PDA

View Full Version : MDF in Thurso?

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 11:07
Is there anywhere in Thurso (or Wick) that sells sheets of MDF (medium density fibreboard) or plywood?

TIA

Nick

Geo
01-Jul-07, 11:51
Thurso Building Supplies will have ply, not sure about MDF. They are down from the railway station.

You may already know this but if you go with MDF remember to have proper ventilation when cutting it and a face mask. Nasty stuff.

MR J
01-Jul-07, 12:16
The Wood Yard, 4 Union Street, Wick, 01955 602101. They do various thicknesses and veneer covered boards as well.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 12:18
Many thanks Geo.

Indeed it is nasty stuff, when cutting, sanding etc - but very nice and stable when finished, and gives a real good painted surface :)

I prefer MDF for what I'm doing, but will go with ply if I must.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 12:21
Thanks MRJ

anneoctober
01-Jul-07, 12:24
Is this THE Nick ? from DIY SOS fame LOL

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 12:35
No, that's this Nick (http://www.nickknowles.com/about/), mind you he did do the voice over for a programme I was on...

corgiman
01-Jul-07, 14:24
I get mine from woodbee's in Thurso

poppett
01-Jul-07, 15:31
Woodbees in Sinclair Street Thurso have or can obtain all timber supplies.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 15:37
Woodbees sounds like my kind of shop :)

Thanks to all.

poppett
01-Jul-07, 15:39
Nick,

You`ll love Woodbees.........it is a pure treasure trove and much underestimated. Prices very reasonable and they do cutting to size too.

NickInTheNorth
01-Jul-07, 15:48
it sounds even better, I must say each time I've passed by I have liked the look of the place. It's nice to finally (after only 4 weeks :) ) have the excuse to pay them a visit.

Guess where I'm going first thing monday...

corgiman
01-Jul-07, 15:50
I find them brilliant they cut the mdf to size for builing and deliver and if I need hinges or anything I can always get what I need there

George Brims
03-Jul-07, 01:12
Now if you were in Australia you would use - Brimsboard!

http://www.brims.com.au/difference.htm

No clue if any of those Oz Brims people are related.

thirsaloon
11-Jul-07, 12:28
Always get good service in Woodbees, very friendly and down to earth. Plus they are willing to go out their way for you, more than can be said for others. They also make the Caithness Chair, worth going in to see that alone. I ordered MDF from them awhile ago and they were the cheapest I could find.

NickInTheNorth
11-Jul-07, 13:35
many thanks for all the response on this, and I must agree that woodbees are excellent, good prices, good service, I will certainly be using them again. The additional shelving that was needed is now in place.

Now I know where to buy materials my to do list is mysteriously growing. Must steal Jill's pen...

rfr10
11-Jul-07, 18:25
What about the DIY shop in Victoria Place, Wick.

Wouldn't they do it?

NickInTheNorth
11-Jul-07, 18:56
Possibly, but why travel to Wick from Forss :D