PDA

View Full Version : Vines

Lolabelle
05-Jul-07, 09:13
Could someone please tell me some names of scratchy prickly vines found in the Caithness area. Needed for research. Desperate:eek:

stratman
05-Jul-07, 14:19
Hi

the only scratchy prickly thing that I can think of which is prolific in Caithness

is Rosa Rugosa. Don't know if the helps

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 05:30
Thank you, it does help. I just need a picture in my mind of a vine for my story. I doesn't even get mentioned in the story, but I need to be able to visualise things. So now I can get on the net and look at a picture of rosa rugosa.
Thanks again.

WeeBurd
08-Jul-07, 22:07
What about whins? They're very widespread in the county, and particularly prickly!:lol:

stratman
09-Jul-07, 10:18
Good point weeburd. Assuming that is the same thing as gorse doesn't it have the most fantastic smell ever?

Scunner
09-Jul-07, 11:49
What about Brambles, twisting through other vegetation.

Lolabelle
09-Jul-07, 12:11
What about whins? They're very widespread in the county, and particularly prickly!:lol:

Good point weeburd. Assuming that is the same thing as gorse doesn't it have the most fantastic smell ever?

What about Brambles, twisting through other vegetation.

Wow, now I have heaps to chose from. Any one have any pictures of any of them? I will have to go a googling.
Thanks for the help folk. Much appreciated. :)

Lolabelle
09-Jul-07, 12:28
I was just having a look for pictures of brambles and gorse (whins) and realised that brambles look exactly like blackberries, and then I found an article about them and they are exactly the same. The same thing. So that is good, I will use that as my vine that the kids get caught in, in my story.
As for the Gorse, it looks pretty with the yellow and scary with the thorns. They look like they could do some damage. Apparently they smell like coconut, it that the case for the local ones??

stratman
09-Jul-07, 14:19
I would describe the smell as a heady mixture of coconut and honeysuckle. Wonderful. Good luck with the book.

WeeBurd
09-Jul-07, 19:14
Of course, gorse, doh! I must have been having a blank:D! They do smell gorgeous, exactly like coconut, and they are incredibly prickly - we often used to build little dens underneath the bushes when we were younger and more foolish[lol]! I always think the countyside looks so pretty when they come into flower and there's smatterings of vibrant yellow everywhere. I also have it on good authority that the flowers can be transformed into a wonderful wine...

Lolabelle
10-Jul-07, 00:20
Of course, gorse, doh! I must have been having a blank:D! They do smell gorgeous, exactly like coconut, and they are incredibly prickly - we often used to build little dens underneath the bushes when we were younger and more foolish[lol]! I always think the countyside looks so pretty when they come into flower and there's smatterings of vibrant yellow everywhere. I also have it on good authority that the flowers can be transformed into a wonderful wine...

Mmm, that gives me a thought for mischevious teenagers to get into some strife with gorse wine.....