PDA

View Full Version : Fuming!

ashaw1
05-Jul-07, 12:52
I am absolutely fuming! We have just bought a house in Wick that was a reposession. The house has been empty for a couple of months and in the meantime our neighbours decided to take our bin. They don't use the bin, or i don't think they do they didn't this morning but probably have in the past. I didn't immediately think this was a problem, i thought i would just phone the council and they would give us a new one. No chance! They are charging us £35. I don't really want to seem cheeky and ask the neighbour for it back as i don't want to get on the wrong side of them after just moving in. The bin is in their back garden and it obviously isn't theirs as the other bin they have has their house number on it. I can't believe i need to pay for it, i pay my council tax and have never asked for one before!

dook
05-Jul-07, 12:59
Refer it back to the council. Get them to mediate and be the bad ones.

changilass
05-Jul-07, 13:46
Just go and ask (them very friendly) if there is any chance you could get their spare bin as you are gonna be charged to buy a new one, you never know this could be the start of good relations with your neighbours.

Angela
05-Jul-07, 14:36
I would mention it (nicely, in casual way) to your neighbours -they probably have no idea that you'd have to pay for another one. They won't get two full bins emptied at the same time anyway.
The bins belong to the council, and since they've already supplied one to your property, I can understand why they would normally charge for a replacement....but you really shouldn't have to pay in this case.
If your neighbours won't return your bin, I'd get back onto the council and ask them to sort it out...it's THEIR bin that your neighbours have nicked.
Hope it doesn't come to that though, good luck! :)
And once you do get a bin, do be sure to paint your house number on it- so it doesn't go walkabout again. ;)

Jeemag_USA
05-Jul-07, 15:29
I would say unless you ask them there is nothing you can do and nobody can prove it even if you complain to the council. It is possible to buy a second bin for your own use if one bin is not enough for your family for the week, and they may have done that, the people who vacated the house your in may have taken the bin with them, impossible to tell unless you ask the neighbours. You could just ask them if they know if the previous person took the bin away with them. I had a house here in Indianapolis that I wasn't living in and recently they changed to having wheely bins, when I went round mine was not there, before I could ask the neighbour came round and let me know he had it in his yard so it wouldn't get stolen.

bothyman
05-Jul-07, 15:52
Did you see your neighbour take it??

Just tell the council you have moved in and there was no bin when you arrived.

How can you be responsible for a bin if you have only just moved in??
Probably some bright spark sat in an office thinking you lost it, you pay for it.

Do you have to pay for a new one if the wheels drop off your wheelie bin or do they just put it down to wear and tear??

Hope you get a new one for free .

octane
05-Jul-07, 15:53
it can be proven, there is a code on the top of the bin in which the council has this number on the system to say which bin is allocated to each house

have a look and make note of the number, look at the lid on the bin and above the Weber there will be a 6 or 7 digit number hard stamped on the bin, this is unique and will be registered to a specific address

bobbyjoeufb
05-Jul-07, 16:17
I have recently moved into my house and I was missing the paper recycling bin, I rang the council and got a replacement the next day free of charge.

So might be worth while ringing them up and pushing for a bin free of charge.

henry20
05-Jul-07, 16:24
We have 2 bins that get emptied when they are both out - we 'acquired' one, unintentionally, when the wind blew it to our house. It sat outside our fence for weeks waiting to be claimed. When it wasn't, I took it inside our fence.

Maybe your neighbour thought he/she could make use of it while house was empty. I'd happily give my spare one back to its owner if asked, so maybe your neighbour would too.

You could always ask them where they got their spare bin as you didn't have one when you arrived and the council are wanting to charge for one. They may have genuinely bought the second bin though.

NickInTheNorth
05-Jul-07, 16:33
Just interested to know what is getting you fuming.

The council charging you?

The neighbour "taking" your bin?

Or having taken it not using it?

Generally I find that situations such as these are very easily resolved by talking. Talk to your neighbours, no joy there talk to the council.

The ability to communicate complex ideas is one of the features that sets humans apart from most other mammals. I find it very irksome when people get all riled about something that can so easily be resolved.

ashaw1
05-Jul-07, 16:38
The property i am in now was missing a recycling bin and they don't charge for that one. The woman next door lives on her own. She wouldn't have kept it for safekeeping as there is a 6ft fence round each individual garden. I have told the council that there wasn't one there when we moved in and they still expect me to pay.

The thing that annoys me is all of the above!

changilass
05-Jul-07, 16:39
Thats all well and good Nick, but not everyone else is as willing to talk as you.

Consideration needs to be taken as to wether it would just be easier not to fall out and pay the money instead, no one wants neighbours who they are on bad terms from the word go.

porshiepoo
05-Jul-07, 16:42
Tell me about it.
The council have seen fit to charge us council tax on a derelict property that is completely uninhabitable and only has a couple of walls standing and will they give us a bin??????? Nope!
We're paying two lots of tax - one for the derelict and one for the temporary accomodation on site and still we only have the one bin.[evil]

No wonder there's so much fly tipping etc that goes on when the council take stands like this.

Personally I'd say if you can't talk to the neighbours and you know without a doubt that it's your bin, then just take it back!!!!!!!!!

Torvaig
05-Jul-07, 17:27
Report your bin stolen to the police; you will get a crime number; quote that to the council and they will replace your bin.

EDDIE
05-Jul-07, 17:59
Well if i was in your position i would just pay £35 for another bin is it really worth all the hasstle

anneoctober
05-Jul-07, 18:42
Eddie, it's a principle that's involved here. Torvaig I like your idea :lol:

NickInTheNorth
05-Jul-07, 19:29
The property i am in now was missing a recycling bin and they don't charge for that one. The woman next door lives on her own. She wouldn't have kept it for safekeeping as there is a 6ft fence round each individual garden. I have told the council that there wasn't one there when we moved in and they still expect me to pay.

The thing that annoys me is all of the above!

Have you ever actually spoken to your neighbour? It's incredible how easy it is.

Dadie
05-Jul-07, 19:46
pinch it back at night slap your house number on it and deny every thing if asked:)

problem solved

only joking!
wish it was that easy though!

squidge
06-Jul-07, 09:45
I'm with Nick on this one - I would just knock on their door and introduce myself and ask them nicely if the extra bin they have is yours as yours has gone missing. If they say no then thats that and you can say "oh ok only its going to cost me £35 for a new one and i cant really afford it just now" but they might say "oh yes - i borrowed it for such and such" No one has to fall out - it might actually be that they have bought an extra bin for storage or got it some other way and its NOT yours. I have two bins - they were there when i moved in and I didnt steal them from anywhere. I keep one at the house and one at the top of the lane and swap them over for emptying. Dont be so quick to judge.

When did it get so difficult to talk to people. If you are worried about the direct approach then invite them for a cup of tea and just mention in passing that the council are going to charge you for a new bin. You dont know that your neighbour has done something to annoy you. Remember as well that attitude breeds attitude - if you were to march over to my house and ask to take the bar code off the bin to check if they had stolen it then I would tell you to go away and shut the door.

These are your new neighbours - they dont deserve judging before you have even spoken to them! :roll:

pentlander
06-Jul-07, 10:07
If it is your bin go and take it back. They have no right to it.

philupmaboug
06-Jul-07, 10:46
Great idea Torviag! Give the police mundane, time consuming tasks to waste more tax payers money.

dook
06-Jul-07, 11:00
Report your bin stolen to the police; you will get a crime number; quote that to the council and they will replace your bin.

Because it was reported stolen (which you can't definately say) the Police would come round, note a statement, then go straight next door and speak to your neighbours, take the bin, and charge them with theft. Oh and before they would go they would tell the neighbours that you complained.

If that doesn't lead to good neighbourly relations I don't know what would.

changilass
06-Jul-07, 11:03
At the end of the day, as the house was a repossession you would have got it cheeper than normal so use some of the money you saved to buy a bin, its better than falling out with the neighbours before you get a chance to know them.

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 11:10
ashaw1, you should definately ask your nieghbours if they might know where your bin might have gone. That is not offensive. They might know that the previous owner took it, or may say, "Oh it's over here, sorry about that, we forgot it/ borrowed it/ took it for safe keeping." Who knows, but you can ask politely and non accusingly.

Please excuse the spelling, couldn't be bothered to fix it.

Angela
06-Jul-07, 11:23
ashaw1, hopefully you and your neighbours aren't going to maintain a stony silence for however long you are neighbours.

Why not just introduce yourselves (if you haven't already)...and take it from there?

It's much harder to establish friendly- or even civil -relations if the first thing you say sounds like a complaint (even if it IS justified) and life is so much more pleasant if you can get on reasonably well.

You don't have to be best mates of course!;)

katarina
06-Jul-07, 12:09
I am absolutely fuming! We have just bought a house in Wick that was a reposession. The house has been empty for a couple of months and in the meantime our neighbours decided to take our bin. They don't use the bin, or i don't think they do they didn't this morning but probably have in the past. I didn't immediately think this was a problem, i thought i would just phone the council and they would give us a new one. No chance! They are charging us £35. I don't really want to seem cheeky and ask the neighbour for it back as i don't want to get on the wrong side of them after just moving in. The bin is in their back garden and it obviously isn't theirs as the other bin they have has their house number on it. I can't believe i need to pay for it, i pay my council tax and have never asked for one before!

When we lost our bin, I asked the council if we could get another, they said if we reported it to the police as being stolen, we would get another for free. We did this and we got one - for free. that's all that happened. there were no police coming round or asking the neighbours - after all, they have more important things to deal with.

jay
06-Jul-07, 12:14
sorry but this all seems a bit ridiculous to me - how long have you been in the house? you seem to have no proof at all that the bin was stolen by the neighbours or that it was even there to begin with. I have two bins, one of which I bought before the council issued wheelie bins - it has no code on it by the way. All you have to do is ask your neighbour what the story is if they say there was no bin then tough you need to buy one instead of making accusations without proof

NickInTheNorth
06-Jul-07, 12:24
When we lost our bin, I asked the council if we could get another, they said if we reported it to the police as being stolen, we would get another for free. We did this and we got one - for free. that's all that happened. there were no police coming round or asking the neighbours - after all, they have more important things to deal with.

I'm not having a go katarina - really, I'm not - but...

Why is it that you feel it is ok to lose a bin (doesn't sound as if it was stolen from that description), then LIE to the police, and have the council buy you a new bin out of our (the council tax payers) money?

How is that justified?

How is that better than, in this case, (which you seem to imply) trying to establish a decent relationship with the neighbours, and hopefully get your bin restored to you at the same time?

Margaret M.
06-Jul-07, 14:05
I'm with Nick on this one - These are your new neighbours - they dont deserve judging before you have even spoken to them! :roll:

I'm with Nick and Squidge -- just talk to them. This business about going and just taking it back, particularly when you don't know for sure it is yours, would be a perfect way to get off on the wrong foot with a neighbour.

burstbucker
06-Jul-07, 14:13
Your neighbour is entitled to have two bins, many properties have more than one bin, why are you convinced that one of them may be yours anyway?

octane
06-Jul-07, 14:40
it can be proven, there is a code on the top of the bin in which the council has this number on the system to say which bin is allocated to each house

have a look and make note of the number, look at the lid on the bin and above the Weber there will be a 6 or 7 digit number hard stamped on the bin, this is unique and will be registered to a specific address

erm read my post ^^^^ make a note of the number and quote it to the council and they will tell you if the bin belongs to your address as they are all recorded and unique to an address. If this turns out to be your bin then just take it, pretty simple!!

highlander
06-Jul-07, 15:16
yes!!! yippie!! I have come up with the perfectttttttttt answer, now what you do is in the middle of the night, go next door and paint your house number on the bottom of both bins, when the scaffy lorry comes be there waiting for him to collect the bins, now heres the GOOD bit, grab one of the bins and take it back to your house, now of course your neighbour is going to complain and say its her bin, THEN you show them the number is written on the bottom, thennnnnnnnnnnn you take her next door to her own house to prove numbers are written on bottom of bin, BUT your number will also be on the second one, act suprised and say "hecks ma boab, i didna ken i had two" and tell her as you as a nice neighbour you will let them keep it, as you dont need two, seeeeeeeee so easy!! lol

BRIE
06-Jul-07, 16:04
At the end of the day, as the house was a repossession you would have got it cheeper than normal so use some of the money you saved to buy a bin, its better than falling out with the neighbours before you get a chance to know them.

thats not the case these days they have to sell a property at the market value whether its repossessed or not. & I dont see what thats got to do with paying for the bin!

Jeemag_USA
06-Jul-07, 16:10
erm read my post ^^^^ make a note of the number and quote it to the council and they will tell you if the bin belongs to your address as they are all recorded and unique to an address. If this turns out to be your bin then just take it, pretty simple!!

I agree this does sound like the most sensible idea. Just curious, if they keep a database on this can it work the opposite way, can you call them up and quote your address and they can search to see what your bin number should be?? If that was the case you could also give them the neighbours address and ask how many bins they have??

Penelope Pitstop
06-Jul-07, 16:12
Your neighbour may have bought the bins?? Are you assuming that it is your bin just because they have two?? You may give them the wrong impression about yourself if you accuse them of taking your bin...there is a chance that they did not.

We moved into a new house and had to buy our own bin - the council didn't provide a free one. We left the previous one we had bought at our old house.

sassylass
06-Jul-07, 16:15
just remember you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar...
especially when bins are involved ;)

WICKLASSIE
06-Jul-07, 19:10
Wouldn't it be more like sense just to go and speak to your NEW neighbours, its not as if Wick is a big city like Edinburgh!! I am sure they would be more than happy to co-operate over your missing or misplaced bin.

I take it you dont have a brown recyling bin either!

floyed
06-Jul-07, 21:59
Let us no how you get on with the bin situation. I think you should just speak to them i'm sure they will be fine with given it to you, it is after all only a bin:D

sassylass
06-Jul-07, 22:26
yes!!! yippie!! I have come up with the perfectttttttttt answer, now what you do is in the middle of the night, go next door and paint your house number on the bottom of both bins, when the scaffy lorry comes be there waiting for him to collect the bins, now heres the GOOD bit, grab one of the bins and take it back to your house, now of course your neighbour is going to complain and say its her bin, THEN you show them the number is written on the bottom, thennnnnnnnnnnn you take her next door to her own house to prove numbers are written on bottom of bin, BUT your number will also be on the second one, act suprised and say "hecks ma boab, i didna ken i had two" and tell her as you as a nice neighbour you will let them keep it, as you dont need two, seeeeeeeee so easy!! lol

[lol] that's a good one!

Julia
06-Jul-07, 22:56
I've just moved and I have 3 bins (2 grey and 1 brown), the recycling bin was here but someone took it just before our move so the council replaced it free of charge.

If you build a new house you have to purchase your own bin, I'm pretty sure you would only get one for free if you are a council tenant.

corgiman
06-Jul-07, 23:13
I think it would now be easier to buy a new bin cos Caithness is a small place and if your neighbours are on the org and reading this thread they sure won't be too pleased when you go asking about the bin and they realise you were talking about them :eek: that really would be disastrous for neighbourly relations :eek:

mccaugm
07-Jul-07, 00:34
This is getting ridiculous.

1 Having good neighbours is a neccesity
2 Go round, say that you have moved in next door and that the council seem to have left your bin with them whilst the house was empty and ask to be able to take it back. If you are really concerned take a bottle of wine or choccies as an ice breaker.
3 Bins are provided by the council, I have always been given a bin and I have almost always lived in a privately owned house. If you have no joy with your neighbours advise the council that your rubbish will be on the street for collection should they withhold your right to a free bin.

karia
07-Jul-07, 17:58
This is getting ridiculous.

1 Having good neighbours is a neccesity
2 Go round, say that you have moved in next door and that the council seem to have left your bin with them whilst the house was empty and ask to be able to take it back. If you are really concerned take a bottle of wine or choccies as an ice breaker.
3 Bins are provided by the council, I have always been given a bin and I have almost always lived in a privately owned house. If you have no joy with your neighbours advise the council that your rubbish will be on the street for collection should they withhold your right to a free bin.

Absoloutely. Well said!

Karia

Mall67
07-Jul-07, 20:42
Just go and buy a bin. It is Wick you are in remember, accusing the neighbours of theft might result in your car being vandalised or worse still you could be attacked by their knife weilding 6 year old.

horseman
08-Jul-07, 08:19
Just go and buy a bin. It is Wick you are in remember, accusing the neighbours of theft might result in your car being vandalised or worse still you could be attacked by their knife weilding 6 year old.

That is one heck of a thought, but it is full of sence.(think the spelling is wrong but I can't seem to make scence of it.) :confused

Lolabelle
08-Jul-07, 11:28
That is one heck of a thought, but it is full of sence.(think the spelling is wrong but I can't seem to make scence of it.) :confused

Spelling : sense :Razz

Torvaig
08-Jul-07, 17:22
Great idea Torviag! Give the police mundane, time consuming tasks to waste more tax payers money.

What's the problem? The bin has been removed; why assume that the neighbour has it? Just the same as vandals use supermarket trolleys to have "fun" with, some use wheelie bins!
The bin has been stolen and it is up to the police to pursue it or not as they see fit. If someone stole something from you valued at £35 (e.g. power tools) wouldn't you report it?
In the end, the poster needs a bin. Either pay for a new one or report it to the police. It is theft, plain and simple; end of..... :eek:

P.S. I bet the original poster didn't think they would get such a response as this just because they wanted to get something off their chest! Isn't it nice and neighbourly that so many people (yes, including me) are so concerned? ;)

katarina
08-Jul-07, 18:38
I'm not having a go katarina - really, I'm not - but...

Why is it that you feel it is ok to lose a bin (doesn't sound as if it was stolen from that description), then LIE to the police, and have the council buy you a new bin out of our (the council tax payers) money?

How is that justified?

How is that better than, in this case, (which you seem to imply) trying to establish a decent relationship with the neighbours, and hopefully get your bin restored to you at the same time?

It must've been stolen - I mean how else would it have vanished? So I don't think I was lying to the police by simply stating that it had disappeared.
Also what proof is there that the poster's neighbours have got THEIR bin? My son has two bins (issued by the council) simply because he has a large family. nothing wrong with mentioning it to the neighbours, but without jumping to conclusions.

katarina
08-Jul-07, 18:43
I own my own home and I have three bins for free - one for rubbish one for garden waste and one for paper. Does the poster realise that a brown recycling bin is provided also? this may well be the one that's lying unused in the garden - Just a thought if she/he is new to the area.