PDA

View Full Version : 1976 and all that...

Rheghead
29-Jun-05, 14:17
Here we are again, 2005 and we have got the threat of hose pipe bans in parts of Britain.

I consider myself a low user of water, here is my typical usage profile.

I never wash my car, as I believe you can do more damage the paintwork if you do.
I shower about 1 to 3 times a week depending on time of year and activity.
I do not have a dishwasher, I do the dishes by hand in a bowl.
I do not use a hose pipe on the garden.
I have house plants but they don't take too much, about 5 litres a week, if that.
I do not flush the loo everytime I use it, much to the annoyance of my wife(A good tip if you are male and you live near deer populations, have a pee in your garden, they don't like the smell so they won't go near)

I think I would like to be metered on the water, I am sick of paying for everybody elses ignorance.

cullbucket
29-Jun-05, 14:48
Well and truly back!!! Polls the lot....

I am metered and don't mind, its not too dear anyway compared to the other flood of bills that arrive each month.
I'd have to challenge you on your personal hygiene tho - 1 shower a week is a wee bit on the savoury side for my liking. My wife gives me gyp if I even skip a day, which I don't think is too bad in a non-sweaty time of year.....
I too like to water the garden or flower beds of an evening rather than use the toilet - guess its like marking my territory - also saves waking up the baby too....
I never wash my car - I am also lazy and it only cost £1000 so I regard it as a diposable commodity - if it lasts 2 yrs then I'm happy....

Rheghead
29-Jun-05, 14:51
Only the dirty need to wash every day. :roll: :)

hereboy
29-Jun-05, 17:06
I have lived in a couple of places where water was metered and I recommend it. Makes you think too.

No letting the tap run while you are brushing your teeth.
No putting the washing machine on for one pair of soiled pants.
No annoying water pistol/water balloon fights.
No watering the garden in daylight, this is great, I usually operate in the dark anyway.
No half hour showers (that just leads to the devils work).
No drinking minging tap water - only bottled (which you pay for).
You get to use towels for the purpose for which they were intended (every 10 year old who has played football knows its the towel that gets the dirt off, not the water - duh!!)
Best bit is you get to grass on your neighbours if they break hosepipes bans etc. Bonus. Doing your bit as a responsible citizen.

So, that said, water is of course a resource which as with oil, it is not automatically replenishable/extractable on a timescale that will meet our present consumption needs.

check out - http://www.futureharvest.org/news/03171999.shtml

People need to realise that nothing is a birthright, everything must be paid for one day one way or another.... so get after it!

Meter water, conserve water and hopefully the revenue will help to develop more access to this scarce resource.

What do we want, METERED WATER, when do we want it, NOW!

htwood
29-Jun-05, 17:54

My grannie always said "A rat never smells its own nest". ;)

crayola
30-Jun-05, 00:33
What you lot on? This is Scotland! It rains here. A lot. We hae water coming oot wer ears. It's no as if it's a flippin fossil fuel. What we gonna do wi the water we save? Stick it in a giant cullbucket, give it til G8 Boab and send it til Africa with a white ribbon wrapped aroond hid? Jings, crivens and help ma Boab, next ye'll be wandering aboot e toon wearing "save e hedgehogs" badges.

Setanta
30-Jun-05, 01:32
I think I would like to be metered on the water, I am sick of paying for everybody elses ignorance.

I am metered and I dont think it works that way, cause I pay too much IMHO

Rheghead
05-Jul-05, 01:09

My grannie always said "A rat never smells its own nest". ;)

Well, I have also heard that rats are very intelligent for there brain/body mass ratio. It seems too many showers can have a serious implications for mental health (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1451152.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery) :D

Manganese is used as a reducing agent to remove oxygen in the smelting of steel (about 1-2% by weight), so if you see rust in your water then you can be sure of getting your dose of brain poison.

cullbucket
05-Jul-05, 07:20
That report was written by Dr John Spangler - Says it all.....
Wonder did he invent those sweeties from the 1970s the famous 'Spangle'

brandy
05-Jul-05, 09:08
hmmm thinks of all the water she wasted filling the kids paddling pool the other day .. *grins*
heres one for you.. how many of you have lived thru a drought?
i have.. and i have had my water rationed..
its not a nice thing..
in drought the first thing to go in the water hose.. no washing cars.. no watering plants.. you are allowed only x ammount of water for day to day living..
and let me tell you.. you get to where you appreciate the water!!!
see how mankin the water gets when a family of 10 share one bath..
there is plenty of water here and unless something goes horribly wrong with the eco system i dont think we are in too much worry of water shortage...
and with todays tech.. water is recycled anyway..
im all for conservation though.. just be sensible.. when you brush your teeth dont leave the water running.. make sure the toilet dosent cont. run after you flush.. turn the tap tight to stop that annoying lil drip.. but at the moment there is no need to go over board.. :D just conserve and enjoy.. dont ration!

garycs
05-Jul-05, 10:57
I've had a meter in the past and think they are in principle a good idea. However the current scale of charges from Scottish Water don't give enough incentive to switch over to a meter.

Typical water only supply on rates is £163 pa

Standing charge for meter £123pa

Difference = £40

First 25m3 per year are charged at £1.93/m3 (about 75p/l thereafter)

Therefore £40/£1.93= 20.7m3 or 20 700 litres

Divide by 365 = 57 litres per day

So if you can run your household on 6 buckets of water per day you can save money :eek:

When we only had one child we tried everything we could to reduce water consumption but still used around 80m3 per year, and that was very low compared to our neighbours!
On the above scale of charges our bill would have been £212, why should we pay £90 per year extra just for the knowledge that we are making an effort to save water. :(

If you work out the costs for a family of four with the average consumption per head quoted by Scottish water (143litres per person per day) then the annual bill would be £309 [evil]

Remember that these figures are for water supply only, if your have mains waste water the metered charges show an even greater discrepancy from unmetered charges!

Zael
05-Jul-05, 14:01
Typical water only supply on rates is £163 pa

Does this include wastewater charges?

If so then my total water bill is £231.84 (btw: thats band A on the council tax form) and they can bring on the meter.

If not then its £108.84 and they can stick their meter thanks.

garycs
05-Jul-05, 14:11
£163 is the quoted charge for a band D property for water only

Zael
05-Jul-05, 15:05
So your price does not include wastewater?

Does the meter deal with waste water or do you have to pay for that on top?

garycs
05-Jul-05, 15:23
You pay more for waste than the supply, check out www.scottishwater.co.uk all the prices are on there :D

I'm just in the process of arranging a supply for my building plot, I'd like to be "green" and have a meter, but I'd prefer to be equally "green" and save money :(