PDA

View Full Version : Westray or Orkney mainland? Can't decide...

helenwyler
06-Jul-07, 14:51
MrW and I are coming up to Caithness next week (can't wait!!:Razz) and I'll be looking at all the places my ancestors lived.

We'll also be spending two nights in Orkney..yippee! However, he has to go to Westray to visit some projects there. Now I'm in a quandry - do I spend a whole day + flights tailing him round these projects (although doubtless interesting) or do I stay on Orkney mainland ALL BY MYSELF for a day:eek:?!!

Orkneylass was kind enough to tell us good places to visit before she went on hols, and if I go to Westray I'll have hardly any time on Orkney.

Oh dear....what to do? Got to make my mind up soon as he's got to book flight to Westray! What would you do??

changilass
06-Jul-07, 15:01
Easy - spend day on my own much more fun.

Angela
06-Jul-07, 15:23
No contest - I would spend the day on the mainland! Only wish I had the chance...

Nothing worse than tagging along after your OH (no criticism of him intended of course) -much better to enjoy a day on your own, awarding yourself some nice treats, and you'll have more to chat about afterwards! :)

helenwyler
06-Jul-07, 15:23
ha ha changilass - like your style!

But I'm thinking I might never get the chance to see Westray again whereas I definitely want to see Orkney & Shetlands again once teenage daughters' demands for Med holidays are a thing of the past.

sassylass
06-Jul-07, 16:00
No doubt, I'd spend the day on mainland all by myself ahhhhhhhh

veritas
06-Jul-07, 16:01
Hi

You should take the opertunity to visit Westray when you have the chance Noup head is worth a visit for the sea birds and there is a very accesible Puffin colony in the South of the Island but take care when walking in these areas.

If your friend is going to other islands as well then Sanday and North Ronaldsay are worth a visit. If you get to North Ronaldsay try the muttom sandwiches at the Bird view Point restaurant.

bluelady
08-Jul-07, 15:47
Orkney mainland by yourself, you ken what men are like tagging around a woman on a serious mission to go shopping and do what she wants to do and see :lol: