PDA

View Full Version : July 15th they say.

nanoo
02-Jul-07, 11:37
Get the buckets and spades ready guys, root out the swimming trunks and bikinis, don't forget the picnic basket or the travel rug either and most importantly, the sun cream (or lotion, whatever you prefer.) I'ts official, the summer arrives on July 15th and is gone by July 16th. According to todays paper the summer was in April and only that one day in July can we expect a return to summer. The trinkie will be mobbed that day eh? You've got to have a laugh folks.

corgiman
02-Jul-07, 11:44
I have stopped listening now:lol: In February they say we will have hottest summer on record and then they change it daily when summer gets here:confused you have to laugh really

Lolabelle
02-Jul-07, 11:48
Well of course you will have a day of summer on the 15th of July. It will be my 1st birthday on the org on the 15th. And one year as an orger for any Aussie definately deserves a summers day. Whadayareckin???????????? [lol]

changilass
02-Jul-07, 11:54
15th july is St Swithens Day, if it rains on that day it is supposed to rain for 40 days and 40 nights, so lets hope it doesn't rain :D

karia
02-Jul-07, 12:39
I can see it now, and it aint pretty!

If everyone thinks that this is their last remaining shot at summer, Scotland will turn into one massive BBQ on the 15th. Sausages and burgers will become the new gold standard,..and on the 16th, casualty depts. countrywide will be literally 'heaving' with food poisoning and sunstroke victims.:roll:

Oh I do love a good ol' Scottish summer, really I do.;)

Karia

Margaret M.
02-Jul-07, 13:45
Oh I do love a good ol' Scottish summer, really I do.;)

Karia

Me too, I love escaping from this heat and humidity to the comfortable Caithness temps for a few weeks.

helenwyler
02-Jul-07, 16:22
What bad timing[disgust]. Mr W and I have just booked a short break in Orkney and Caithness to look at ancestral haunts - trouble is we return on the 14th July!!

Never mind, I'm sure it will be fantastic up there, can't wait:Razz!

lassieinfife
02-Jul-07, 18:03
thats the day i fly of to tunisia for 2 weeks ........ah well u never miss what u never had lol:lol:

karia
02-Jul-07, 20:18
Hi helen,

Trust me, the weather won't matter a jot, especially for the authentic experience you seek.

I have one piece of advice however, forget about having any control whatsoever over your hair,..it aint gonna happen!:)

Have a fantastic time,...and keep your holiday promises ;)

Will look forward to hearing of your adventures on your return

Karia

sam
02-Jul-07, 20:23
first they said at the start of the year we would get a heat wave in the summer, now its only one day of good hot weather.........
They cant even get the forecast right for the day ahead never mind weeks or months ahead.
Whatever we get rain or shine, it will be to hot for some or to cold for others.
so just make the most of whatever we get :D

George Brims
02-Jul-07, 21:58
It's the same everywhere. Last October the US National Weather Service said an El Nino event (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_nino) was in the works and so we could expect a wet winter in Southern California. The result? The driest winter since records were kept in LA. 3.72 inches from July 1st last year to June 30th this year, compared to an average of 15 inches (which is still not enough).

canuck
02-Jul-07, 23:22
The summer I spent in Caithness I was still wearing woolen stockings on July 15. But it warmed up a bit by August. The day Bill Fernie and I drove to Inverness for a NAG meeting the people there were actually wearing shorts and eating ice cream. Summer did arrive in Wick on my birthday that year. We had the best outdoor barbeque anyone could ever imagine. So it may be that July 15 is a blip day this summer, but the real celebration will be at Dunnet Head on August 22.

WeeBurd
02-Jul-07, 23:37
We can't grumble too much, it's been not bad so far. The kids have been in shorts more often than not, we've had two BBQ's already (two more than last year!), and it's only the beginning of July. I'm confident there's more to summer 2007 than just one day. ;)

karia
12-Jul-07, 14:46
Well it's almost here and the BBC 5 day weather forecast suggests that sunday, or should I say 'summer' is on course to be a smasher!:lol:

Karia

Lavenderblue2
12-Jul-07, 15:18
Has anyone compared the BBCi five day forecast for this area with the one on Yahoo? They are totally different - I'd like to believe the BBCi one but somehow I can't imagine that its 22 degrees here today - I'm feeling decidedly chilly sitting here doing the VAT.

I hope they've all got it wrong and we get that scorcher on Sunday!

LB

karia
12-Jul-07, 15:28
Hi Lavenderblue2,

Hmph! I see what you mean!:confused

Have just checked Yahoo for my area and there is a bit of a discrepancy.:roll:

Oh well, we'll just have to see what we get on the day, I suppose.

Karia

Angela
12-Jul-07, 15:32
The BBC site doesn't ever seem too accurate here in Embra....I use http://www.weather-wherever.co.uk/ ...which shows today here as max 18 degrees & cloudy...about right I'd say.

BBC predicts the 15th as 22 degrees and glorious sunshine [lol]...weather wherever is just a bit less optimistic! :roll:

Lavenderblue2
12-Jul-07, 15:34
Hi Karia

We can only live in hope...

Just when I decided that a tent in my garden would be a great idea for the granchildren this summer! I daren't tell them that I bought one or they'll start!

LB

karia
12-Jul-07, 15:41
Hi Lavenderblue2,

Lets hope that the weather will be lovely and you can spring it on them as a fantastic surprise!:D

Don't envy you the task of keeping it hidden all summer unless you have a very large house and unusually uninquisitive grandchildren!;)

Karia

Lavenderblue2
12-Jul-07, 15:41
Well Angela, I just took a look at weather-wherever Uk and it doesn't recognise KW14 - it says no city found.

Ach weel, now I've got an inferiority complex...:confused

Not really .. LB

Angela
12-Jul-07, 15:50
Well Angela, I just took a look at weather-wherever Uk and it doesn't recognise KW14 - it says no city found.

Ach weel, now I've got an inferiority complex...

Not really .. LB

Oh no! :eek: I can hardly believe that!

I suppose technically, there is no "city" - in that case could it be that they're lumping you in with Inverness or Aberdeen?

Sorry, LB, I feel really embarrassed to have made such a useless suggestion! :o

wifie
12-Jul-07, 16:05
Hope the prediction is correct for all peeps going to the Elton John concert at Caley Thistle Park! Mind you may be better if it is not too scorching!:)

Lavenderblue2
12-Jul-07, 16:09
Oh no! I can hardly believe that!

I suppose technically, there is no "city" - in that case could it be that they're lumping you in with Inverness or Aberdeen?

Sorry, LB, I feel really embarrassed to have made such a useless suggestion!

Don't worry Angela - it would have been great if it had worked. Maybe, given time, they will expand the service to include more towns and cities.

I'm off now to take a look at the seaweed at the back door - only joking :lol:

LB

sharon
12-Jul-07, 20:11
:~( i am going to miss most of that day, thats my night time!!! as i work night shifts!!!

karia
12-Jul-07, 20:15
Hi Sharon,

My husband is night shift that day too, so no BBQ!:~(

You can't plan much for a one day summer.

Karia

ruby
12-Jul-07, 20:32
hope it is right and hope the summer is more than one hot day

Lolabelle
12-Jul-07, 21:17
Only two more sleeps till summer.... ;)

karia
12-Jul-07, 21:30
Lollabelle,

you can't sleep!,... Youve got 'wiling' to do!

;);)!

Karia

Lolabelle
12-Jul-07, 21:33
Karia, all is progressing nicely on that front. We are now trying to do a budget for "The Trip" and we are doing it together!

DlanoD
14-Jul-07, 00:58
The summer I spent in Caithness I was still wearing woolen stockings on July 15. But it warmed up a bit by August. The day Bill Fernie and I drove to Inverness for a NAG meeting the people there were actually wearing shorts and eating ice cream. Summer did arrive in Wick on my birthday that year. We had the best outdoor barbeque anyone could ever imagine. So it may be that July 15 is a blip day this summer, but the real celebration will be at Dunnet Head on August 22.
Was just reading some quotes and chuckling to pass time and realised that there is no change this summer. o.k. its Friday 13th July 07 but I went into Wick today and got soaked to the skin.... yeugh its dreich, never mind can't complain as our wee county is beautiful in all weathers. Donald

Lolabelle
14-Jul-07, 02:31
Are you ready????
Get set.....

Summer is nearly here!!!!:cool:

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 07:46
Are you ready????
Get set.....

Summer is nearly here!!!!

According to the weather forecast I have just seen - it is going to rain tomorrow :( Perhaps they are wrong - cross my fingers for sunshine ;)

brandy
14-Jul-07, 08:42
ive always said wick was secretly brigadoon.. tis why they charge so much postage.. they cant find it and spend to much petrol looking!
and speaking of looking by the way things look outside.. tomorrow might be washed away!

Lavenderblue2
14-Jul-07, 09:06
Don't worry Angela - it would have been great if it had worked. Maybe, given time, they will expand the service to include more towns and cities.

I'm off now to take a look at the seaweed at the back door - only joking :lol:

LB

Angela - I take it all back!! When I went onto the weather-wherever site it gave me the option to register with my e.mail address - well today I've just recieved a 5 day forecast for Thurso! It certainly look right for today - it's lashing down. So sorry for the folk who are going to the Latheron Show today.

LB

sam
14-Jul-07, 10:21
According to the weather forecast I have just seen - it is going to rain tomorrow :( Perhaps they are wrong - cross my fingers for sunshine ;)

well a guess you and i have both saw the same weather forecast, I wont be holding my breath waiting for the sun to come out, if it does it will probably be followed by showers

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 10:23
well a guess you and i have both saw the same weather forecast, I wont be holding my breath waiting for the sun to come out, if it does it will probably be followed by showers

Apparently the met office have now issued a weather warning for tomorrow! Scotland is included - but not sure if it is all of Scotland or just the south ... where oh where is summer. :(

sam
14-Jul-07, 10:24
Lol it was that one good day last month :confused

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 10:27
Lol it was that one good day last month

:o must have blinked and missed it Sam :lol:

cuddlepop
14-Jul-07, 19:39
I think if your up early tomorrwow you'll catch the sun just before the rain moves up from the south:eek:

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-07, 19:51
I think I will get up extra early just incase I miss our wee bit of sunshine that we are supposed to be getting :cool: or not :( .

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 20:29
Sun is actually shining here - at the moment!!!!

karia
14-Jul-07, 20:38
Sun is actually shining here - at the moment!!!!

Where is that? you don't say.;)

looking good for 'central' tomorrow, 20 degrees!

I am slappin' on the fake-bake as we speak..

...that normally ensures rain!:lol:

Karia

laguna2
14-Jul-07, 20:47
Where is that? you don't say.;)

looking good for 'central' tomorrow, 20 degrees!

I am slappin' on the fake-bake as we speak..

...that normally ensures rain!:lol:

Karia

I'm just off the M8

rockchick
15-Jul-07, 09:31
Well, July 15th is here...and it's peeing with rain.

Some summer! [disgust]

Angela
15-Jul-07, 09:37
Oh rockchick, it's beautifully blue and sunny here - so far! ;)

Lolabelle
15-Jul-07, 09:55
Just had a look on Tugmistress's website and the web cam over Thurso looks not too bad. Bit a blue sky coming through the clouds, haven't seen that the last few days when I had a look.
Who knows, by the end of the day????

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 10:08
Beautiful morning here too! Have been outside repotting plants for ages.

Better go and wash some of the dirt of now ;)

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 10:10
I meant "off" and not "of"!! For some reason I cannot edit my posts.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Jul-07, 10:22
Sorry folks Im just going to hang out three loads of washing.......it is bound to rain now :roll:

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 10:47
Sorry folks Im just going to hang out three loads of washing.......it is bound to rain now :roll:

Oh no!!!!!!!! Please reconsider Alice :o

candyfloss
15-Jul-07, 10:50
The sun is trying it,s best to peek though in Wick, but there's still some black clouds up in the sky, i've got my second load of washing on, so you can blame me too if it rains [lol]

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 10:52
The sun is trying it,s best to peek though in Wick, but there's still some black clouds up in the sky, i've got my second load of washing on, so you can blame me too if it rains [lol]

Ah well, in that case, might as well join the club and hang out my washing too. Now where did those plans for an ark ?? ;)

Anne x
15-Jul-07, 11:06
well here we are july 15th and a beautiful day here blue skies and lots of sunshine

BBQ on standby !!!

hope it continues and we will get some summer apart from the one week at end of April :lol:

candyfloss
15-Jul-07, 11:06
Oh No, that big black clouds getting bigger and it's hanging about right above my washing line :eek:
Maybe we should all go and put the washing in the tumble dryer, the sun's sure to come back out then, :roll:

highlander
15-Jul-07, 12:01
Can i go and wash the windows?

Max
15-Jul-07, 12:21
Don't take the chance Highlander!!! Think I'll ride the horse that'll sort out the good weather!!

soccermom
15-Jul-07, 12:23
I thought I might wash the car - but I'll wait until highlander finishes the windows and see what happens!:confused

nanoo
15-Jul-07, 12:26
Well folks,here it is at last 15th July and our long awaited summer day. ENJOY!!!!:lol:[lol] Unfortunately I'm off to work.

Alice in Blunderland
15-Jul-07, 13:26
Had to take the washing in no need to tell you why......:lol:

Oh well theres the tumble drier going again .....

carlominno
15-Jul-07, 14:11
Lovely day here in Halkirk. Black clouds going around but so far has stayed dry and my washing is blowing beautifully in the breeze. Long may it continue.

Camel Spider
15-Jul-07, 15:24
Balck clouds gathering in Aberdeenshire, bit of sun this morning so its possibly heading your way folks !!

Just waiting for it to start raining .. :(

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 15:25
Black clouds have been hanging around here for a while, but the sun is still peeking through and it is warm :cool:

lassieinfife
15-Jul-07, 15:27
been absolutely beautiful in fife all day ..... what a wonderful start to my holidays ...... of to Tunisia for 2 weeks ................:lol:

laguna2
15-Jul-07, 15:31
been absolutely beautiful in fife all day ..... what a wonderful start to my holidays ...... of to Tunisia for 2 weeks ................:lol:

I am sure you will have a wonderful time :cool:

Lindsay
15-Jul-07, 17:01
Its peeing it down here in Lybster.........................and it`s still going

porshiepoo
15-Jul-07, 17:28
Just come back from Thurso watching Harry Potter - again! and it was ruddy boiling when we came out. Drove home imagining all the outside goodies I could get done and what happens???? Get to the A9 turn off and it's absolutely peeing down. Great!

cuddlepop
15-Jul-07, 18:20
Wall to wall blue Skye here,looks like its going to be a lovely evening:D

changilass
15-Jul-07, 18:22
Just started spitting rain in Castletown - so much for summer, it didn't even have the decency to last the whole day:~(

karia
15-Jul-07, 18:32
Evenin' all!

Not Sunny all day here, just the morning,.. but a lethargic balmy heat has descended now, and we're all doing our best Scarlett O'Hara impressions ,....
..I do declare! (Waves fan);)

Mint Julep anyone? :lol:

Karia

dirdyweeker
16-Jul-07, 00:18
Lovely, sunny and warm up Aonach Mor today. So hot on our way north we stopped to sunbathe on the Ness shores. :D First wet ground we hit.....Caithness!

Anne x
16-Jul-07, 00:37
Well stayed beautiful here had the BBQ and worked in garden all day makes a change !!!:) not a good forecast though ah well a week in April Nil in June and so far one in July maybe august for all the Leos and sunny people be good :lol:

Anne x
16-Jul-07, 11:53
well guess what woke today to pouring rain and it's still raining !!! so maybe 15th was the summer :~(

canuck
16-Jul-07, 14:30
Take heart Caithness orgers. July 15 may not have been the height of the summer! I have it on good authority that the real summer day will be August 22. Much to look forward to!

Gleber2
16-Jul-07, 14:35
Take heart Caithness orgers. July 15 may not have been the height of the summer! I have it on good authority that the real summer day will be August 22. Much to look forward to!

I assume you will be taking the weather with you?:D

golach
16-Jul-07, 14:36
I wonder if you have inside knowledge Canuck, have you been conversing with a higher authority? Or is a ray of sunshine going to appear in our dreich country? ;)

canuck
16-Jul-07, 14:38
Well, for the past three years, August 22 has been a glorious day. I am just counting on a fourth. See you all then.