PDA

View Full Version : Highland Youth Voice- Raise the profile!

rfr10
28-Jun-07, 22:23
Highland Youth Voice- The Youth Parliament of the Highlands

If you've got any son(s)/ daughter(s) who go to High School or who are going into High School after the summer, please ask them to check out www.highlandyouthvoice.org (http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org) and familiarize themselves with who their Highland Youth Voice reps are for their school. We are in desperate need of promotion as it seems there is a lack of knowledge of what Youth Voice is about.

We depend on the views of Young People and Highland Youth Voice reps shouldn't be representing themselves at conferences. The idea is to represent the youth of The Highlands therefore we need as many young people as possible to help us meet our targets.

Ask them to take part in online discussions by visiting http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/eXtras/shoutout.asp and leaving us a message and what they think about living in the Highlands. Tell us what they want to see improved, what they want to see more of and what good things have happened already in their area.

Should you choose to ignore this message? If this is your choice then go ahead but we do really need you to show your support too so PLEASE do so by telling your son(s) / daughter(s) about Youth Voice.

Thank You!!

PS. Any comments in reply to this message will be appreciated. Let us know if you will be helping to support us too! :D

Highland Youth Voice Reps can be found at : http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/RepsElections/Whosmyrep.asp
Executive Committee names can be found at : http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/RepsElections/HYVexec.asp

In addition- Highland Youth Voice Reps are also ambassadors of Highland 2007. If you have any questions/comments/suggestions for Highland 2007, you can let Highland Youth Voice Reps know.

Details and feedback of a recent "Apprentice Day" where young people from Youth Voice shadowed key officials and directors in the Highland Council and Wellbeing Alliance can be found at http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/files/Apprentice_Day_07.pdf

Tubthumper
28-Jun-07, 22:40
How do rfr, what's fresh. Will spread the word of the HYF around all the small and smellies I encounter.
By the way, did you ever get the results of the Scotland-wide poll on school uniform you mentioned a whiley back, during the great WHS Dress Code Rebellion?

rfr10
28-Jun-07, 22:45
How do rfr, what's fresh. Will spread the word of the HYF around all the small and smellies I encounter.
By the way, did you ever get the results of the Scotland-wide poll on school uniform you mentioned a whiley back, during the great WHS Dress Code Rebellion?

Oh yea.. just a moment and I'll go and get them.

rfr10
28-Jun-07, 22:48
Results are:

20% Hate School Uniform
20% Love School Uniform
60% Dont care

Tubthumper
28-Jun-07, 22:51
Interesting. Have you any idea if that's a fair reflection of the feeling in Wick? I know youse are all on hols now, but I wonder if that result is coloured by many central belters or fee-paying schoolers?

rfr10
28-Jun-07, 22:59
Interesting. Have you any idea if that's a fair reflection of the feeling in Wick? I know youse are all on hols now, but I wonder if that result is coloured by many central belters or fee-paying schoolers?

Hrm.. I'm not sure.

I think, in Wick, the way it is going is.. the majority of people, when asked about school uniform would say that they hate it and really don't want to wear it where as, when it comes to the time that they are asked to wear it, they will wear it and also change their view by saying it is "cool" This, maybe to put them self in a good picture. I have heard from many people who have seen the school uniform and who have said they don't want to wear it that they are now going to wear it. Mainly because of pressure from parents.

The fact is now that, before, the majority hate the fact that they have to wear a uniform but now, that they are being told to do so, they are changing their views to match themselves. eg. After all of my arguments against school uniform, saying that I wont wear it and I hate it, if I was told to wear it and I did, then my views would probably changed, purely on the fact that I'm going along with my own views.

I don't know if half that made sense but I'm not going on about uniform again.

Could we focus on the point in raising the profile of Youth Voice :D

Tubthumper
28-Jun-07, 23:43
Indeed we can. A highly laudable organisation. Has the new boss made any difference as far as you can see?

rfr10
29-Jun-07, 17:52
Indeed we can. A highly laudable organisation. Has the new boss made any difference as far as you can see?

The new boss as in the Chief Executive of the Highland Council, the new chair of Highland Youth Voice or the new person who leads the Highland Youth Voice Executive meetings?

Or someone else? :Razz

rfr10
29-Jun-07, 18:23
If anyone has any suggestions of any other ways we can promote youth voice then this would be very helpful.

We now have Highland Youth Voice t-shirts made- do you think this will help?

I've tried with a notice board in Wick High School but it just got covered up by new noticed boards- that's how much they care.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

gollach
29-Jun-07, 21:07
How about getting yourself a stand at the county show? I think it's in Wick this year - very handy ;)

Royster1911
30-Jun-07, 22:16
The best way to get a message across to the audience you are looking for seems to be simple. Go to the primary schools and try to arrange a time that you can speak to the P7`s just before schools break up for summer. Too late this year, but next year?