PDA

View Full Version : Shell Fish

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 23:04
In Australia we have a shell fish that burries itself under the sand. As kids we used to stand in the wet sand as the waves went out and do the twist and dig ourselves down into the sand. We would feel about with our feet and collect these "pippies". We used them for fishing bait, but some people ate them. They are like a small mussell.
Is there anything like that in Caithness???

floyed
06-Jul-07, 23:56
never heard of this before:(

Ricco
07-Jul-07, 08:28
In parts of the UK you can find cockles in the sand in a similar fashion when the tide is right.

Lolabelle
07-Jul-07, 19:38
In parts of the UK you can find cockles in the sand in a similar fashion when the tide is right.

They could be the same as I am thinking of, I was discussing it with Dave yesterday, and he suggested they were more clam like than mussel. Does that sound more familiar. And what are those thingys that stick to rocks along the shore? Limpets?????:confused

Ricco
07-Jul-07, 20:11
They could be the same as I am thinking of, I was discussing it with Dave yesterday, and he suggested they were more clam like than mussel. Does that sound more familiar. And what are those thingys that stick to rocks along the shore? Limpets?????:confused

Yep, they are limpets, but I would only eat them if I was desperate... and they would have to be cooked. :eek:

Lolabelle
07-Jul-07, 20:18
Just had a look in wikepedia and have discovered that they are a smooth shelled version of a cockle. Mystery solved. But are they around caithness??? This is the question [smirk]

Ricco
07-Jul-07, 20:23
Just had a look in wikepedia and have discovered that they are a smooth shelled version of a cockle. Mystery solved. But are they around caithness??? This is the question [smirk]

I remember collecting winkles by the bucket load for a friend's father but cannot remember any cockles. There were razorfish, though... very nice. :)

paris
08-Jul-07, 08:54
lincs is known for its cockel beds, and they are very yummy when cooked with vinagar and pepper. jan x:Razz

helenwyler
08-Jul-07, 10:57
The north of England and Dublin are famous for cockles Lolabelle. Don't know if you've heard the Irish folksong 'Molly Malone' but i'll post it in case you haven't. It's got a lovely tune and it'll be running thro' my head all day now[lol]!!

Cockles and Mussels, or Molly Malone
Comic Song, Written and Composed by James Yorkston

In Dublin's Fair City

Where the girls are so pretty

I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone

As she wheel'd her wheel barrow

Through streets broad and narrow

Crying cockles and mussels alive, alive o!

Chorus

Alive, alive o!, alive, alive o!

She was a fishmonger

But sure 'twas no wonder

For so were her father and mother before

And they each wheel'd their barrow

Chorus

She died of a fever

And no one could save her

And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone

But her ghost wheels her barrow

Chorus

NB cockles have been linked with hepatitis if eaten raw:eek:!! Also I wouldn't describe it as "comic"!

Lolabelle
08-Jul-07, 11:07
The north of England and Dublin are famous for cockles Lolabelle. Don't know if you've heard the Irish folksong 'Molly Malone' but i'll post it in case you haven't. It's got a lovely tune and it'll be running thro' my head all day now[lol]!!

Cockles and Mussels, or Molly Malone
Comic Song, Written and Composed by James Yorkston

In Dublin's Fair City
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
As she wheel'd her wheel barrow

Chorus

Alive, alive o!, alive, alive o!

She was a fishmonger
But sure 'twas no wonder
For so were her father and mother before
And they each wheel'd their barrow

Chorus

She died of a fever

And no one could save her
And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone
But her ghost wheels her barrow
Chorus

NB cockles have been linked with hepatitis if eaten raw:eek:!! Also I wouldn't describe it as "comic"!

I have heard of the song and vaguely know the chorus, but I had never heard all the rest of the song that I remember. Thanks for that.
And now I have the tune running through my head too.