PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Hours - research question

Lolabelle
29-Jun-07, 07:39
OK, here's a question for you; in summer in Caithness, when does it get dark, and when does it get light again?

Here in oz, we don't have twilight like you folk do. The sun heads toward the horizon and then it is dark. I can't even imagine the way you have so much light in summer, and then so little in winter.

I would appreciate your imput very much. :)

davem
29-Jun-07, 08:17
For about 3 weeks round the longest day if it is a clear sky you can see well enough to walk about right through the night. So for a while it does get darker but not completely.

brokencross
29-Jun-07, 08:21
I remember my dad telling me in the past he had played bowls at the Rosebank Playing Fields at midnight around mid-summers day.

katarina
29-Jun-07, 13:58
we used to go swimming at the trinkie on midsummers night at midnight - they don't do it any more - guess the kids of today are too soft to swim in REAL water. North sea! Brrrrr.

brew
29-Jun-07, 14:37
I remember my dad telling me in the past he had played bowls at the Rosebank Playing Fields at midnight around mid-summers day.

When I worked at Skibo castle I know they would have a midnight golf match with bright green glow balls on the longest day.

George Brims
29-Jun-07, 22:33
I remember being able to change a fishing fly about 10pm one night on Loch Watten. That's undoing and then tying a new knot in nylon monofilament. Nowadays I require reading glasses to do that at high noon!

There's a table of day length for different latitudes and dates here http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/daylength.html

However I don't know if that takes into account the extended twilight you get in summer at high latitudes, because the sun slides below the horizon at a shallow angle rather than dropping straight down as it does near the equator.

Caithness is at about 58 degrees N.