PDA

View Full Version : Why do sheep do it?

Kenn
27-Jun-07, 22:44
I was asked a strange question today. "Why do sheep that are filing from one area to another suddenly take it into their heads to play leap frog?"
Apparently this has been bemusing the questioner and her mother for some years.
The only reason I could think of, is because they can.
Any sheep farmers out there who can give a better explanation?

katarina
27-Jun-07, 22:45
guess even sheep like to have a little fun sometimes!

golach
27-Jun-07, 23:00
Because sheep are basically stupid Lizz

Foxy
27-Jun-07, 23:30
Because sheep are basically stupid Lizz

sheep are highly intelligent. :D

In answer to the lizz's question, when sheep are full of the joys they like to play leap frog. ;)

Wellies
28-Jun-07, 00:47
Its just called Spring Fever. They are just happy animals:) and yes I agree with Foxy they are intellegent.

Jeemag_USA
28-Jun-07, 02:31
Sheep also jump in fear, I worked a few seasons at shearing and so forth, just helping out and grabbing the sheep for the shearers. When you are rushing them into an area they tend to try and jump over each other, its not fun why they are doing it in that instance, they are scrambling to get away. I once lost one into a shed, it went through the shed door and I followed it in, it turned around on me and jumped straight through a window and broke the glass, one of those old style windows with a cross beam and four pains, broke the wood and everything, they just go mentil sometimes, I think it is fear.

But in the instance quoted when they are moving from one place to another, I think they are just having a laugh and getting frollicky, having some fun. Maybe its practice for the times when the Farmer is scaring the heck oot of them :D

MadPict
28-Jun-07, 08:37
They do it to make us humans ask why do they do it.......

BRIE
28-Jun-07, 10:04
sheep are highly intelligent. :grin:

if there so intelligent why do they always walk/run in front of your car when your goin past?! doesnt matter how slow you go they always do it!!:lol:

fred
28-Jun-07, 10:43
I was asked a strange question today. "Why do sheep that are filing from one area to another suddenly take it into their heads to play leap frog?"
Apparently this has been bemusing the questioner and her mother for some years.
The only reason I could think of, is because they can.
Any sheep farmers out there who can give a better explanation?

They arn't playing leapfrog they're dancing, sheep love to dance. They would go down to the disco except they don't allow gambolling on licensed premises.

fred
28-Jun-07, 10:46
sheep are highly intelligent. :grin:

if there so intelligent why do they always walk/run in front of your car when your goin past?! doesnt matter how slow you go they always do it!!:lol:

Sheep walks into road, car driver stops. Sheep stares at driver and telepathically commands them to blow horn. Sheep moves out of road car driver sets off.

If car drivers are so intelligent how come it is the sheep who is in control?

JAWS
28-Jun-07, 10:59
It's because they move in a flock. Once one jumps, for whatever reason, the ones behind will assume there is some obstruction to jump over and will automatically jump in order to avoid it.
When they are packed close together they can only see the backs of the sheep around them and cannot see what is on the ground.
It's a pure survival instinct, to trip and fall is to risk getting trampled and either badly injured or killed.

Jeemag_USA
28-Jun-07, 12:58
Sheep walks into road, car driver stops. Sheep stares at driver and telepathically commands them to blow horn. Sheep moves out of road car driver sets off.

I was going to say something along those lines.....

Sheep walks back off road to talk to other sheep friend.... "That makes the 12th fool today Mary" [lol]

Jeemag_USA
28-Jun-07, 13:00
It's because they move in a flock. Once one jumps, for whatever reason, the ones behind will assume there is some obstruction to jump over and will automatically jump in order to avoid it.
When they are packed close together they can only see the backs of the sheep around them and cannot see what is on the ground.
It's a pure survival instinct, to trip and fall is to risk getting trampled and either badly injured or killed.

Aw come on thats far too logical :Razz

golach
28-Jun-07, 15:31
I think the sheep have joined the .Org, one idjit.Orger, sorry sheep, does/says something and the rest follw [lol]

Kenn
28-Jun-07, 22:44
Well folk I amazed at the answers both sensible and humourous...I shall be looking at sheep with great interest from now on.

Jeemag_USA
28-Jun-07, 22:46
I want to know how lambs always know how to aim for your family jewels when they feel like head buttin something, I think their parents have been teaching them bad stuff :lol:

helenwyler
28-Jun-07, 23:22
Well if you wanted to headbutt someone, would you aim for their legs? Your family jewels would be the nearest soft tissue I guess, considering where their head is. Glad I don't have family jewels, although the male dog next door seems to think I have:D! (And at my age!!)

BRIE
29-Jun-07, 09:52

I must be coming across a new breed of sheep as the ones that i come across dont even budge when you blow the horn!!:lol: maybe there deaf??:eek:

GALTAQUAY
29-Jun-07, 10:18
[because there full of life like when there were lambs it make me smile seing auld ewes jumping about

karia
29-Jun-07, 19:27
Hi Folks,

On our way out to Tongue last week we found ourselves behind three sheep who decided to dominate our view, and progress, with a slow donder down the road,three abreast, backsides swayin' like the magnificent seven,...I swear they were chewin' baccy!

One wee lamb scatterin' round their ankles , going,...' I dont like this!':(

' yooor gonna learn son!' and with bodyguards like that, he'll be just fine!

karia

horseman
29-Jun-07, 20:21
One of my g-sons said-whats that you'r on granad? The org says I, look!So he scanned down this post,God bless him,he said it was great!
What a smashing lad:D