PDA

View Full Version : Help with baby house martins

neepnipper
03-Jul-07, 09:06
Oh my! Just gone outside and found one of the house martins nests above my kitchen window has collapsed, amongst the debris I've found 5 live chicks (along with 5 dead ones). I've put them in an incubator and they are moving quite well considering when I put them in there they were hardly moving at all.

Now I know the chances are they'll die but I couldn't just leave them there, but what shall I feed them, I know house martins eat insects and I can get some dried insects from work later on this afternoon but what can I give them for now? Worms? They're asking for food so I need to give them something, help please!

ŠAmethyst
03-Jul-07, 09:11
This PDF might be helpful... not sure though.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/bwi/pages092003/learnaboutbirds/downloads/15_House%20Martins.pdf

ŠAmethyst
03-Jul-07, 09:14
had another read through that - actually seems to give some good suggestions on what to feed them :)

neepnipper
03-Jul-07, 09:25
That's brilliant, thank you. Mum is stll flying around and keeps swooping in so hubbie is going to make a box later to put up and I'll put the babies in there, I've just put some eggs on to boil so I can feed them for now.

ŠAmethyst
03-Jul-07, 09:26
Please keep us updated!

MadPict
03-Jul-07, 10:26
If you do provide a new box it might be an idea to place the original nest material in it (if you haven't already thought of this) and keep the handling of the chicks to a minimum as the parents may reject the chicks when you stick them back in.

If this is covered in PDF sorry but no time to read it...

neepnipper
03-Jul-07, 11:15
I've put the nesting material in the incubator and they've just had a feed of egg yolk mixed to a paste with water, they were very hungry and now they've all gone to sleep!

helenwyler
03-Jul-07, 13:27
Well done neepnipper! Are the parents still around?

Or are you a prospective new mum and dad?

neepnipper
03-Jul-07, 19:01
Hubbie has made a box and put it where the nest was, the babies are in it, there are loads of house martins swooping around and coming in for a look so hopefully one will go in soon.

paris
03-Jul-07, 19:27
well done you !! jan x

neepnipper
04-Jul-07, 08:38
By 10 o'clock last night there was no sign of mum going in to babies so took them out and they are now in a hospital cage snug and warm and feeding quite happily, just have to see how it goes!

lynne duncan
04-Jul-07, 08:39
please keep us updated, hope everything goes well

Liz
04-Jul-07, 13:24
Well done for looking after them. Handy you have an incubator!

Sounds like you are Mum now!:D

Ricco
04-Jul-07, 20:09
Well done, Neeps. You may have found a new job as wild animal carer. ;) Do keep us updated.

stratman
04-Jul-07, 20:54
How are they doing Neenipper?

neepnipper
04-Jul-07, 22:18
They seem fine, eager to eat and I'm now feeding them cooked egg yolk, meal worms and dried insects, fingers crossed!

MadPict
05-Jul-07, 00:20
Teaching them to fly might be a bit difficult ;)

Margaret M.
05-Jul-07, 00:40
The birdies may not have built a very secure nest but they did a good job choosing where to build it. Well done, neepnipper, and I hope the remaining babies survive.

Ricco
05-Jul-07, 20:04
The birdies may not have built a very secure nest but they did a good job choosing where to build it. Well done, neepnipper, and I hope the remaining babies survive.

I think Neeps has her own virtual wings... a little angel in disguise. Well done Neeps! ;)

joan
05-Jul-07, 21:03
I am facinated by this!It's like our own virtual nature trail!Whens the next insallment?

corgiman
05-Jul-07, 21:47
I am facinated by this!It's like our own virtual nature trail!Whens the next insallment?
you ate half their dinner tonight :lol:

neepnipper
05-Jul-07, 21:55
I'm just a big softie where animals are concerned, a few more wee critters to add to my menagerie!

I read that when they're a bit older I can try tying maggots or meal worms to bits of suspended cotton to encourage them to eat for themselves, that should be fun!

At the moment they are still eating well, there is one smaller than the rest but we're making sure it gets a full feed every time.

They are quite bald at the moment with just a stubbley growth of feathers and still have their eyes shut.

Will keep you posted.

JAWS
06-Jul-07, 02:34
How do you feed them? Simple, first find an Owl .....!

I think you have you work cut out there, neepnipper, I hope you succeed. I would think that it would be very rewarding indeed, good luck and keep it coming.

paris
06-Jul-07, 08:12
i take it your new babies are turning around to deposit their poo after being fed, ? jan x
P.S you don't have to wipe !!!!!!! lol :lol:

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 08:40
You will have to take some pictures as they grow so we can all monitor thier progress. And good on you for you dedication and patience.:D

JAWS
07-Jul-07, 03:42
Come on neepnipper, update please, are they still doing well? :D

neepnipper
07-Jul-07, 09:09
Sadly the small one that was not feeding too well has died but the others are still doing fine and feeding well so I'm quite hopeful they'll survive.

Yes, their poo seems to be fine! (Feel like Ann whatsername off 'You are what you eat')!

Thank you for all your interest and support, I will keep you updated.

Liz
07-Jul-07, 12:57
Shame that one has died but suppose that is nature.:(
You have done really well keeping the others alive and it sounds like they are thriving.

stratman
11-Jul-07, 13:57
How are the chick neepnipper?

neepnipper
11-Jul-07, 14:09
All the chicks are doing fine, they're getting fluffy feathers.They're eating really well so I'm quite hopeful they'll make it through.

As long as I don't have to take to a microlight to teach them to fly we'll be ok!

stratman
11-Jul-07, 15:16
You're a good person well done.