PDA

View Full Version : Big Gig

K dragon
04-Jul-07, 18:01
need someone to supply a drumkit if they would be so kind, oh pretty pretty please.

also due to an ongoing misunderstanding, no backline is supplied, must bring own amps etc etc. your own leads, etc etc. but mics are supplied.

also this situation has caused me to break my oath....darn.

so please pass on the info.

but i will email bands seperatley soon.

Jeid
04-Jul-07, 19:21
I think it might be an idea to have some sort of backline available to all bands. I've spoken to Moncur, and although I can't speak for him, I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to put up his bass amp and a cabinet or two if needed.

Having each and every band changing amps is only gonna slow the event down. I'm pretty sure Isaac would agree that the less pissing around between bands the better. Having to re-mic amps every band is gonna be a nightmare.

I think someone might also offer the use of their kit. The same one as last year I hope.

moncur
04-Jul-07, 20:24
As I said in a previous thread, I'll lend my 2x12 cab, 4x12 cab AND my laney Bass Amp. All guitarists will have to provide their own ampheads to go through the cabs (unless you're a MATE of mine and ask me nicely i'll lend you my amphead if neccessary). If your guitar amp is a combo then most of them should be able to run through either cab as long as it has a speaker output on it.

Any person found to be abusing the equipment I lend will get a swift finger wagging from me then a swift guitar neck where the sun dont shine!

the_big_mac
04-Jul-07, 20:44
Yup, my kit can be used again this year.

Same rules tho. Please provide your own pedals, snare and cymbals.

Also, hope its not too much to ask, but given the damage to skins last year would money be available to replace skins AFTER this gig?

Jeid
04-Jul-07, 23:26
I think that would be a big yes to both of you guys. All of that gear would go a long way to saving the sound man a lot of bother. A decent drum kit, a bass amp and a couple of cabs. I think a lot of guitarists will have combos, but it should be easy enough to accomodate them.

theweemidget
05-Jul-07, 01:37
when is this gig i wouldn't mind comin through to see it, k dragon if you have a minute do you wanna meet up if i can make it

K dragon
05-Jul-07, 05:38
first off thanks to all who have offered equipment. i need some one, i asked jeid but not sure he wants to, to take this final part outta my hands, as im stretched beyond my limits i have no time for this final important part. i need someone to organise the backline amongst themselves. its just that bit too much for me at the moment.

Jeid
05-Jul-07, 10:33
I said I'd do it, I just thought that since these people had offered their gear before that it wouldn't be much of a problem.

theboss
05-Jul-07, 13:24
On a slightly different Big Gig note... I see everyones favourite ex-Orger Uppieballad has plastered the town in posters with the headline "The Big Gig" to publicise his film week at the end of July. It's really good to see he's let the whole copyright thing go eh...?

Jeid
05-Jul-07, 13:57
One word, three letters, begining with F. You can figure the rest out yourself.

Jeemag_USA
05-Jul-07, 14:12
On a slightly different Big Gig note... I see everyones favourite ex-Orger Uppieballad has plastered the town in posters with the headline "The Big Gig" to publicise his film week at the end of July. It's really good to see he's let the whole copyright thing go eh...?

Yeah I saw this on his Bebo account, he has made a movie trailer for the Big Gig 2007 which will be an Amateur Film Festival in the British Legion. It has no sound incase you think your speakers are broken.

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashViewType=Personal&FlashBoxId=4286374122&MemberId=2498665766

Jeid
05-Jul-07, 14:17
Lol.... that's all I can say. The man is pathetic.

Jeemag_USA
05-Jul-07, 14:21
Sorry that was the wrong link, this is the proper movie, still no sound

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=4357485800

You would think common sense wouldl rule here and say that Big Gig is not really a fitting name for a film festival, gigging and cinema don't realy fit, but I guess if you want to be very very stubborn and immature at the same time then it may just work, if someone remakes spinal tap or quadrophenia or something.

Oh and by the way his Trailer is packed full of copyright breaches.

Tubthumper
05-Jul-07, 19:50
I notice that someone's made a comment on his film site.

K dragon
05-Jul-07, 21:05
so can i rely on jeid to organise a backline of amps and drums for me? again really appreciate it. also if all who are involved in big gig could pass word on about snares etc. im just so stretched and well.....burnt out really lol. will be glad just to see all on stage having fun.

K dragon
05-Jul-07, 21:10
the series cft are showing is from america by an amatuer film group, the "chad vader" series, how he got permission to show a semi professional groups series i dont know, not sure he did get permisssion, also "the big gig movie festival".......wtf mate?

Tubthumper
05-Jul-07, 21:15
I've seen the Chad vader series, and the extra footage. I haven't seen the posters yet but is that what I will be paying £3 to get into at the film festival, stuff I've seen for free on youtube??
Eh?
I wonder if the charities concerned are aware of these potential copyright breaches. Also, is this going to impinge on the reputation of your real Big Gig at the Dammies??

Tubthumper
05-Jul-07, 21:19
Don't burn out too quick K Dragon. It'll be worth it, the feeling of euphoria you get after the event is done (even with all the hassles on the day!) would be worth a fortune if bottled!

K dragon
05-Jul-07, 21:31
lol cheers.

yeah never thought about that 3 quid for free footage. unfortunately im in one of the bloody films as is my girlfriend, my cousin and all my social group. apparently because i didnt sign anything i cant retract the footage.

Tubthumper
05-Jul-07, 22:34
Sorry - Because you DIDN'T sign anything, you can't retract the footage??? Who told you that?
I'm not certain but I've a feeling that you have some say in how your image is used, even if you did willingly take part in the filming. Especially if any of the group are under 18 years old - parental consent would have to be given as well.

K dragon
06-Jul-07, 00:41
oh im well aware of that, and all it entails.

you have to see the brutal reverse side of copyright.

because we didnt sign anything we have no proof. we were willing at the time, but due to...events we wanted it gone. but because we have no written or verbal agreement its basically open season.

and im sure he will be reading this as i am aware that he does surf the site even though he is banned.

Tubthumper
06-Jul-07, 15:35
Performers' Rights and Moral Rights

Since 1996, UK law has determined that anyone who performs in a film has rights in their own performance, and consent must, therefore, be obtained from all performers that their performance may be used. These rights extend to 50 years after the year in which the performance occurred.

The producer must ensure that they acquire all appropriate rights in the film and any originating material to enable them to distribute the film and benefit from any ancillary commercial opportunities.
http://www.skillset.org/film/knowledge/article_5097_1.asp

Jeemag_USA
06-Jul-07, 15:59
Performers' Rights and Moral Rights

Since 1996, UK law has determined that anyone who performs in a film has rights in their own performance, and consent must, therefore, be obtained from all performers that their performance may be used. These rights extend to 50 years after the year in which the performance occurred.

The producer must ensure that they acquire all appropriate rights in the film and any originating material to enable them to distribute the film and benefit from any ancillary commercial opportunities.
http://www.skillset.org/film/knowledge/article_5097_1.asp

Good research TT

Personally I would just let it go, probably only a handful of people will turn up, let him carry on with his stubborness, I don't think it will detract from the Big Gig. Its pretty funny really. If this is the level of maturity the game is being played at, attacking back will just lead to some other ridiculous scheme in the future. beter to rise above it.

Tubthumper
06-Jul-07, 20:47
You're right. best to let it go, he may learn one day.

Deemac
07-Jul-07, 02:51
From what I've seen of the quality that he's happy to produce and promote openly in public, I'd just let him carry on as it's obviously no threat to anyone or anything!!

To use a title like "The Big Gig" to promote a film festival says it all really!!

Since when was viewing a film a "gig?"

The term "Gig" has only musical or theatrical connotations and has nothing what so ever to do with a film festival (and will even give a negative image).

He has a fixation with copyright and is prepared to compromise his own project to make a stubborn, futile point!!:roll:

Cazaa
07-Jul-07, 21:39
As it is a Festival of Film - shouldn't it be called: The big FoF?

zebedy
08-Jul-07, 21:27
Has the big gig got any photographers cumin?
or higher'd? dunno how u do it!

if u do
might i make a recomendation if u are highering a photographer

Megan Coghill! shes very talented

Chobbersjnr
08-Jul-07, 21:35
& John Baikie

who I might add was treated rather badly at the last big gig

Metalattakk
08-Jul-07, 23:49
I'd second that Chobbersjnr. John Baikie always takes good action 'photos. He knows his stuff.

And aye, he got a rum deal at the last Big Gig.

zebedy
09-Jul-07, 00:41
just rememberd if john baikie is ther megan will be too probs
she's workin with him i think

Metalattakk
09-Jul-07, 02:56
:cool: Get the two of them on the case then.

Camra
09-Jul-07, 12:35
When is this event happening ?

Jeid
10-Jul-07, 22:57
As the gig is on Friday and Saturday, John MIGHT not be able to make it all day Saturday. Someone should drop him an e-mail though. Him and Megan together would get a great collection of photographs.

colin stoner
13-Jul-07, 19:36
so do us guys bring our own pedals and leads, snare and cymbals?

that'd be no problem apart from that we have no decent amps whatsoever...:confused

the_big_mac
13-Jul-07, 19:55

that'd be no problem apart from that we have no decent amps whatsoever...:confused

For drummers , please take snare, cymbals and pedals.

Thanks.

moncur
13-Jul-07, 21:31

If your a bassist: Take your bass guitar and a lead to plug into the bass amp.

If your a guitarist: Take guitars, leads, pedals and amphead (or a combo amp with a speaker jack).

what guitar amps do you have?

Jeid
13-Jul-07, 23:33
The bass amp will be on stage(unless of course, you insist on running your own, better one). The problem will be guitar amps. Not everyone has an amp head or a decent amp, which is always gonna be a problem when it comes to a gig like this. I'm really stuck at what to do for the younger ones without a decent amp. Bring your own leads and pedals though yeah.

colin stoner
16-Jul-07, 16:29
yeh we'll bring all our own leads, pedals etc but i have no idea what an amphead or a speaker jack are

the amps we've got are maybe twice the size of your computer screen :confused

moncur
16-Jul-07, 16:50
i have no idea what an amphead or a speaker jack are

the amps we've got are maybe twice the size of your computer screen :confused

OK, remember the marshall amps u guys played through at the Battle of the bands this year? Remember the were in two parts? The big Square bit on the bottom was the speaker cab. And the Rectangular bit on top where the guitar lead plugged into? The rectangular bit on top is the amphead.

Now, what make and model is your amp? (Marshall MG100DFX, Fender, Crate, Laney etc). Is it a combo amp? (all in one thing with speaker and guitar amp knobs all in one box). Look on the back and tell me the names on the sockets that may be there.

Jeid
16-Jul-07, 17:30
A speaker out is not essential. An amp could essentially be miced up.

Chobbersjnr
16-Jul-07, 17:39
A speaker out is not essential. An amp could essentially be miced up.

indeed it could, & fed back through a monitor to give the blast one would be looking for on stage

I ended up using a 15watt amp one night mic'd up & it rocked

Kev_Plastic_Food
16-Jul-07, 20:18
I ended up using a 15watt amp one night mic'd up & it rocked

And as you know, I used my 22watt boogie last year, sounded great :) Although sadly its still unwell atm.

Gleber2
16-Jul-07, 20:31
And as you know, I used my 22watt boogie last year, sounded great :) Although sadly its still unwell atm.

indeed the man seems loathe to work on boogies, he hates them to quote

Chobbersjnr
16-Jul-07, 20:32
indeed the man seems loathe to work on boogies, he hates them to quote

that should of been me....................

colin stoner
17-Jul-07, 19:36
surely the band with the biggest amps on the friday and the band with the biggest amps on the saturday let every band use them and whoever breaks it has to pay them double?

:lol:

my amp is a squire SP-10, its a combo and it is the size of a computer :~(

Jeemag_USA
17-Jul-07, 20:03
if you have a good PA system you should be able to get away with smaller amps if they have a line out. My little Line 6 Spider II is only 15W, but its a little beast, if I crank it up over 3 I'll have the neighbors complaining, and I have played it through a PA and it is a loud little mother that can fill a pretty big hall full of sound.

http://www.thomann.de/prodbilder/line6_spider_ii_15_pimx_172809.jpg

Jeid
17-Jul-07, 20:10
I'm looking into other options regarding backline. I MIGHT be able to get a hold of something decent for the Big Gig which could be on offer to all the bands.

zebedy
18-Jul-07, 00:46
Soppose if ure willing not to touch any of the settings on the amp!
but everyone has there own settings and stuff, and people are picky about what they let others use!

For instance, dont like others using my snare, unless i know them ofcource.

one year i left my snare of for teh battle of the bands!
only to be on last and find it had been put through!

Jeid
18-Jul-07, 01:25
I'm sure adjusting the settings would be fine. The problem would be adjusting the volume to a stupid stupid loud setting.

Having something in place in case guitarists don't have their own reasonable size amp is what I'd like to do.

moncur
18-Jul-07, 09:16
Yeah im not fussed about my settings too much. Just had a bad experience last year when the boy from a young band asked if he could change my settings. I said 'OK, what sound you looking for?' and he replied 'Doesn't matter, I just need to be the loudest in the band!'

moncur
19-Jul-07, 12:38
Just thought of something.

Where is the equipment going to be stored overnight (inside the lorry?) I'll probably just take my stuff home overnight anyway as I live just up the road from the dammies. Just thought I'd ask.

colin stoner
19-Jul-07, 12:47
so is each band taking their own amps then?

Studio66
19-Jul-07, 13:39
Jeids magical powers of persuasion managed to convince me to give him my amp head so all the bands can use that. i dont care about settings, jeid can set her up. but if u brake her u pay for her.

Jeid
19-Jul-07, 14:57
Cheers to Studio66 for the amp.

Moncur, I'll be PM'ing you about gear in just a second.