beer Tester....that would be a fun job...lol

saxovtr
07-Jul-07, 10:18
working in a garage modifying / spraying cars full time,if only all people that modified a car were sensible unfortunately most of us are tar'd with the same brush!!! spraying a car and it going to a show and winning best paintwork would be awesome or seeing it on the front cover of a car magazine!!

basically because im always messing about with a car mechanically and spraying stuff!!

itsteven
07-Jul-07, 10:59
mine would be a shoe shop love shoes and hand bags they are my love :p

DarkAngel
07-Jul-07, 11:21
WAG....lol! Easy life and plenty money too! :lol:

Ricco
07-Jul-07, 20:30
Despite the occasional down day, I am pleased to say that I have the ideal job..... teaching children. Most of the time they make up for the kids I do not have. I love 'em all.

horseman
07-Jul-07, 21:24
Despite the occasional down day, I am pleased to say that I have the ideal job..... teaching children. Most of the time they make up for the kids I do not have. I love 'em all.

Mrs' h an me we have it,we don't teach em, not brainy enough for that:)
We keep em,'fostering' an it really is one of the lovelyiest of occupations:)

Fluff
07-Jul-07, 21:25
I love my current job, but if i could i would still love to join the navy.

Oddquine
07-Jul-07, 21:34
I'd have loved to have been a librarian.....all those books!

Kenn
07-Jul-07, 22:37
My ideal would be no job so that I could pursue all the leisure activities that I don't have time for, failing that mattress testing for a bedding firm.

Sandra_B
07-Jul-07, 22:40
Property developement/interior design. I've always been interested in that kind of thing, even took an interior design course about 20 years ago...never actually had the oppertunity to do anything with it though...

justine
07-Jul-07, 22:40
well being a mother of 8 children then i would say my ideal job would to be a midwife...just have to hold the urge to take the baby home...And as an update no/9 is doing fine...

blondscot
07-Jul-07, 22:52
anything connected with animals, wanted to be a vet but some aspects of that job i would find impossible to do! would love to have a rescue centre! the next choices would be a teacher or social worker

Liz
07-Jul-07, 22:57
anything connected with animals, wanted to be a vet but some aspects of that job i would find impossible to do! would love to have a rescue centre! the next choices would be a teacher or social worker

You already work with animals but just don't get paid for it!!! lol

Like you I would love to work with animals. If I win the lottery I will build a rescue centre and you can work there!!!

Victoria
08-Jul-07, 00:21
A gardener please!

Bobinovich
08-Jul-07, 10:06
I've got the perfect job - working with computers! Most of you are now thinking I must be certifiable but seriously it's great :D.

It was my hobby long before I started my business so I often feel like a pro golfer or snooker player in that I'm being paid to do something I've always loved.

Being self employed is brilliant - flexible hours so I can see the kids to school, and attend their races, events, etc. and can also work evenings from the house once they're in bed if we've got nothing else to do.

It does have it's down-sides though. You don't get paid for holidays or sick leave (I've hardly had any of either in 13 years!), and your finances can be a bit erm precarious at times, but all-in-all I wouldn't change a thing.

paris
08-Jul-07, 11:40
my perfect job would be to run my own karaoke...what a laugh it can be and what a brill social life meeting all those new people... i might add Ive nearly got everything to start up now so look out folks !!! jan x:lol:

ŠAmethyst
08-Jul-07, 12:18
always wanted to be a police officer - pfffft... I got no muscle and weigh 6.5 st lmao - a crim could pick me up and throw me no probs!

marylund2323
08-Jul-07, 12:51
id do what i am trying to do at the moment, a self employed programmer/web designer. should that fail i would like to try out to be a motoGP rider or something very similar. should that fail i would like to be on the dole as i cant cope with working for other people lol!

blondscot
08-Jul-07, 14:18
You already work with animals but just don't get paid for it!!! lol

Like you I would love to work with animals. If I win the lottery I will build a rescue centre and you can work there!!!

That would be fab!!! i dont see what i do just now as work more a pleasure!! although the feral kittens are hard work and time consuming to tame but i could never think about stopping doing it !!!

stevep
09-Jul-07, 16:13
Dream has always been to own a smallholding and make just enough money to get by and be as self sufficient as possible. I guess I'll have to keep buying the lottery tickets.:(

Valerie Campbell
09-Jul-07, 20:03
I would love to write full time rather than part-time, but having kids means I can only do it part-time. Still, I'm following a lifelong dream. And that's what life's all about. Don't sit at home and think 'I would like to do such and such.' Find out more about it and if you like what you learn then go for it!

George Brims
09-Jul-07, 20:53
I would love to be a landscape/nature photographer full time, rather than just tinkering at it now and again. Great excuse to be out in the wilds.

TRUCKER
09-Jul-07, 21:26
I Would Like To Own A B&b Meeting Lots Of People.

Mr_Me19
13-Jul-07, 14:51
My ideal job would be working for Google at their HQ in California. They were voted the best company to work for last year. And it looks absolutely AMAZING!!!!! Here is the link to show you just how good it is: http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/static.py?page=about.html
Its not surprise that google gets over 1000 CV's A DAY!!

I would want to work their as a programmer preferably as computers are my life. I couldn't be without them. But in a company like that.... I'd be prepared to let it slide.

sweetpea
13-Jul-07, 15:00
My dream job would be a Psychiatric nurse in the community. Trained as a MH nurse a few years ago but would like to go back and do some more training either that or to work in a rehab unit.:)

George Brims
13-Jul-07, 17:31
My ideal job would be working for Google at their HQ in California. They were voted the best company to work for last year.

Our secretary's husband works for Google at their Santa Monica office. One of the best things about working for them is you are allowed - no expected - to spend a percentage of your time working on things you thought up yourself. A lot of their innovations of course come from this tinkering.

Before I even knew about Google as a company, I noticed billboards up in Silicon Valley with puzzles on them, and a phone number at the bottom. If you could solve the puzzles and called the number, you qualified for a job interview.

paris
13-Jul-07, 17:47
Dream has always been to own a smallholding and make just enough money to get by and be as self sufficient as possible. I guess I'll have to keep buying the lottery tickets.:(
We did that when we moved to lincs BUT and this is a big BUT , If you haven't been brought up to the slaughtering then i can confirm there are many tears when the time comes and to make new friends you end up giving veg /eggs etc away instead of selling to buy new stock. jan x

Innes
13-Jul-07, 23:57
OH to be a Blacksmith/fabeicator in Caithness & Sutherland

Jeemag_USA
14-Jul-07, 02:12
I always wanted to be that guy on Lonely Planet, Ian Wright or something, having a good crack travelling all around the world and making TV programs about me acting silly!! I always thought he was hilarious and always wanted to do his job, actually I'd be happy being his assistant as he seems like great crack!!

oldmarine
14-Jul-07, 04:42
Just what I'm currently doing, retired electronics engineer, and enjoying my coffee groups. Shortly after retiring from my engineering position, I enjoyed working for my wife in her Lutheran elementary school teaching junior high math for a few years.

soccermom
14-Jul-07, 08:36
My idea of heaven would be to open a cake shop/coffee shop and sell lots of sticky gooey buns and cakes, then put a gym next door so everyone could indulge without the guilt... Too many tea shops in thurso now though - any suggestions for a suitable location?

Sporran
15-Jul-07, 23:18
Don't laugh, but I would have loved to have been an opera singer. I wish I'd had the opportunity to have my voice trained when I was young. Heck, maybe I could have been another Sarah Brightman, LOL! ;) These days my voice would probably be more suited to jazz, though.

I wouldn't have minded being an antiques expert or historian, either. I have worked in jewelry for a number of years, as that is something that has always interested me too. But to have been an academically trained gemologist would have been even better!

karia
15-Jul-07, 23:28
Hi Folks,

Political spin doctor or P.R person,...I'd always have work!;)

Karia

oldmarine
16-Jul-07, 00:17
Well I'm joining the police force (or "service"...talk about political correctness gone mad [lol]), it's the only job I've ever wanted to do and it's absolutely ideal in every way as far as I'm concerned. As for why, there's so many reasons I don't know where to start...hmm well basically I want to fight crime, make a difference, serve my community, protect the public, do something positive with my life, and of course being responsible for putting criminals behind bars where they belong would be satisfying, although I'm aware that doesn't always happen and it can be a very frustrating job at times. So just the usual reasons why anyone would want to join really, although I have personal reasons as well, having witnessed enough crime myself without being in a position to do anything about it. :~(

Sounds like a good and worthy thing to do. Go for it.

crashbandicoot1979
16-Jul-07, 09:29
I'd love to be a full time writer but I've not quite reached the standard where I can ditch the day job!

I'd also like to run a publishing company or a writer's retreat somewhere. Failing that I'd like to be a Business Development Manager, helping small businesses achieve their potential. I've looked at doing courses in publishing and business development, just have to figure out which I'd prefer......

johno
16-Jul-07, 15:00
that job that Alan Wicker had visiting & showing all the holiday resorts, now that,s my idea of an ideal job [think judith chalmer,s did something similar]
ah well dream on??
:cool: :roll:

Sporran
16-Jul-07, 16:41
that job that Alan Wicker had visiting & showing all the holiday resorts, now that,s my idea of an ideal job [think judith chalmer,s did something similar]
ah well dream on??
:cool: :roll:

I wouldn't mind that kind of job either - I love to travel! :-)

mccaugm
17-Jul-07, 09:28
My dream job would be a Psychiatric nurse in the community. Trained as a MH nurse a few years ago but would like to go back and do some more training either that or to work in a rehab unit.:)

I worked with mentally ill patients and would not do it again. I worked in various centres between the ages of 17 and 27 and found it traumatic and dangerous. Don't get me wrong I have every sympathy with people who are mentally ill but it was certainly not my vocation.

The only nursing job I really loved was theatre nursing, that was very interesting and rewarding.

I retrained in administration, computing and recently business and am much happier.

sweetpea
17-Jul-07, 16:24
Yeah it can be like that but I can honestly say I've never as much as had a threat, even with some very scary people. Funny too because I could never work in theatre, all the blood and guts stuff doesn't so it for me, lol:)

One thing I will say is that sometimes in this type of work you need a career break and also I have to watch my own MH and use techniques to debrief and wind down at times.

stratman
17-Jul-07, 19:35
My last nursing job was as a Staff Nurse in a treatment and assessment unit for people with Learning Disabilities having a crisis in their lives and whom may be a danger to themselves or others. I enjoyed every aspect of it from the team work to the unpredictability of the day or night. You never knew who was coming in and with what problems. It was alway best to have a full unit as at least you knew what you were dealing with and how to deploy resources. I enjoyed all the mental Health Act stuff and Public profile.

I would never have left if it had not been for poor health. A great job for anyone thinking about it.