PDA

View Full Version : Mackeral

Saveman
05-Jul-07, 11:28
Any fishing peeps know if there is any mackeral or such like to be had at high tide these days?

If so where would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

The Soft Parade
05-Jul-07, 13:06
Absolutely Saveman. Went out to Longberry (out near the trinkie) a few weeks back and ended up catching 28 within 2 hours.

My cousin caught about the same and we ended up eating mackerel for days afterward. My neighbour then made smoked mackerel pate with it.....very tasty!

:cool:

Jeemag_USA
05-Jul-07, 14:06
Absolutely Saveman. Went out to Longberry (out near the trinkie) a few weeks back and ended up catching 28 within 2 hours.

My cousin caught about the same and we ended up eating mackerel for days afterward. My neighbour then made smoked mackerel pate with it.....very tasty!

:cool:

Strathy point, if you ask kindly for permission to drive up is the best place, we used to fish them to save for bait for Cod Fishing in the winter and for eating, once caught around 2 to 3 hundred in a day.

jambo
05-Jul-07, 17:57
as soft parade says plenty getting caught at longberry.

Ricco
05-Jul-07, 19:52
By the way, as an aside here, what's the conger fishing like around Thurso? As a kid I remember big ones in Scrabster harbour on a spring tide but never fished for them.

horseman
05-Jul-07, 21:58
Definately out past the trinkie,was it the 'grey bulls ' we used to call it? Long time back, but near there sure was the place for the mackeral!:)

Jeemag_USA
05-Jul-07, 22:00
By the way, as an aside here, what's the conger fishing like around Thurso? As a kid I remember big ones in Scrabster harbour on a spring tide but never fished for them.

My record at Scrabster from the pier is just under 23lb but my brother has landed bigger. I have not conger fished Scrabster probably for almost 20 years, a lot of work has gone on their since. We once caught one about 18lb off the ice house pier on the inside and I caught one off the back of the pier opposite it towards the beach. A lot of boats used to dump their dead fish and guts off the back of the old pier which runs at right angles to the ice house pier and it used to be a great place for conger, but they have done a lot of dredging around that over the years. I once remember taking about 45 minutes to get a conger up out of only twenty feet of water, it got back into its hole a little bit and I took turns with someone else at holding on to it and slowly clicking the line in every time it budged a little. Conger are seriously hard work. I have heard of people catching them off the lighthouse rocks too, but I imagine that would be even harder work. I always remember the icehouse pier being best sport.