PDA

View Full Version : fertiliser for apple trees

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
03-Jul-07, 20:23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anyone know about the affect lime will have on trees? apple trees in particular, my pal is thinking about trying to spread some round his apple trees to see if it will help growth a little but was scared in case it killed them or anything?

anyone any ideas?? or of other suggestions for tree fertiliser apart from the obvious manure!!
Cheers

stratman
03-Jul-07, 21:05
The manure you mention and compost round the base and a light feed with general purpose fertilizer. Maxicrop do some good organic ones. Adding lime is about adjusting the Ph value of the soil. Is there a prblem with yours? Now prior to fruiting would seem a good time.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
03-Jul-07, 21:26
probably wont manage to do all that - no its just he had some spare lime from doing grass parks earlier in year which have yielded far more grass for silage than normal and wondered if it would help his apple trees thats all. thanks - since discovered that lime is to increase ph but found from internet that manure and other fertiliser reduces ph and increases acidity so does that not counterbalance?

stratman
03-Jul-07, 22:15
probably wont manage to do all that - no its just he had some spare lime from doing grass parks earlier in year which have yielded far more grass for silage than normal and wondered if it would help his apple trees thats all. thanks - since discovered that lime is to increase ph but found from internet that manure and other fertiliser reduces ph and increases acidity so does that not counterbalance?

Might counterbalance but you need to know where are you to begin with. If it ain't ...... If you are already balanced how do you balance that? Buy a Ph kit. Manure for your son, lime for your grandson is the expression but don't know if it applies. More importantly are you successfully growing apples in Caithness?? I want in.

Humerous Vegetable
05-Jul-07, 13:53
Might counterbalance but you need to know where are you to begin with. If it ain't ...... If you are already balanced how do you balance that? Buy a Ph kit. Manure for your son, lime for your grandson is the expression but don't know if it applies. More importantly are you successfully growing apples in Caithness?? I want in.

When we first visited Thurso, we saw 2 apple trees in the garden of the house next door to the Bridgend filling station, so when we moved in we planted 4 step-over apples to keep the height down and cut down on wind damage. They have taken some knock-backs over the years but this year have had loads of blossom and have set quite a lot of fruit. One of the problems has been the apparent lack of honey bees round my way, but we do have quite a few bumble bees. Because they are single-tier cordons, you can also fertilise them with a paint brush if the bees don't appear.