PDA

View Full Version : A Wet Sunday....

Torvaig
01-Jul-07, 10:03
If you are looking for something to do today why not take a run out in the country to Lyth Arts Centre which has just opened for it's summer season exhibition.

If you have a look at www.lytharts.org.uk (http://www.lytharts.org.uk) you can see what is on offer.

There are superb photographs by Fergus Mather of the many distinguished jazz musicians who have visited Lyth which will be appreciated by all our photographers here on the boards.

Still with a music theme, are oil paintings by Andrew Sinclair who graduated in Fine Art at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in 1996. This exhibition includes some wonderful studies of Highland musicians and captures the magical bond between player and instrument.

Then there are images by four artists; Sarah Orr, Meg Telfer, Sue Jane Taylor and Mark Smith. These illustrate the variety of occupations now found in the North from fishing and crofting to oil working. Personally, I love "The Peat Cutters"!

There is also craftwork by Isobel Ackary, Laura Street, Calum Young and Catherine MacLeod (whose work includes a brand new Caithness chair alongside a much older example); all very interesting.

Finally, there is a stunning wall of sixty miniature portraits by Eugenia Vronskaya who was born in Moscow and graduated from the Moscow Fine Art University and now lives near Inverness.

The centre is open from 12 noon until 5pm daily during July and August and when you are finished viewing the gallery do take a comfy seat in the foyer with a refreshing cup of tea or coffee and some of Betsy's superb home baking of scones, pancakes, cakes etc., a treat which is not to be missed and I can assure you I talk from experience!

Go on, treat yourselves on a rainy day!:)

Angela
01-Jul-07, 11:35
Oh Torvaig, I would if I could!
Is there a magic carpet somewhere? :confused
Last time I was in Caithness, I bought a picture there that I do treasure.:)

Margaret M.
01-Jul-07, 13:32
Great suggestion, Torvaig, and thanks for all the info. This is a must do when I come home in a few weeks.

Torvaig
01-Jul-07, 14:47
Angela, I hope it won't be too long before you visit Lyth again; you will probably want to buy another picture I bet! Let me know the next time you are in Caithness..

Margaret M., I hope you enjoy your visit in a few weeks; you won't regret it.

I simply love the place; I started school there in the fifties and I can still hear the bairns play if I stop and listen. It is a lovely old building and has been made very comfortable due to renovations. A good place to sit with friends especially if it is a fine day and you can eat outside.

badger
01-Jul-07, 18:19
Hope you get up here this summer Angela, it's definitely worth it. I was fascinated by the two little books by Ivor Cutler - Herbert the Chicken and Herbert the Elephant - which I understand they had been given permission to scan and reprint for display. The artist, Alfreda Benge, is I think coming up later this summer. Tried ebay as would love to buy them but no luck .

The 60 portraits by Eugenia Vronskaya are incredible - each one deserving study. Could have spent ages just looking at them and wondering about the individuals.

horseman
01-Jul-07, 23:05
Angela, I hope it won't be too long before you visit Lyth again; you will probably want to buy another picture I bet! Let me know the next time you are in Caithness..

Margaret M., I hope you enjoy your visit in a few weeks; you won't regret it.

I simply love the place; I started school there in the fifties and I can still hear the bairns play if I stop and listen. It is a lovely old building and has been made very comfortable due to renovations. A good place to sit with friends especially if it is a fine day and you can eat outside.

How very nice.We hope to get up north this year,an if so, your points will be taken aboard.