PDA

View Full Version : road works

bluelady
27-Jun-07, 21:29
[lol] hmm, can anyone tell me why are the powers that be, always plan to dig up the roads during tourist season and when all the major events are on ? thats bad enough but when its the bally same bit of road aggh [disgust]

catsbasket
28-Jun-07, 07:58
i think one reason is that they days are longer...in the winter the weather has more chance of being bad and days last much less than summer days

Cattach
28-Jun-07, 14:33
[lol] hmm, can anyone tell me why are the powers that be, always plan to dig up the roads during tourist season and when all the major events are on ? thats bad enough but when its the bally same bit of road aggh [disgust]

They cannot win - do it in winter and there are weather problems, do not do it at all and we complain about the condition of the roads, Do it in Spring or Autumn - well that's just like doing it in Winter!!
Could be worse - they could be washed away in the terrible floods they have had in the south - just think how lucky you are with good quite roads, hardly ever a real hold up.

Skerries
29-Jun-07, 10:27
hmm, can anyone tell me why are the powers that be, always plan to dig up the roads during tourist season and when all the major events are on ? thats bad enough but when its the bally same bit of road aggh [disgust]

It's too wet in the autumn/winter/spring to tar and chip the roads, and there's not enough money to pay for it at other times because the money goes to flood response and winter gritting. Catsbasket is also right, there's more daylight just now to get it done in fewer days.

As for why the roads are repeatedly patched, that's because the government doesn't give councils with a large road network enough money to resurface whole roads or rebuild ones that are falling to bits. More money could be had by sacking high-heid yins! ;)

badger
29-Jun-07, 15:54
They do seem to have been very busy lately - stretches of road re-surfaced all over the place. Was a bit upset about one bit they did between Castletown and Bower as used to look forward to driving over a really good surface which was done not so long ago I'm sure. It was a pleasure to drive on. Gone now.

And while we're on the subject, may I say a big thank you to all the drivers who ignored the 20 mph limit when the road had just been done and shot through at their usual speed. I made the mistake of being on the pavement one day and had my legs showered with chippings - goodness knows what they could have done to the face of a small child. The pavement was covered. Why do so many people drive as though they were on life or death missions? Maybe if they didn't the roads would last a bit longer.

©Amethyst
29-Jun-07, 18:38
And while we're on the subject, may I say a big thank you to all the drivers who ignored the 20 mph limit when the road had just been done and shot through at their usual speed.

People who ignore speed limits at roadworks are my biggest pet hate at the moment.

My car was in an accident where our garage door fell on it - scrached roof, bonnet, side pannel, windscreen and snapped the arial off. Cost £1,100+.

Just outside tain last week... speeding car (for the normal speed limit) heading north passed us as we were heading south threw up a huge chip or stone from the road... it damaged the newly done paintwork on the bonnet and chipped our new windscreen.

I WISH I got the reg number!