PDA

View Full Version : Beware of travelling salesman

dook
01-Jul-07, 08:10
Like to post a warning in relation to the travelling salesman who arrive at your door in either a white or blue transit. Certainly not going to pick holes in the goods they sell (generators/power washers etc) as they all appear new and legal (they get stopped by the Police a lot-checked outside my house!!). I just want to warn against the tactics employed.

A lot of hard sell, even taking the box out and putting it in my garage. Misrepresenting the item and power (as a genuine Honda generator) and vastly overpricing the item.

I played a bit of the Devils advocate and stood for a while bartering with him. Got the price down from £450 to £200 all the time requesting to see the operators manual ("I'll look it out Sir, I'll look it out Sir"). I then made him fill and start the brand new generator. It ran perfectly to be honest.

All the time I still hadn't even said that I wanted one. The boy was trying to shake my hand more than a politician on polling day.

I finally said that I was just going to check it out on the internet and his face dropped. Went in, popped up a well known auction site, and found the exact same generator (unnamed CL3000 petrol) on numerous buy it now sites for £125 + £20 delivery. It also showed that the KVA output was half of what the man said it was (no wonder he wouldn't give the manual).

I want back outside and surprise surprise, the generator was back in the transit and they were expecting the inevitable which they got.

Hope this helps someone from being pressurised into anything.