PDA

View Full Version : Poor dining experience in Halkirk

daviddd
06-Jul-07, 18:47
Since the Captain's Galley was full last weekend we booked the Ulbster Arms instead, and we weren't at all impressed. Funny, because I've heard good reports about them recently.
The service was quite indifferent, no attempt to engage us in conversation whatsoever, dropping and crashing things about. Wouldn't mind but there was only 1 other couple in, the place was like the Titanic post-collision. When I first walked in and saw that it was empty on a normally busy weekend evening alarm bells started ringing.
My partner enjoyed her venison main course, but my Sea Bass and mash was soggy and had several bones; also, the colour was revolting, kind of brown smudge. Whatever was in the veg dressing I've no idea.
I'm not getting at the UA for nothing; in the past we've left many good recommendations in here, but this was not one of them.
Anyone else here had the same experience? I can spend £50 in a better way than this....

rockchick
06-Jul-07, 21:10
Granted its been a year since I ate there, but I've had at least three lovely meals at the Ulbster Arms. Very nice food, and service too.

Their set menu was one of the best value nights out in the county, if you like good food. The service was very, very nice, and I couldn't find anything to fault.

But...I understand there's been a change of ownership since then. That may be the reason for your different experience.

All I can suggest is to contact the manager, and let them know your opinions, and give them a chance to put it right. If they don't know what's wrong, they won't have a chance to fix it. It may be they do nothing, but at least you've given them the chance to win your business back.

mama2
12-Jul-07, 21:10
I have dined in the ulbster too many times to count and several since the change of owners and have never once had a bad meal and the service has always been excellent. I have always found it quick, good value for money and the staff very welcoming and friendly. I always recommend it to friends and it's always my first choice if I'm eating out. I always feel it is unfair to slag off establishments on the org is it not better to speak to the managment at the time and explain what you felt was wrong with your meal/service. If you dont tell them how are they expected to make changes????

WeeBurd
13-Jul-07, 21:59
We often have bar meals in the Ulbster, and have found their food faultless, however we haven't yet ventured through for a sit-down meal in the restaurant (and with the WeeBurdies it'll be a long time before we get the chance!!).

bluelady
13-Jul-07, 22:38
Since the Captain's Galley was full last weekend we booked the Ulbster Arms instead, and we weren't at all impressed. Funny, because I've heard good reports about them recently.
The service was quite indifferent, no attempt to engage us in conversation whatsoever, dropping and crashing things about. Wouldn't mind but there was only 1 other couple in, the place was like the Titanic post-collision. When I first walked in and saw that it was empty on a normally busy weekend evening alarm bells started ringing.
My partner enjoyed her venison main course, but my Sea Bass and mash was soggy and had several bones; also, the colour was revolting, kind of brown smudge. Whatever was in the veg dressing I've no idea.
I'm not getting at the UA for nothing; in the past we've left many good recommendations in here, but this was not one of them.
Anyone else here had the same experience? I can spend £50 in a better way than this....
try the Bayview in Lybster, the chef there is very experianced and has worked in the UA in the past, her meals are great and great value for money