PDA

View Full Version : why don't you draw a bath

brew
01-Jul-07, 15:53
Why do we say this, I can understand "why don't you run a bath" cause of running water, But just don't get what the saying "draw" is all about.

Anyone out there in .orgerland know an answer to this!!!!

Colin Manson
01-Jul-07, 15:56
It comes from a time before running water, you had to draw water from the well.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 15:57
I would guess it is from the act of "drawing water" from a well or whatever, just an archaic bit of english which has survived into the modern day when all other uses of "draw" with regard to water seem to have been discontinued.

snap!

brew
01-Jul-07, 15:59
Thank you both, I was asking my girlfriend cause it was bugging me, she just rolled her eyes. Think that she has given up on me and my quest to know stupid info.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 17:01
well for any stupid info you want please just ask. It is one of my missions in life to know as many stupid facts as I possibly can.

Guess that'll make me very stupid!

brew
01-Jul-07, 17:07
well for any stupid info you want please just ask. It is one of my missions in life to know as many stupid facts as I possibly can.

Okay, here is one for you. what does the fire extinguisher, the fire escape. (the metal stairs on the outside of a building), and the bullet proof jacket have in common. ????

DarkAngel
01-Jul-07, 19:43
Well i must admit ive never ever heard that saying before..Must be too young lol :Razz

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w148/alhughes27/blinkies.gif

stratman
01-Jul-07, 20:02
Here's one for ya Nickofthenorth.

During my twenty six years of nursing I have been asking everyone, from porters to consultants, with anal regularity, "why do so many hospital trolleys have yellow wheels"? They are either painted, self coloured or have coloured inserts. We are paying for this colour but nobody seems to know why. Please put this issue at the top of your agenda Nick we are all waiting with baited breath (now there's another) for your sagely answer.

karia
01-Jul-07, 20:28
I'm sure this is a really simple one but ' having a field day' ??

What field? Why?:confused

Nick???

Karia

Ricco
01-Jul-07, 22:05
Okay, here is one for you. what does the fire extinguisher, the fire escape. (the metal stairs on the outside of a building), and the bullet proof jacket have in common. ????

All invented by Scots?

Colin Manson
01-Jul-07, 22:43
I'm sure this is a really simple one but ' having a field day' ??

What field? Why?:confused

Nick???

Karia

Apparently the idiom is derived from the military use. A parade is much easier than the soldiers’ usual drilling and forced exercise.

From - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/have_a_field_day

horseman
01-Jul-07, 22:43
All invented by Scots?

If thats right,its entirely relevant an chuckable:roll:

canuck
01-Jul-07, 23:59

Consider joining us at the quiz. We need people with a headfull of facts.

Orgquiz is Sunday at 8:30 pm Scotland time, 3:30 pm where I am.

Lolabelle
02-Jul-07, 00:03
We do "run a bath" here, I guess we are not as inclined to stick to the old sayings here in oz.

highlander
02-Jul-07, 00:08
Another saying we use in caithness is, we ask "How's that" instead of "Why's that".

sassylass
02-Jul-07, 05:39
snip we are all waiting with baited breath (now there's another) snip.

The original spelling is "bated" which is a contraction of abated meaning reduced, lessened, or less forceful, as in a person holding their breath in anticipation. At least that's what I recall my dad telling me.

stratman
02-Jul-07, 07:41
Thanks for that Sassylass. Interesting answer. Now everyone turn their attention to the little yellow wheels.

trinkie
02-Jul-07, 08:38
I 'run' a bath, but 'draw' the curtains !

The rest of the furniture is real . Boom Boom !

connieb19
02-Jul-07, 23:30
Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So paid £9 each which totals £27. Add the £2 the bellboy took and you have £29.
Where is the remaining £1?
:confused::confused:

canuck
02-Jul-07, 23:33
Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So paid £9 each which totals £27. Add the £2 the bellboy took and you have £29.

DrSzin has it. He is the org math expert.

George Brims
03-Jul-07, 00:58
we are all waiting with baited breath

It's *bated* breath. Baited is what you do to a hook.
From the OED: Lowered or lessened in position, amount, force, estimation, etc.; esp. in bated breath: breathing subdued or restrained under the influence of awe, terror, or other emotion.

Jeemag_USA
03-Jul-07, 01:01
It's *bated* breath. Baited is what you do to a hook.
From the OED: Lowered or lessened in position, amount, force, estimation, etc.; esp. in bated breath: breathing subdued or restrained under the influence of awe, terror, or other emotion.

Does this come as a corruption of the word abated, just curious, because abated means lessened as well doesn't it?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the answer now a page back ;)

Lolabelle
03-Jul-07, 02:48
I want to know where the pound went?????????????

Elenna
03-Jul-07, 11:41

I believe they were all invented (perhaps, or perhaps not, actually patented) by women...?

:lol: And yes, that missing pound would make quite an amusing party piece!

Bobinovich
03-Jul-07, 16:43

Good one, but in the end £27 was paid by the guests to which you add the £5 refunded by the manager (making £32) then subtract the £2 kept by the bellboy making the original £30!