PDA

View Full Version : What makes a holiday for you?

cuddlepop
06-Jul-07, 18:48
Now I know its hard to remember but this is summer:eek:

What makes a holiday for you?

Me its big open spaces with miles a miles of "peace"

Caithness is just paradise on earth just wish the sun would shine for a bit more than 5 mins:lol:

NickInTheNorth
06-Jul-07, 18:52
good company and new experiences does it for me.

Caithness scores big style on the good company, I love it here :) It is good to live on holiday.

cuddlepop
06-Jul-07, 18:55
You are making me so jealous[evil]

We'll be lucky if we manage the last week in July up there.

If its raining me and the caravan will have a battle of wits:lol:

joan
06-Jul-07, 18:59
I love fresh air,nice views, a beach,lots of booze and good company!!!

cuddlepop
06-Jul-07, 19:02
You'll love Caithness its everything that you could wish for Joan.:D

Loafer
06-Jul-07, 19:04
Definately experiencing different cultures, food & drink and architecture.

The Loafer

karia
06-Jul-07, 19:27
Hi guys,

Peace, time to indulge in luxuries like,.. thinking & breathing!;)

Good food, drink and company,...and those quirky little holiday stories of mishap and chaos that add character to, rather than detract from, a holiday,..as you actually had the time to deal with them.

That feeling, when you crawl under cool sheets at the end of the day and your skin stings slightly from the elements and your muscles ache in a healthy way, as oppossed to a stressed way,...just like when you were six!

Then sleeping through to morning, which, sadly, I never do these days.:(

Arggh! I so obviously need another holiday!

Have a good 'un cuddlepop!

Karia

Jeemag_USA
06-Jul-07, 20:01
I took like masses of scenery and also like to visit something historic, I prefer to visit areas with small communities so you can go to a pub and get to know people better, like to party a little and have a good time but not really one for visiting cities unless they are historical cities for example like Venice or Prague or something like that. I also like to go camping and like to be somewhere that I can do some fishing, fly fishing preferrably.

My ideal place to go that I am aiming for sometime in the next few years is Montana. The first thing that sparked my interest was reading the book "Glencoe and The Indians" by James Hunter, so I want to visit the McDonald Peak area where they still have McDonalds on the Indian Tribal Council, also through this book and the McDonalds there is a strong Hudson Bay Company connection of which I am very interested in after visiting the Stromness museumk many times. And as a bonus its one of the most scenic areas in the USA, right up against Canada and has some of the best camping and trout fishing in the States.

http://www.amerika-live.de/USA/Montana/montana1.jpg

Also my ambitions are to visit Alaska, Oregon, Washington state, Maine, Northern Claifornia, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota and Massachussetts. I have already done Maryland which was beautiful.

cuddlepop
06-Jul-07, 20:07
I took like masses of scenery and also like to
Also my ambitions are to visit Alaska, Oregon, Washington state, Maine, Northern Claifornia, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota and Massachussetts. I have already done Maryland which was beautiful.
What a beautiful picture I could look at it for ages and still see something new.

Its looks so fresh you can smell it:D

Want to go to Canada one day.

Maybe a present to myself for my fiftyith,got a few years to save up.:lol:

DarkAngel
06-Jul-07, 20:45
WHen i come home with a lovely Tan..Being somewhere hot is my ideal holiday! [lol]

Tubthumper
06-Jul-07, 21:07
Doing something energetic, noisy, dirty and with some sort of purpose or end result.
Doesn't have to be sensible. Lots of mud, finished off with a shower and cool beer in good company.
The beer and company come after the shower, obviously.

Jeemag_USA
06-Jul-07, 21:09
What a beautiful picture I could look at it for ages and still see something new.

Its looks so fresh you can smell it:D

Want to go to Canada one day.

Maybe a present to myself for my fiftyith,got a few years to save up.:lol:

Montana is almost all like that, its one of the most unspoilt areas in the USA. I was pouring over a holiday brochure recently where you can stay in a one horse town in rooms above the general Store, where it still says General Store above the door, and they sell basic groceries and all sorts of Horse Tackle and farming needs. Thats my kind of deal, almost like stepping back in time.

I highly recommend to all org readers to get the book "Glencoe and the Indians" it traces a line of McDonalds starting in the Glencoe Massacre and follows them right through the Hudson Bay Company to fur trapping in Northern America until eventually one of the line marries a Nez Perce indian squaw and his son, a McDonald then ends up becoming tribal chief. Its a fascinating story. Montana was also the place where the Battle of Little Big Horn took place between Custer and Sitting Bull's tribes. Also your a stones throw from Yellowstone park which is in Wyoming and Montana.

Tristan
06-Jul-07, 21:22
There are a lot of different things I enjoy in a holiday but one theme that seems to run through our holidays is food. Ms T and I love exploring local restaurants and sampling local food and wine.

Oddquine
06-Jul-07, 21:40
I have to have a chauffeur who doesn't mind sitting outside cemetery gates while I take pictures of gravestones.

Hence I invite all my friends with cars up to enjoy the Caithness scenery etc............as long as they let me make up the sightseeing itinerary!

floyed
06-Jul-07, 22:05
Good company always makes my holiday:)

Geo
06-Jul-07, 22:08
The holiday park you are due to arrive at not closing the week before would have been a good start!

Yip just discovered a few days ago the place we were going to next week is no longer trading! :(

cuddlepop
06-Jul-07, 22:12
I have to have a chauffeur who doesn't mind sitting outside cemetery gates while I take pictures of gravestones.

Hence I invite all my friends with cars up to enjoy the Caithness scenery etc............as long as they let me make up the sightseeing itinerary!
You'd love the old cemetery at St Columbus island over at Skeabost it dates back to the 14th centuary and the grave stones are amazing.

I like going into old grave yards too and there's an old church at Tain that looks like its inside out.

zenmaster
06-Jul-07, 23:08
I like going to different places in Scotland and learning more about the country and the people who live there. I'm always curious as to why a town is here - how do people earn their living there. I'm fortunate in that my kids are easily pleased.....and I also like water parks in a hot country! Disney Orlando coming up in October!

karia
06-Jul-07, 23:49
geo, that's awful! What do you plan to do?

Karia

Geo
06-Jul-07, 23:59
We are going to squeeze into my brother and sister-in-law's place. They already have guests so going to be like sardines in a tin! Cosy! :) Should be a good laugh.

airdlass
07-Jul-07, 00:00

That's the kind of holidays I like aswell! :D

Geo
10-Jul-07, 15:06
The holiday park you are due to arrive at not closing the week before would have been a good start!

Yip just discovered a few days ago the place we were going to next week is no longer trading! :(

And now the car's packed in. Arrggghhhhhhhhhh! :(

karia
10-Jul-07, 15:16
Hi Geo,

Don't bother buying a lottery ticket this week!

on second thoughts, perhaps you'd better, the luck your having just now if you don't, your numbers are sure to come up! ;)

Hope things improve

Lucky white heather anyone?:lol:

Karia

cuddlepop
10-Jul-07, 16:08
And now the car's packed in. Arrggghhhhhhhhhh! :(
Oh Geo,would it be any consolation that we're having terrible luck too just now.

As I keep telling myself.

It can only get better.( thats not a challange,if anyone's listening ;) )