PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Spinnin' - 2

MadPict
08-Jan-03, 16:36
So the principle is the same as "Spinnin' - 1".

What are you listening to on your CD player, PC, Mac, MP3 player (iPod I hope) at the moment. Think that others would be able to 'get into' your music likes? Then post it here and share your music with others.

What Are You Spinnin' - 1 was a popular thread with almost 300 postings, nearly 4000 views (if my memory serves me correctly) and not one day off the front of the forum index. See if we can keep this one going for as long.

By the way, if anyone should find the original Spinnin' thread, please put it in a Jiffy Bag and send it to :- MadPict, The Broch, East Pictopia.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/borgsmile.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

Mr P Cannop
08-Jan-03, 16:44
Pipe band cds

MadPict
08-Jan-03, 17:39
Thanks for starting the ball (rocking &) rolling Paul. Do you like all pipe music or traditional pipe band stuff?
If you like any pipes have you heard any Martyn Bennett - he is a "techno-piper" and tends to play the pipes (all types) .
A brief idea of his music from All Music Guide

The musical traditions of Scotland are fused with the technology and rhythms of modern dance music by multi-instrumentalist and composer Martyn Bennett. Roots World described Bennett's musical approach when they wrote, "he weaves solo instruments in-and-out of the imaginary orchestra just as a classically trained musician." While the L.A. Times reviewed Bennett's self-titled 1996 debut album as "an invigorating and captivating form of multi-culturalism," the Toronto Sun observed that "the record sports Gaelic jigs, Penjabi melodies, Scandanavian chanting, and Turkish bagpies, which are fit together with seamlessness by synthesizers and drum machines."

I have his "Bothy Culture" album and it is quite good, but if you prefer your pipes ala "Band of the Black Watch" then it may be a step too far for you!

Mr P Cannop
08-Jan-03, 20:58
traditional pipe music

Anonymous
10-Jan-03, 03:41
Thanks for starting this new thread, MadPict! :D It's a pity the original one disappeared accidentally, though! :~(

This week, I've been listening to Van Morrison's "Moondance" album, which I bought recently. I never did have it on vinyl or cassette, when it was first released in 1971, but I do remember the songs so well! It's rather mellow, and great for late night listening! :)

I'm sure you would enjoy it too, Squidge, seeing as you are a fan of "Van the man"! I also like spinnin' my "Best of Van Morrison" CD, which you had recommended a few months ago. They're all great tracks, but some of my favourites are "Brown Eyed Girl", "Domino" and "Wild Night". :cool:

squidge
10-Jan-03, 15:07
I love Van Morrison and i like that album too.

This morning i have been reading and listening to

Robbie Williams - Escapology
Norah Jones - Come away with me
Miles Davies - Kind of Blue

No work for squidge today as you can probably tell

:D

Anonymous
10-Jan-03, 16:21
I like Robbie Williams too, Squidge! :D I don't have his latest album "Escapology", yet, but I do like the song "Feel" from it, and have enjoyed watching the music video for that track on MTV! :cool: As well as his voice, I like Robbie's cheeky sense of humour, and the naughty looks he gives! :D

I have three of his CDs so far.They are:

"The Ego Has Landed " - 1999

"Sing When You're Winning" - 2000

"Swing When You're Winning" - 2001

And for all you opera buffs who missed my URL for Mario Frangoulis, on the original WAYS thread, here it is again!

http://www.mariofrangoulis.com/splash-f.html

There are some music clips from his "Sometimes I Dream" album on there. I'm definitely going to buy that CD, as soon as I can get my hands on it! I liked what I heard, and especially love his "Nights in White Satin/Notte Di Luce" sung in Italian! Sent shivers down my spine! :eek:
Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues sings the last verse in English. Thanks for telling me about this version of the song, Loafer! :D For those of you who are fans of Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban, you will really appreciate the amazing voice of Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis! :cool:

squashed frog
10-Jan-03, 17:46
AC/DC - ball breaker(golden oldies) :D
Avril Lavigne - Let Go(trying to get into it) :confused
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the way(excellent tunes) :p

mike.mckenzie
10-Jan-03, 18:26
Life On Other Planets by Supergrass!

And I'm meeting up with them on the 24th at an after gig party in Manchester! Woo!
The connections Bueller gets you!

Anyone spot me in theJohn O Groat journal?

Nope didn't think so.... :D

Jeid
10-Jan-03, 18:40
i'm listening to lots of stuff

the living end and feeder tho

Anonymous
10-Jan-03, 20:22
:eyes

linzy222
10-Jan-03, 20:22
REM-Automatic for the people

REM-Out of time

2 Brilliant albums

My kids are getting a bit fed up with hearing them now tho lol

I even have them in the car, brilliant band!!

DrSzin
10-Jan-03, 20:51
Aida (Price, Gorr, Vickers & Merrill; Solti) -- perhaps not the best Aida I have, but it's Verdi dammit.
Missundaztood (Pink ) -- yeah, I'm much too old for that sort of stuff, but I don't care.

Aye, aye, ayeeee, the two contrasting styles complement each other well, so they do...

MadPict
10-Jan-03, 22:00
When I was on holiday in Florida I kept hearing 1000 Miles by Vanessa Carlton, and a catchy tune it was - I found myself humming it all times of the day. I understand she has joined forces with Counting Crows for their new single, Yellow Taxi , I think.
Any further folks?

spittalpunks
11-Jan-03, 11:19
The Real MacKenzies quality Scottish punk fae Canada

also annoying the neighbours this week has been Emperor-Promethesus:The Discipline of Fire and Demise, Jesse Malin-The Fine Art of Self Destruction, The Datsuns and Dio.

RHN12
12-Jan-03, 21:13
Once again, in no particular order of preference:

"Wrecking Ball" - Emmylou Harris
"In Session" - Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
"The Teacher" - Ravi Shankar
"Brainwashed" - George Harrison

These are the most recent acquisitions...oh and anything by Van Morrison is played regularly. Speaking of Van, I'm glad you have discovered "the Man", Lady K. And it sounds like Squidge and I have something in common. I've been a fan of Van's for more years than I care to remember. One of my goals is to get all his albums on vinyl and CD. I think I need three CDs to achieve this. He's an exceptiopnal talent.

Peter
Melbourne, Australia.

MadPict
13-Jan-03, 20:55
Today I bought Kosheen - "Resist"
Described by AMG as
"The drum'n'bass trio tagged Kosheen molds something sophisticated and complex and their hypnotic break beats took their native U.K. by storm at the close of the '90s. Fronted by Welsh-born singer/songwriter Sian Evans and Bristol dance natives Darren Decoder and Markee Substance, Kosheen's meeting arrived in 1998. Evans was invited by Decoder and Substance to lay down some guest vocals and something clicked. A unit had been solidified and Kosheen immediately began work on their hip-hop/soul-driven sound. The debut single "Hide U" grabbed hold of the dance circuit in mid-2001, later earning Kosheen honors for Best Single at the Drum & Bass Awards in the U.K. BBC Radio 1 raved about it non-stop and trance guru John Digweed was already spinning Kosheen tracks such as "(Slip & Slide) Suicide" and "Catch" into his club sets. Already poised to take over electronica's ever-changing world, Kosheen's debut album, Resist, was issued in their native land in the fall of 2001."

A bargain at £5.00, yes a fiver, from FOPP records.

I seem to be buying more and more of this music - Röyksopp (Melody A.M), Rob Dougan (Furious Angels), Jakatta (Visions) - will I find myself holidaying in Ibiza or Aya Napa with a fist full of chemical glow sticks dancing the night away?
I hope not, my back wouldn't last the first dance!!!!!!

Anonymous
19-Jan-03, 17:03
These are the most recent acquisitions...oh and anything by Van Morrison is played regularly. Speaking of Van, I'm glad you have discovered "the Man", Lady K. And it sounds like Squidge and I have something in common. I've been a fan of Van's for more years than I care to remember. One of my goals is to get all his albums on vinyl and CD. I think I need three CDs to achieve this. He's an exceptiopnal talent.

Peter
Melbourne, Australia.

Yes, I always did rather like Van "The Man's" music, Peter. I guess I've just started to appreciate him even more now, though! :)

This past week, I've been listening to some more music on the mellow side. Firstly, my recent acquisition of the soundtrack to "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron", the animated movie. It consists of songs sung by Bryan Adams, written specially for the movie, and wonderful orchestral pieces by composer Hans Zimmer. Track 6, "Don't Let Go" is a lovely duet with Bryan Adams and fellow Canadian, Sarah McLachlan. Sarah is one of my favourite female singers, and her beautiful voice sounds quite ethereal in this song. I highly recommend this soundtrack, even if like me, you have not yet seen the movie. If you are a fan of Bryan Adams, you won't be disappointed! :D

This in turn inspired me to listen to my three Sarah McLachlan CDs, which I hadn't listened to for ages! I first got turned on to her music in 1997, when I bought her "Surfacing" album, released that same year. I enjoyed it so much, that I bought two of her previous albums, a short time later! These consist of her 1989 debut, "Touch", and 1993's "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy". They are all excellent, but to a first time buyer of Sarah's works, I would recommend "Surfacing". I think her music would appeal to anyone who enjoys the music of Enya, Clannad, the Corrs, and the Cranberries. :cool:

Eve M
28-Jan-03, 22:12
Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get through this

Pink - Missundaztood

Avril Lavigne - Let go

Darius - Dive in

They're all really good, easy listening kinda stuff

©Amethyst
28-Jan-03, 22:19
Pink - Missundaztood
Big Idea - Silly Songs With Larry (Go larry!!! lol)
aaaaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd...
Bond - Shine

Sigh - there's so much cool music out there at the moment!

Oh, and I just CAN'T forget Weathered by Creed!!!!

©Amethyst
28-Jan-03, 22:35
That's it! Temptation is just too strong!!!

I'm gonna post the lyrics to my fave song on "Silly Songs With Larry"... It's called "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" - too funny... they've all got American accents - and considering they're all vegetables, they're too cute!

Narrator: "Joining Larry are Pa Grape and Mr. Lunt, who together make up
the infamous gang of scalliwags, the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!"
Larry, Pa, Mr. Lunt: "We are the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just
stay home and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just
tell you ..."
Larry: "We don't do anything!"
Pa: "Well, I've never been Greenland and I've never been to Denver, and
I've never buried treasure in St. Louis or St. Paul, and I've never been
to Moscow and I've never been to Tampa, and I've never been to Boston in
the fall."
All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just stay home
and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you
.."
Mr. Lunt: "We don't do anything. And I never hoist the mainstay and I
never swab the poop deck, and I never veer to starboard 'cuz I never
sail at all, and I've never walked the gang plank and I've never owned a
parrot, and I've never been to Boston in the fall."
All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! We just stay at home
and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you
.. We don't do anything!"
Larry: "Well, I've never plucked a rooster and I'm not too good at
ping-pong, and I've never thrown my mashed potatoes up against the wall,
and I've never kissed a chipmunk and I've never gotten head lice, and
I've never been to Boston in the fall!"
Pa: "Huh? What are you talking about? What's a rooster and mashed
potatoes have to do with being a pirate??"
Mr. Lunt: "Hey, that's right! We're supposed to sing about pirate-y
things!"
Larry: "Oh ..."
Pa: "And who ever kissed a chipmunk? That's just nonsense! Why even
bring it up? Am I right? What do you think?"
Mr. Lunt: "I think you look like Cap'n Crunch!"
Pa: "Huh? No I don't!"
Mr. Lunt: "Do too."
Pa: "Do not!"
Mr. Lunt: "You're making me hungry."
Pa: "That's it, you're walkin' the plank!"
Mr. Lunt: "Says who?"
Pa: "Says the captain, that's who!"
Mr. Lunt: "Oh, yeah? Aye aye, Cap'n Crunch!"
Larry: "And I've never licked a spark plug and I've never sniffed a
stink bug, and I've never painted daisies on a big red rubber ball, and
I've never bathed in yogurt and I don't look good in leggings ..."
Pa: "You just don't get it!"
All: "And we've never been to Boston in the fall!"

By the way... Mr. Lunt has a Mexican accent, and Pa is a grape from New York! Hehe! Then they go on to argue about what's on the TV... hehe - I think it's cute! I honestly don't blame my little sister of wanting this CD... but it's too addictive (not to mention silly)!

MadPict
29-Jan-03, 01:40
©Amethyst,

You almost tempted me to put my Tellytubbies CD on - almost but not quite!!

But I will go with Creed and "Weathered" :lol:

sassylass
29-Jan-03, 07:57
I heard Santana's Black Magic Woman on the radio
..... I sang it all day long and then it followed me into my dreams....man alive what a fantaaaaastic song!

©Amethyst
30-Jan-03, 01:10
Thankfully there's one CD i am pleased to say I DON'T own, MadPict!!!

"You Look Like Cap'n Crunch!"

MadPict
05-Feb-03, 18:35
My latest 'Spinnee' is "in absentia" by Porcupine Tree. Prog Rock lives!!!!
An excellent album - I'd never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago but the keyboard player is Richard Barbieri, previously in 'Japan'.
If you like your music a bit grand then give this a spin.....

Anonymous
05-Feb-03, 19:39
And for all you opera buffs who missed my URL for Mario Frangoulis, on the original WAYS thread, here it is again!

http://www.mariofrangoulis.com/splash-f.html

There are some music clips from his "Sometimes I Dream" album on there. I'm definitely going to buy that CD, as soon as I can get my hands on it! I liked what I heard, and especially love his "Nights in White Satin/Notte Di Luce" sung in Italian! Sent shivers down my spine! :eek:
Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues sings the last verse in English. Thanks for telling me about this version of the song, Loafer! :D For those of you who are fans of Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban, you will really appreciate the amazing voice of Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis! :cool:

I'm happy to say I was able to get my hot little hands on Mario Frangoulis last week! ( His CD, that is! [lol] )

I also bought Andrea Bocelli's "Sentimento" album, which is brilliant too! :D Thanks for recommending it, Loafer! I love all of the songs, and the accompaniments by violinist Lorin Maazel are superb. As Mr Maazel himself points out, the sound of his Stradivarius is quite sensuous and seductive, at times! The whole album is very romantic, and some of the songs are well known numbers I was familiar with.

As for the "Sometimes I Dream" album by Greek tenor Mario Frangoulis, it is absolutely wonderful, and I think I like his voice even more than Andrea Bocelli's, and Josh Groban's! :cool: Mario's voice seems the most expressive and versatile of all. He sings softly and tenderly at times, and passionately and powerfully at others. Tall, dark and good looking, I found him rather charismatic in the music video on his enhanced CD. That video can be viewed by clicking on the URL above, quoted from my earlier posting. He is singing "Vincero, Perdero" at an outdoor theatre in Greece, and this is the first song on the CD. My next goal is to purchase the DVD, which covers the concert in it's entirety! :D

monkey
06-Feb-03, 06:34
Was havin' an ould rocker's day today... kinda like yesterday, and the day before, and the day before.

Phil Collins, ELO, Pink Floyd yada yada
Y'know... I think my music picker stopped about 1980. I just don't buy much if it's after that. P'raps that's when music stopped, and rap started. :eek:

Ooooh, was that not a PC comment?

DrSzin
17-Feb-03, 15:41
Hey Mr M, that sounds kinda like my typical day too. I went through a period a few weeks ago when I played nothing but Pink Floyd and Led Zep. Before that it was the Stones and Jethro Tull.

But today is a little more high fallutin'. Right now I am listening to Tosca with Maria Callas in the title role. I'm not too fond of most romantic music, but give me an Italian aria and I'm anyone's. Callas' "Vissi d'arte" is truly amazing. It's playing right now and I'm floatin' across the room. Mmmmmmm..........

MadPict
23-Feb-03, 15:26
Well, as we seem to be reliving our hazy crazy days, Peter Gabriel has at long last been added to my CD collection. I was browsing the £5 specials in FOPP today and there were Peter Gabriel 1,2,3,4,So,Us all for a fiver each!!

For years now I have resisted buying these on CD to replace my cassette versions, feeling that £15.99 a bit high a price to pay for these classics. They never seem to be discounted at any record shop I looked, so in the end I gave up looking.

But today I scooped up 1-4 on CD, forgetting I also had "So" on cassette, so a return trip will be in order to finish the 'set'!!!

FOPP Records really does do some excellent deals. I mean £5 for a CD, probably the true value of them, not the hyper inflated ripoff that we are paying.

Anonymous
05-Mar-03, 11:52
Whilst in England last month, I bought a CD at ASDA on special offer for 4.97 pounds, normally retailing at 11.99 pounds. It's Lulu's "Together" album, released last year. It consists of 14 tracks of her duetting with other well known artists, some older than her, some a lot younger. I admit that I bought it mainly for her duet with Ronan Keating, "We've Got Tonight", which I think is lovely. I always did like that song, which Kenny Rogers sang with Dolly Parton, then later with Sheena Easton. But the whole album is great -- the more I listen to it, the more I like it!

My other favourite tracks on the album are:

SAIL ON SAILOR with STING. Originally sung by the Beach Boys.

BACK AT ONE with WESTLIFE. Originally sung by Brian McKnight.

NOW THAT THE MAGIC HAS GONE with JOE COCKER. I like this even more than Joe's original solo version!

WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN with MARTI PELLOW, formerly of Wet, Wet, Wet. This song was a hit for Billy Preston and Syreeta in 1980, and it always did send shivers down my spine. Lulu and Marti do equal, if not more justice to this beautiful song. Marti Pellow is one of my favourite male singers, and it's wonderful to hear these two Scots duetting together. Lulu's voice is really at it's best here!

Also, her duet with opera singer RUSSELL WATSON is really starting to grow on me! At first it seemed strange hearing Lulu singing "The Prayer", after being more familiar with Celine Dion's version with Andrea Bocelli, then Charlotte Church's with Josh Groban. But Lulu has proved she can sing in opera style quite admirably, with this song. Well done, Lulu! :cool:

MadPict
07-Mar-03, 17:10
"Everyday" by Cinematic Orchestra.

Trip-Hop/Electronica/Dance/Jazz

Grrrrrroovy..................

George Brims
07-Mar-03, 20:17
Right now (and for the last 48 hours almost non-stop) Greatest Hits by Sandy Denny, from the 20th Century Masters series. Just fabulous. When she quit the band Fotheringay, they advertised for a replacement with "the voice of an angel". That pretty much sums her up, though she was also a suberb songwriter.

Anonymous
12-Mar-03, 15:41
Well, I've been giving Lionel Richie a few spins, over the past couple of days!
I've been a long time fan of Lionel's -- I just love his smoochie ballads, and his upbeat numbers that make ya want to get up and dance! :D

My most recent acquisition is "Lionel Richie - The Definitive Collection", just released last month. I bought the limited edition, which includes a free bonus disc. All five tracks on that are great, and includes the extremely romantic hit "Oh No", sung with the Commodores, and his version of "Lady", which he wrote, and was a number one hit for Kenny Rogers. That's also a favourite of mine -- it's such a beautiful song! Another with the Commodores is "Brick House", a terrific pure funk number, reminiscent of the Average White Band and Cameo.

As for the main disc, that contains 18 previously released songs, plus two new ones, including a duet with Enrique Iglesias. Even if you already have Lionels' "Back to Front" album, his 1992 collection of greatest hits, it's still worth buying this newly released "Definitive Collection". Among the 18 hits, there are 6 big hits which are not included on "Back to Front".

I've also been listening to Lionel's "Renaissance" album, which was released in 2000. This 12 track CD is a good mix of ballads and upbeat numbers, and proves that Lionel's talents are just as good, if not better, than before! All the tracks are absolutely wonderful, and of note are "Angel", and the Latin influenced "Cinderella" and "Dance The Night Away". :cool:

MadPict
15-Mar-03, 00:50
My latest find is Amor - the album "Amor" and "Even After That" are probably the finest example of UK blues I've heard for a while. Reminiscent of Stevie Ray Vaughan and BB King, this is rock blended with blues, some funk mixed in for good measure and some slick guitar work to top it off.
Jon Amor used to play with Hoax, a top blues band which I never heard, but this is making up for my ignorance!
If you like your blues with a bit of an edge then give this a listen.

www.amor.uk.com has samples you can listen to.

Anonymous
15-Mar-03, 09:32
Wow!!! I've just listened to all those music samples, MadPict, and that band is AWESOME! :D

They remind me of Cream, as well as Stevie Ray Vaughan. This is definitely my kinda music, and it won't be long before I purchase at least one of Amor's albums! Thanks so much for letting us know about them, MadPict ! :cool:

MadPict
15-Mar-03, 13:06
It is rather good - I found myself dusting off my air guitar last night!!!

Anonymous
15-Mar-03, 14:33
Then when you played your air guitar, MadPict, I trust you weren't doing it windmill style. Am I right? ;)

Anonymous
20-Mar-03, 19:53
I am now a fan of the phenomenal Russell Watson, after hearing his first two albums, "The Voice" and "Encore". His magnificent tenor voice is along the lines of Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras, yet his pop voice is entirely different, along the lines of 80s love balladeer Richard Marx, perhaps. I had first heard Russell's opera voice about a year ago, and was impressed. Then later on, I heard some of his pop songs on the radio, and thought he sounded terrific, not realising I was listening to the same guy!

Russell is 29, and from Salford, Manchester. He started off as a factory worker by day, singing in clubs by night. Originally, he sang in the pop vein only, then a club owner asked him to sing "Nessun Dorma", and shortly after that, his career really took off! He was signed on by the Decca record company, and released his first album, "The Voice", in September 2000. That was followed by "Encore" in October 2001, and "Reprise" in November 2002.

I have his first two albums, so far, and would probably recommend "Encore" the most, because about half of the 16 tracks are opera arias, and the other half wonderful pop songs. With this album, you get to hear both of Russell's entirely different voices. Fans of Queen's late Freddie Mercury will be astounded by Russell's version of "Bohemian Rhapsody". I didn't think anyone could rival Freddie, till I heard this! :cool:

Anyway, check Russell out for yourself on:

http:// www.russellwatson.com

You will find music samples from all three of his albums on there, and a music video of him singing "Is Nothing Sacred". That's another song I love to hear in Russell's pop voice! :D

Anonymous
21-Mar-03, 15:33
I was just looking at Russell's official website ( listed above) again, and realised that I had mistakenly said there are music samples from all three of his albums. It turns out that there are only samples from "The Voice" and "Reprise". There is just a track listing from "Encore", and I see that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not included in the UK version, although it is on the US edition. However, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is on the "Reprise" album, which is a UK release.

Another beautiful song Is "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which is on both the UK and US versions of Russell's debut album, "The Voice". You would almost think you were listening to Art Garfunkel, but it's the ever versatile Mr Watson again! Also of note is "Where My Heart Will Take Me", the new theme from Startrek's Enterprise series, sung by Russell. That is included in the "Encore" album, on both sides of the Atlantic. :cool:

Anonymous
25-Mar-03, 15:53
Today I've been spinning two CDs by the late Eva Cassidy, who sadly died of cancer in 1996, when she was merely 33. Several albums have been released since her death, including the ones I have been listening to. Eva's voice will really touch your heart, with it's unaffected purity. Like the late Sandy Denny, who also died before her time, Eva's voice is ethereal yet soulful. She was equally at home singing traditional folk songs, 20th century standards, jazz, blues, pop, soul and Gospel.

"SONGBIRD" is Eva's highly successful 1998 release, which catapulted her to posthumous fame. It has ten tracks, and opens with Eva's hauntingly beautiful version of "Fields of Gold", by Sting. I also especially like "Songbird", which surpasses even Christine McVie's original. Then there is a lovely, soulful version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready", and finally "Over the Rainbow", perhaps Eva's best known work of all. I'm sure even Judy Garland would have been impressed with Eva's lovely rendition of this song!

"TIME AFTER TIME" is also a wonderful album, and was released in 2000. This has twelve tracks, and opens with Eva singing "Kathy's Song" by Paul Simon. I also like Eva's soulful covers of "Ain't No Sunshine" and "The Letter". Then there's the bluesy "At Last, " and a gorgeous version of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock". Also worthy of mention is the album title track, originally sung by Cyndi Lauper.

To find out more, and hear music samples from these albums and others, click on:

http://www.evacassidy.org

I'm sure you will be touched by Eva's beautiful, angelic voice like I was, but saddened by the knowledge that she is no longer on this earth. Her voice truly was a precious gift to us all!

squidge
31-Mar-03, 14:21
Well

Payday today so

The Best of David Bowie 1969/1974

The very best of Carole King

Cheapy cheapy at Woolies!!!!!!!!!!!

sassylass
01-Apr-03, 00:55
I got the bright idea to burn a CD for a happy couple who are getting married...a CD of All Time Greatest Oldies LOVE SONGS. Songs like Unchained Melody, And I Love Her, Only Fools Rush In...that sort of Righteous Brothers/Beatles/Elvis/Aretha Franklin music that makes us swooooon.

Please, I would appreciate your help in song suggestions, as my mind is running on empty these days.

Thank you in advance and if you happen to see my daughter, remember, shhhhhhh it's a secret.

Anonymous
01-Apr-03, 05:34
Sting - Brand New Day
Dido - No Angel
Barenaked Ladies - Stunt
Beautiful South - Best of

Anonymous
01-Apr-03, 15:54
Hi Sassylass,

What a great idea! :)

Here are my suggestions for Greatest Oldies Love Songs:

ENDLESS LOVE - Diana Ross and Lionel Richie

TRULY - Lionel Richie

SAY YOU, SAY ME - Lionel Richie

LOVE IS ALL AROUND - Theme song from "Four Weddings and a Funeral"
- Wet Wet Wet

UP WHERE WE BELONG - Theme song from "An Officer and a Gentleman"
-Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes

WITH YOU I'M BORN AGAIN - Billy Preston and Syreeta

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE - Roberta Flack

TELL HIM - Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand

EVERGREEN - Love theme from "A Star is Born" - Barbra Streisand

NOW AND FOREVER - Richard Marx

GLORY OF LOVE - Peter Cetera

NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN - Moody Blues

I hope these suggestions are helpful! :)

Nigella

Loafer
01-Apr-03, 20:00
Nigella
I am feeling all romantic after that list of your'es!! How about adding "Without You" by Nilsson??

The Loafer

Anonymous
01-Apr-03, 20:33
Oooh yes, Loafer!

That's one of my favourites too!!! :D

Nigella

Loafer
01-Apr-03, 21:32
Nigella
I am getting worse, "You are always on my mind", by Willie Nelson and "Total eclipse of the heart", by Bonnie Tyler. Sob, Sob :( :( :(

George Brims
01-Apr-03, 21:42
Hey wait a minute - "Without you" is hardly appropriate for a CD for a happy couple. However it's a classic so it would have to be first choice for any CD of "getting dumped" songs! Nilsson's own song "Without her" from the first Blood Sweat and Tears album would have to be on there too.

George

PS Sassy - Black Magic Woman by Santana is a cover - it's a Fleetwood Mac song, written by Peter Green. I do love it though.

Anonymous
02-Apr-03, 10:11
Sassylass,

I have some suggestions too, for the Greatest Oldies Love Songs.

"We've Only Just Begun" and "For All We Know" - The Carpenters

"Nobody Loves Me Like You Do" - Duet by Anne Murray and Dave Loggins

"You Needed Me" and "I Just Fall In Love Again" - Anne Murray

"Baby I'm - A Want You" - Bread

Hope you like them! :cool:

Opal

squidge
02-Apr-03, 12:17
Sassylass

I like Fields of gold - Eva Cassidy's version

I also would have We've only just begun - Carpenters

Also Moondance - Van Morrison would be my fave fave fave

As for Georges Dumped CD - I have loads of them

My favs would probably be

Empty Rooms - Gary Moore - fantastic

Love dont live here anymore - I think Rose Royce

No more i love you - Annie lennox i think

Anonymous
02-Apr-03, 13:34
Yes, Squidge, "No More I Love You's" is by Annie Lennox. It's on her "Medusa" album, which I have, and is one of my fave CDs.

Sassylass, I also think "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" is a lovely song, even though the words don't make any sense. A friend of mine had the original Procul Harum version played at her wedding. Annie Lennox also sings it beautifully on her "Medusa" album. Another really dreamy, romantic tune is "Albatross", played by the original Fleetwood Mac, when Peter Green was still with them.

RHN12
02-Apr-03, 23:48
Greetings all,

Last weekend Ann and I attended the Apollo Bay Music Festival (on Victoria's west coast). Three days of great local music (with a sprinkling of overseas acts), food and fun. I came away with three new CDs by some of the artists we caught there:

Collard, Greens and Gravy - "More Gravy". Collard, Greens and Gravy is a three piece band, led by Ian Collard on harmonica, playing "delta" blues. For harmonica, guitar and drums, they sure have a big sound. They lifted the roof off the Great Ocean Hotel. Excellent playing by all of them. They do tour Europe, so if you see their name anywhere and like blues, go see them (check out their web site at collardgreensandgravy.com ).

The Beachniks - "The Many Moods of The Beachniks". The Beachniks is a group of guys who live along the coast and play gigs in the area (not much good to you in Scotland). They are a great reggae/funk/dub band with a hint of jazz.

Tiffany Echkardt - "Nino's Cafe". Tiffany is a marvellous singer/song writer. A couple of her songs brought tears to more than one eye in the house. She played guitar and was backed by Dave Steel on all sorts of guitars, mandolins and other stringed instruments, Sandy Davey on acoustic, upright bass and John Beddegood on violin and accordian.

Three excellent CDs. Pity it's unlikely any you will get to hear them. You could try the Black Market Music ( blackmarketmusic.com.au ) web site and listen to some samples...

Peter F.
Melbourne, Australia.

monkey
03-Apr-03, 23:57
Sassy,
"Endless Love" - Lionel Richie
"Time In A Bottle" - Jim Croche
are both popular songs I've sung at weddings

And I remember "I Honestly Love You" - Olivia Newton John - was a heart-wrencher in my early teens.... sniff, where are you, Carol?

sassylass
04-Apr-03, 01:28
I knew I could count on you!

Between these suggestions and the PM's I've gotten, several CDs are in the making. I will keep burning as long as necessary. [lol]

Thank you.

darklighter
04-Apr-03, 12:04
the SENSATIONAL Alex Harvey band-Penthouse tapes/Framed/Live A forgotten Scottish legend

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers -LAMF this is who the sex pistols stole their riffs fae

Paul Gilbert-Burning Organ My personal choice as unviversal sumpreme guitar god.

Jeff Beck beckology a great boxset fae a great geetarist

Datsuns-Datsuns new new zealand rockers

Audioslave -Audioslave excellent ratm/soundgarden mob mixture

Ramones-greatest hits hey ho lets go punk legends ma kids are even singing along to it!!

Anonymous
05-Apr-03, 17:10
Well, I have been in the mood for romantic music today! :) These have been my spinees so far:

MARC ANTHONY - Self titled album from 1999. I think this was his first album sung in English, though two of the songs are also sung in Spanish, towards the end of the album. All highly romantic songs, some ballads, some catchy numbers.

RICHARD MARX GREATEST HITS - Late 90s release from popular 80s romantic balladeer, with superb dreamy voice. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be recording much, these days! :(

LOVE SONGS - Elton John. One of my favourite CDs by cuddly Elton, consisting of romantic numbers culled from some of his earlier albums.

MadPict
07-Apr-03, 11:57
As a follow up to my "Amor" find, I have tracked down "The Hoax".
Just got the "Sound Like This" CD this morning (off ebay) and excellent blues. Hard to believe they are a British band. Just on the strength of the couple of reviews I have read I bought this blind, and I'm not disappointed. I have even successfully bid on "Humdinger" which is supposed to be even better.
I hope I don't get hooked on this ebayitis......

LadyK - although The Hoax disbanded in '99 their CD's seem to still be available in Germany, so have a looksee in your record stores. Think you'd like this.....

Anonymous
07-Apr-03, 13:49
I'm a Celine Dion fan, and bought her latest album a few days ago. It's called ONE HEART, and was released in late March. It's a nice mix of dance numbers, catchy tunes, and gentle ballads. I say "gentle" because they're not so much the power ballads that Celine is famous for. Personally, I like her power ballads too, but for those who don't, these gentler ones might be more pleasant.

The opening track is the catchy dance number "I Drove All Night", which you may have heard in a Chrysler car commercial. The second one, "Love Is All We Need", is another dance number, and one which you'd expect from the likes of Britney Spears. Some tracks even sound rather like Shania Twain material. I don't mean that Celine is trying to copy these ladies, simply that she is trying to diversify a little. I think she has done this very successfully, without losing her own style in the process. This album just proves her versatility, and willingness to change with the times.

Overall, I think this is a terrific album. My only criticism is that two of the songs were also on Celine's 2002 album, A NEW DAY HAS COME. "Have You Ever Been In Love" is the exact same recording, and "Sorry For Love" is a much slowed down version of last year's dance number. In my opinion, the faster version was better!

Anonymous
15-Apr-03, 17:43
I've been listening to the delightful Barbara Dickson, whom I had the privilege of seeing perform at the Thurso folk club in the 70s. A year or two later, she was on Top Of The Pops singing her Top 10 entry "Answer Me".

I have recently acquired her double album "For The Record / In Concert", which came out in 2001. Both discs are superb! The first consists of 19 studio recordings, the second of 16 "live" concert tracks. There's a bit of traditional, pop and musical show songs on both. In her cover of Bob Dylan's "Blowing In The Wind", background vocals are provided by fellow Scot, Gerry Rafferty (Of "Baker Street" fame).

One thing's for sure -- Ms. Dickson's talents have not diminished with age, and this album is sheer pleasure to listen to!

Anonymous
16-Apr-03, 18:41
Gosh, Prince Charming, I saw Barbara Dickson perform at the Thurso folk club in the 70s, too! Perhaps you and I were there at the same time! :cool:

I checked on Amazon UK, and found the double CD you mentioned there. I recognise quite a few of the songs, but alas, no music samples are available! :( Seems like a reasonable price for a double album, though.

Anonymous
16-Apr-03, 22:56
Today I've been listening to "The Best Of Gerry Rafferty" and "Texas -- The Greatest Hits". (Thanks for mentioning Gerry in your posting above, Prince Charming -- I hadn't played that CD in ages!)

In my opinion, Mr Rafferty and the band Texas are among some of Scotland's most talented pop musicians.

Anonymous
22-Apr-03, 14:25
Today, I've been giving spin to THE LOOK OF LOVE by jazz singer/pianist DIANA KRALL. This is a sensual collection of ballads and bossa novas, and it's so relaxing to listen to! The whole tone of the album is smooth and slinky, as Diana sings 20th century standards in her smoky, sultry voice. The London Symphony Orchestra adds lushness to the instrumentals of Diana and her quartet, and I highly recommend this album to those who love jazz and sensual, romantic music. :cool:

Anonymous
26-Apr-03, 18:59
My latest buy is John Mayer's "Room For Squares". I like his nice, soft voice, and first noticed him last year, when I saw his music video "Your Body Is A Wonderland", on MTV. I really like that song, which is on this album. I was delighted to find that most of the other songs on the album are just as good, if not better. I also like John's guitar playing, and the lyrics of these upbeat, light pop songs. Some people have compared this 25 year old's voice to that of Dave Matthews, and I guess there is some similarity there. But I would not call John a "copycat" performer -- he's definitely a talent in his own right!

MadPict
26-Apr-03, 23:21
Funnily enough a friend has been raving about John Mayer lately - I visit her next month so I'll find out I suppose!

I heard a track last week on the Bob Harris show by a band called Yat Kha - very unusual "world music" I suppose it would be classed as. Hopefully find out a bit more about their latest album before I buy it!
http://www.yat-kha.com/

Anonymous
27-Apr-03, 21:21
MadPict, let me know what you think, after you've heard John Mayer. With you being a Dave Matthews fan, I'm curious to know if you detect a similarity between their voices. I was also impressed with John's live performance on a TV programme, and part of a concert of his that was shown on MTV.

Anonymous
30-Apr-03, 10:04
Right now I'm listening to "GOTTA GET THRU THIS" by DANIEL BEDINGFIELD. The track that really enticed me to buy this album is "If You're Not The One", which is such a dreamy, romantic ballad! :cool: There are another couple of nice ballads on there too, but most of the twelve tracks are uptempo dance numbers. Daniel seems equally at home singing both the fast and slow songs. I'm enjoying this 2002 album immensely, and look forward to hearing more from this talented young artist! :)

Anonymous
03-May-03, 15:48
My latest buy is John Mayer's "Room For Squares". I like his nice, soft voice, and first noticed him last year, when I saw his music video "Your Body Is A Wonderland", on MTV. I really like that song, which is on this album. I was delighted to find that most of the other songs on the album are just as good, if not better. I also like John's guitar playing, and the lyrics of these upbeat, light pop songs. Some people have compared this 25 year old's voice to that of Dave Matthews, and I guess there is some similarity there. But I would not call John a "copycat" performer -- he's definitely a talent in his own right!
Now I'm listening to John's earlier album, "Inside Wants Out", which was his independent release in 1999. Four of the eight songs are also on "Room For Squares", which has thirteen tracks, and was released in 2001. The earlier recordings are still worth listening to, as they sound rather like an "unplugged" version of those on the newer album. "Inside Wants Out" also has four other noteworthy songs, all testimony to John's charismatic voice and guitar skills. I'm hooked on him already! :cool:

Anonymous
04-May-03, 16:07
I have recently discovered just how cool COLDPLAY are, and I'm playing their CD "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD". They deservedly won a Grammy for this, as "Best Alternative Music Album", at the 45th Grammy Awards Ceremony, in February.

At times they remind me somewhat of Pink Floyd, especially with the opening song, "Politik", and the title track. I love all eleven songs, but some of my other fave's are "In My Place", "Clocks", "Green Eyes" and "A Whisper". The whole album is very addictive, in fact! :D

squidge
04-May-03, 18:11
I bought the best of Neil Diamond this week

So yesterday i did my housework singing along to cracklin rosie, song sung blue, america, beautiful noise, forever in blue jeans and many more.

This is the music of my childhood because my mum and dad were...still are ....huge Neil Diamond fans so this music permeates most of my memories of home - happy memories for sure

MadPict
04-May-03, 21:06
I have recently discovered just how cool COLDPLAY are, and I'm playing their CD "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD". They deservedly won a Grammy for this, as "Best Alternative Music Album", at the 45th Grammy Awards Ceremony, in February.

At times they remind me somewhat of Pink Floyd, especially with the opening track, "Politik". I love all eleven songs, but some of my other fave's are "In My Place", "Clocks", "Green Eyes" and "A Whisper". The whole album is very addictive, in fact! :D

"Rush of blood" was a big disappointment IMHO - "Parachutes" was an excellent debut and a hard album to follow. "Rush..." just drones on and on and on and on and on..... with the exception of one or two tracks which lift the drone slightly.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/bumpersticker/battle_maturity.gif

Anonymous
05-May-03, 22:09
Gosh, I must admit I'm surprised by your opinion of "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD", MadPict! :confused I find several of the songs really catchy, although I admit it took a few listens for some of the others to "grow" on me. But I really do enjoy the whole album! :D

I haven't heard "PARACHUTES", but will listen to music clips to see what I think of that. I have found that Best Buy tends to have clips from all tracks on an album, whereas Amazon only has a few. Here is the URL -- http://www.bestbuy.com

Anonymous
06-May-03, 00:57
I bought the best of Neil Diamond this week

So yesterday i did my housework singing along to cracklin rosie, song sung blue, america, beautiful noise, forever in blue jeans and many more.

This is the music of my childhood because my mum and dad were...still are ....huge Neil Diamond fans so this music permeates most of my memories of home - happy memories for sure
That's probably the album I have as well, Squidge! :D "Neil Diamond - The Greatest Hits 1966 - 1992". It's a terrific two disc set! I also have "Hot August Night", another double CD, which I had on cassette way back in the early 70s, when it was first released. It's one of my favourite concert performances -- "Live from the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles". That album really got me hooked on Neil Diamond at the time -- I just loved his rich sounding voice, and wish there had been a video made of that particular concert. :cool:

Anonymous
09-May-03, 13:25
Currently, I'm spinning SLICKER THAN YOUR AVERAGE by CRAIG DAVID, which is his second album. It's somewhat different from his brilliant debut album BORN TO DO IT, but it's still very enjoyable. His first album had more romantic themed songs in it, but this is definitely worth buying if you like Craig David, as I do! The songs are very catchy, and make ya wanna get up and dance! :D

My favourite song is RISE & FALL, featuring STING. It's a superb blend of their two voices together, and it works very well. :cool:

Other fave's are FAST CARS, HIDDEN AGENDA, HANDS UP IN THE AIR, SPANISH, WHAT'S CHANGED and WORLD FILLED WITH LOVE.

Kopernicus
10-May-03, 01:27
Woohoo! My first post even though I've been checking out this site for years.

Getting ready for a trip to Thailand tomorrow and I've got got Queen playing full blast..Haven't got the neighbours at the door yet :-) Somebody to Love is a masterpiece!

Kop.

Anonymous
11-May-03, 12:31
Yes, it certainly is, Kopernicus! :D

Cinders and I are great fans of Queen, and bought "The Platinum Collection" a few months ago. It's a three CD set comprising of Queen's Greatest Hits, volumes I, II and III. Absolutely brilliant! :D

Anonymous
16-May-03, 15:09
My latest spinee is "Come Away With Me " by Nora Jones. It's such a soothing, relaxing album, and Nora has such a pleasant soft voice! :)

Anonymous
18-May-03, 14:02
It took a while for DAVID GRAY to "grow" on me, but now I finally see the light with his latest album, "A NEW DAY AT MIDNIGHT". I succumed and bought it last week, after listening to all the tracks in the music shop. All of these songs are catchy, and the opener, "Dead In The Water" hooks you right in!

Music clips from every song can be heard on :

http://www.bestbuy.com

I can also see why people have compared Welsh singer/song writer David to Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. He has definitely been influenced by them, yet he still has a style of his own.

moonlightshadow
19-May-03, 11:29
Right now I am listening to a band called the Hamsters, they are brill, I have also been listening to
Satus Quo- Heavy Traffic,
Gary Moore-Out in The Fields
Geordie Jack-Scotch on the Rocks
and last but by no means least
Steve Earle-Coperhead Road

Check out the hamsters web site and listen to some of their music by going to their album page and there are some tracks you can listen to.

http://www.thehamsters.co.uk

All the best
Linda :o)

RHN12
22-May-03, 00:06
Greetings all, from "the land of Oz".

Latest acquisition is "Beneath This Gruff Exterior" by John Hiatt and The Goners. A bit "rockier" than his recent releases, but never-the-less, a good album. Hiatt has to be one of the most under-rated musician around. He is a prolific song writer and has been churning out records/CDs since the 70s. You'd probably be familiar with his work as his songs are recorded/released by many contemporary artists. If you haven't had the pleasure, have a listen to some of his stuff, particularly, "The Tiki Bar Is Open", "Stolen Moments" (my favourite) and for something of his which is a little different, "Crossing Muddy Waters".

Bye for now.

MadPict
23-May-03, 04:20
@Peter - good title for an album! Do you think he's been reading my sig block??

Latest listening for me is Audioslave - 3 of the 4 band members were in Rage Against The Machine, so not for the faint hearted!!

If you're wondering about the lateness of the hour, it's cos I'm in Florida!!!!!

SSI
23-May-03, 14:35
I was at Radiohead live in Edinburgh on Wednesday :D

An incredible experience

RHN12
25-May-03, 23:19
@Peter - good title for an album! Do you think he's been reading my sig block??

Could be MadPict, could be.

MadPict
04-Jun-03, 05:29
My fondness for the Dave matthews Band is well known here but I caught the Dave Matthews Cover Band the other day - an excellent set it was too. Shame I'll not get to see the real deal this time round.

Latest spinners - Life House "Stanley Climbfall" and believe it or not Lisa Marie Presley! (OK, not mine but friend is playing it quite a bit!!)

Nat
06-Jun-03, 08:09
I walked past a friends door in college this morning and she was playing Ronan. It immediately reminded me of home, when I used to work at Houston's in Wick. That used to always be playing at that place. Take a walk by and tell me whether they still do. Brings back good memories, and it's an excellent CD. Makes me a bit home-sick though. :~( Heal Me, Only For You and When the World Was Mine are my favourites.

MadPict
29-Jun-03, 18:42
Steely Dan - "Everything Must Go" - a return to the finger popping foot tapping days of the past. Some good songs, some may take a play or two to grow, but a more listenable album at first spin than "Two Against Nature"

Also on the Picts Player is Evanescence - "Fallen" - well Mrs Picts really but some good grungy angsty songs with the odd ballad thrown in!!

RHN12
01-Jul-03, 22:57
Coincidentally, MadPict, I have Steely Dan's "Gaucho" here with me. Others on the my desk to listen to over the next day or two are:

"Pulp Surfin' " - Various Artisis (a comp. of 60s and 70s surf music)
"Leap of Faith" - Tiffany Eckhardt
"Daybreaker" - Beth Orton
"Love Deluxe" - Sade
"Hymns to the Silence" - Van Morrison
"Brainwashed" - George Harrison

George Brims
02-Jul-03, 17:49
Been listening to the latest Radiohead - first thing I've had of theirs (Fathers Day present). Not bad.

System of a Down - Toxicity - strange Lebanese-American left-wing hard rock. Love it.

Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo. That woman is a goddess.

There should be a law against anything or anyone being as bland as John Mayer.

RHN12
02-Jul-03, 22:17
Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo. That woman is a goddess.

Have to agree, George. Such a prolific song writer for so menay years and a voice that could sing anything. I particularly like her "Taming the Tiger" and "Night Ride Home" albums. Not to mention "Blue", "Hits", Misses", "Both Sides Now", "Shadows and Light", "Wild Things Run Fast"......

2little2late
04-Jul-03, 23:18
Just thought i'd do my bit by keeping this on the front page. I quite often listen to my Best of the 70's cd's. Glam rock was excellent. No other music era like it, and there never will be. My fave' group of the 70's was The Sweet. Absolutely brill. At least all the glam rock bands were are as good as each other and the top 40 was as competetive as it has ever been. Unlike today where a so called band has to only sell about 10 records to get to number one.

Coxy
06-Jul-03, 22:41
At the moment i"m spinning

Flock of Seagulls-I Ran

The Eagles-Witchy Woman

Madonna-Dress You Up

Lighthouse Family-Lifted

The Guess Who-American Woman

Cathy Connor-Lets Pretend

MadPict
11-Jul-03, 21:44
Four new shiny discs a spinnin' on me deck -
Foo Fighters - One By One
Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis - Panthalassa (the music of miles davis 1969-1974)

Kings Of Leon is "The best debut album of the last 10 years" - NME 9/10 . I caught them on Jools Holland a few weeks back, and thought they were rather good.
(Sadly their album features Copyright Control so will not play on most PC's or Macs - you can play it on your PC, using the provided software player on the CD, but it is at such a degraded sound quality its not worth it. But with a little help from some Post It notes, Sellotape and a craft knife I have circumvented the security measures. Thanks 3M) ;)

The Miles Davis was recommended to me and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised - very listenable albums and not what I thought.

Edna
12-Jul-03, 21:31
I was spinning some golden oldies :

Osbert - Shoot The Swifts
Chic - Le Freak
Chakka Khan - Shake My Duff
The Barbecue's - Burn My BuffBurgers
ZZ Top - She's Got Legs
Boney M - Rasputin

I feel the eighties had some of the best music out. Does anyone agree.

2little2late
19-Jul-03, 21:27
Today me and my 6 year old son were spinnin'

Eddie Rabbitt, Running with the wind.

Steve Earl, Hillbilly highway.

My son's two favourite songs.

RHN12
25-Aug-03, 23:00
Greetings all!

Has anyone heard Neil Young's new CD, "Greendale", yet? I caught one track on the radio on Saturday. It sounded pretty good and I was just interested in what the rest of the disc was like. Maybe I should just go and buy it. But, if anyone's heard the whole thing (at this early stage), what did you think?

dpw39
26-Aug-03, 19:08
"Music soothes the savage beast"

Start your day off right with certain songs/melodies, and you will find yourself in a better frame of mind...

I'm into Dire Straights (all their old stuff), Walk of Life, Brother in Arms etc etc.

Enya, when I'm chillin out or driving round the Highlands and still enjoying some of the counties fabulous views.

The Corrs, for sentimental reasons, especially, "What can I do to make you to make you love me", a sentimental Sad old manny as I am :roll:

The 1812 overture for when I do the ironing, but it must be with real cannons...

Isio Tomita (!) "snowflakes are dancing" by De bussey done on moog synthesisers (circa 1975).

Pink Floyd's The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon :evil , MAGIC STUFF

Chris de Burgh, especially Lady in red, always pulls at the old heart strings.

Holst's The Planets, very thought provoking especially in 2001 Space Odessy.

Lighthouse Family, Whatever gets you through the day :) .

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

RHN12
26-Aug-03, 23:28
"Music soothes the savage beast"

Enya, when I'm chillin out or driving round the Highlands and still enjoying some of the counties fabulous views.

The 1812 overture for when I do the ironing, but it must be with real cannons...

I reckon Enya would sound good while cruisin' 'round the Highlands and, I have a couple of ironing songs, also. They are "Dream Gerard" by Traffic from their album "When The Eagle Flies" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from Pink Floyd's "The Delicate Sound Of Thunder". As with the 1812 Overture, they need to be played LOUD. Seems to lessen the pain of doing the ironing...

dpw39
27-Aug-03, 00:57
I said I was a sad old manny :roll: , I find ironing very therapeutic [lol] , and the 1812 and even Elgar’s March (!) epitomises that “Ooomph” / “whatever it is :eek: ” that prompts nostalgia and pride :lol: when one hears a certain piece of music, hence the initial quote “ music soothes the savage beast” :evil .

Shine on you crazy diamond, definitely one of the clasics, takes me back to my Santana days, Jimmy Hendrix :eek: , way to go Dude :o) .

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

Mr Sensitive
27-Aug-03, 15:42
Hey Dudes, what IS this? Teanabowla mannies trade Music to iron to? Surely ironing's still ladies' work in REAL toons lek Wick. Innit? Lek?

PLEASE tell me it is. PLEASE!

Jeid
27-Aug-03, 18:30
hrm, i'm currently listening to

Norma Jean (metal core band)
Converge (metal core band)
Boy Sets Fire (Post Hardcore band)
Funeral For A Friend (Post Hardcore mixed with Metal)
Goldfinger (Ska Pop Punk)
Thrice (rock/metal band)
The Movielife (Punk band)

and many more

Mr Sensitive
27-Aug-03, 19:35
Hmm, s'pose I should say what I'm spinnin' before I get vilified for stirring up old done & dusted intertown rivalries.

Clapton "Time Pieces". Very much a seventies "Best of" collection. You know "Layla", "Wonderful Tonight", and all that stuff. Not ground breaking listening wise, but great classics nonetheless.

Beatles "Beatles 1" (an album of number ones). A sixties "Best of" this time, but it doesn't have "Strawberry Fields". How can they do that? Lennon must be turning in his grave.

The Corrs "Greatest Hits". Nice but they all sound the same after a few tracks. Sorry, Dave the Ironer.

Heard Coldplay for the first time in donkeys when I was having coffee in a shopping mall this morning. Will dig out the album later, forget what it's called.

Heard something on the radio this morning about the World Air Guitar Championships. Seems it's on in Finland right now. Can you imagine? Have you domestics tried air ironing? Can you no' just imagine Aerosmith:

Backstage we're havin' the time
of our life until somebody say
Forgive me if I seem out of line
Then she whipped out her iron and tried to iron me away!

That, that dude irons like a lady

Oo, what a funky lady
Oo, she like it, like it, like it, like that.
Oo he was a lady!

Maybe Thurso could hold the inaugural Air Ironing Championships next year? Heblix, are ye still there mate?

RHN12
27-Aug-03, 22:39
Hey Dudes, what IS this? Teanabowla mannies trade Music to iron to? Surely ironing's still ladies' work in REAL toons lek Wick. Innit? Lek?

PLEASE tell me it is. PLEASE!

One of my contributions to running the household, Mr. Sensitive :o) . Most of the stuff to iron is mine, anyway (shirts for work etc. :( ), so it's only fair. Besides, it gives me an excuse to crank up the volume :D

RHN12
27-Aug-03, 22:42
I'm not actually spinning anything at the moment, I'm listening to the radio. Any of you who might be up and about at this time, should logon to www.pbsfm.org.au and listen online. PBS FM is a local, subscriber funded station which plays all sorts of music. Right now, there's some cool reggae/dub on air...

MadPict
30-Aug-03, 20:24
I am reaquainting myself with some 80's music today - I picked up 3 albums by Japan (Tin Drum, Quiet Life and Gentlemen Take Polaroids). These are all albums which I had taped onto cassette many years ago, and due to the introduction of CD's just lay gathering dust along with all my other "stolen music".
But I had picked these albums up several times over the last few months but never got around to buying them.
Until today.
I guess you have to like this stuff to want to hear it, but David Sylvian's vocal style (bit Bryan Ferry-ish) and the wonderful fretless bass work of Mick Karn overlaying the percussion of Richard Barbieri and keyboards of Steve Jansen (and Rob Dean on guitar for two of the albums) are something I never tire of. The lyrical content may not be exactly up to some of the best songs of the decade but they are great sing-a-long-a-songs.
Ah, memories...........................

And right up to date with ..........The Darkness
"Permission To Land" is an excellent album which tips a wink at Glam-rock at it's best!! If you haven't heard this album give it a spin..........

MadPict
15-Sep-03, 19:12
"The Free Story" by Free
"Olias Of Sunhillow" by Jon Anderson

Free have always been a band I enjoyed listening to but believe it or not I have never had one of their albums. So when FOPP Records had The Free Story on the shelves for a fiver I thought "Why not" - and I must say I am enjoying every track.

Jon Anderson's (of Yes fame) first solo album from 1976 is "inspired by the artwork of Roger Dean and the writings of Ver Stanley Alder, Jon Anderson developed an entire story around the idea of an interstellar exodus from Sunhillow, writing this album around the narrative (named for the spaceship's architect, Olias). The idea may seem overly ambitious, but Anderson fills the record with enough magical moments to delight fans of Yes' mystic side." allmusic.com
As a bit of a Yes fan, and already having it on vinyl, I just couldn't resist spending £5 on it.

MadPict
30-Sep-03, 17:05
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Take Them On, On Your Own"

A great rock CD!!!

Porcupine Tree - "Lightbulb Sun" - having listened to "In Absentia" and thought what a great album, I thought I'd try some of their previous stuff. Lightbulb Sun is a bit more mellow than In Absentia but still worth a listen.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminblob.gifMadPict

©Amethyst
30-Sep-03, 23:25
lol, someone mention ironing songs?

My ironing songs are Christina Aguilera's fighter, infatuation, make over, soar, the voice within, i'm ok and singin my song.

Is it considered sad to have ironing music? lol

Mr Sensitive
08-Oct-03, 16:47
Deacon Blue: Our Town - The Greatest Hits.

Prompted by the discussion in other threads, I dug out the CD on Sunday and have been playing it in the car ever since.

Music to iron to? Dinna ken. I dinna iron much masel'.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Oct-03, 15:54
at work so i have to listen to socially responsible cd's on my PC,

at the moment listening to one of SILVER's albums, ( i say albums coz i dont know if they have more than one)you know that old country band from THURSO , magic cd,

but soon as i finish my job as a dounreay dummy i'll get in me car and listen to shania, meatloaf, power ballads, taking back sunday, boy hits car, alice cooper, roxette, paul brandt or reo speedwagon coz thats what in the autochanger spinnin' away the now!!

RHN12
29-Jan-04, 23:18
Greetings all,

This thread's been quiet for months! Anyone got any new music (or old, for that matter) they feel like giving a plug?

On my CD drive today, I'll be spinnin' (in no particular order of preference):

"Who's Next?" - The Who
"curveystrasse" - d.i.g.
"It's My Life, Baby" - Junior Wells (recorded live at Pepper's Lounge in Chicago in 1960, great stuff!)
"Inarticulate Speech of the Heart" - Van Morrison
"Harvest" - Neil Young

My newest acquisition is Van Morrison's "What's Wrong With This Picture?"

Over to you.

Steve and Shaz
30-Jan-04, 14:22
fatboy slim is having a jolly good time in heaven down here at the mo ;) -white stripes,beth orton,aire and mansun all waiting in the box

MadPict
01-Feb-04, 01:48
Gosh, the WAYS thread still has life in it!!

Peter Green Splinter Group "Destiny Road" has been going round and round recently as has Jet "Get Born"

frank ward
01-Feb-04, 21:20
There is a Public Meeting in Wick at 2pm on the afternoon of Saturday 7th February, in Wick Assembly Rooms

The theme is 'Maternity Unit - which way forward?'

The meeting is organised by the Scottish Socialist Party and is an open forum.

The main speakers are JAMIE STONE MSP and CAROLYN LECKIE MSP

Invitations have also been sent to the League of Friends and the Trades Council.

The meeting has been timed at 2pm to allow full participation by those not able to attend midweek meetings.

In view of the weather forcing cancellation of the initial Action Group meeting last week, this is an ideal opportunity for such a group to be launched.

Jamie Stone (LibDems) is already known to many in the area as the local MSP. Carolyn Leckie is one of 6 socialist MSPs elected in May. A midwife, she is the SSP's spokeswoman on Health. As chari of her UNISON branch she saw union membership double and led a successful strike against the multinational Sodexho, winning substantial wage increases for hundreds of low-paid workers.

That such people of widely different political opinions are ready to share a platform on this issue is an indication of the strength of feeling.

I appeal to everyone to attend the meeting, hear suggestions and ideas for action, participate in the discussion.

Thank You

Frank Ward
SSP Caithness & Sutherland Branch
(01862 811233)

Steve and Shaz
01-Feb-04, 22:09
Connie Lush - Blues Shouter - v good - it's the wife's but hey, we can agree sometimes :lol:

MadPict
01-Feb-04, 23:09
Frank,
Wrong thread mate...

Oh, just realised you're SPAMMING all threads in the forums!! Tsk tsk...

http://app100828.applicabroadband.net/images/flaminblob.gif

frank ward
02-Feb-04, 10:40
Yeah sorry mate but as yours was the most-visited thread it was an obvious target for my spammin'.
Won't happen again.

Frank

:evil

Donnie
02-Feb-04, 12:25
Rock n' roll needs a new direction. CKY is the new direction.

jeemag
03-Feb-04, 00:26
Some tracks to help you get through the working day!

'Beautiful Eyes' Rita Lynch
'Bitter Sweet Symphony' The Verve
'Wake Up' Rage Against The Machine
'Wicked World' Black Sabbath
'Confide In Me' Kylie Minogue
'No Me Da Mi Navidad' Molotov
'Walk The Sky' Fuel
'Knives Out' Radiohead
'Golgotha Tenement Blues' Machines of Loving Grace
'How Soon Is Now' Smiths

MadPict
06-Feb-04, 18:33
New Incubus CD "A Crow Left Of The Murder" is today spinnin' away - may upset some hardcore Incubus fans but it seems to be a blend of Morning View/Make Yourself and their earlier stuff.
Initial listening is promising for me, although what do I know... [lol]

After a few listens...
...this is a really good album. There seem to be a few influences in the songs. "Zee Deveel" has overtones of XTC while others, to my ears, have touches of Rush. The sound of Incubus is still there, and all in all a very good album and worth waiting for, and a worthy follow up to Morning View.

5/5

Sandra
10-Feb-04, 22:42
I'm currently spinning Rock Your Body Rock by Ferry Corsten, on 12" (ordered via The Music Shop, which is brilliant).

Loving it. :cool: :o)

kenimac1
10-Feb-04, 23:22
Listened to --
Alvin Lee & Mylon Le Fevre On the road to freedom
Gary Wright Dream Weaver
Bruce Springsteen Nebraska

and reading

R W Chandler Sparks at Sea

RHN12
12-Feb-04, 22:21
Alvin Lee
Gary Wright

Now there's two blasts from the past!

Nothing new in the CD rack, at the moment...well, there is, in that it's new on CD at my place - "Wheels of Fire" by Cream (I've had the record since it was released way back when).

Books on the bedside table at the moment are:

"The Quiet One - A Life of George Harrison" - Alan Clayson
"Lighting The Path" - Dalai Lama

soon to commence:

"Mary, Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley" - Alison Wier
"Shantaram" - Gregory David Roberts

maybe we should start a new thread...

MadPict
21-Feb-04, 20:17
Absolution by Muse - sort of Radiohead-ish - good stuff although at £16.99 a tad expensive!! I paid £12 which is still a bit steep - pays to shop around...

guitarzan
22-Feb-04, 11:51
muse are brilliant, i saw them play hysteria at the brits and it was quality! this week i have been mostly listenin to the new albums from franz ferdinand and snow patrol :)

Sushi XD
27-Feb-04, 09:11
Yay Muse!!

I have.. a random collection of rock/dance/humour tracks from my beloved oDC (file sharing prog)... Prodigy, Lost Prophets, and a few HIM tracks.

chemicalbrutha
27-Feb-04, 19:34
:eek: Just been checking out this website, and getting a laugh [lol] at the crack going on up north. Its been a while since i ventured up north but im glad to see you lot havent fallen by the wayside when it comes to music!! (well almost all of you! :p ) many of my mates down here in edinburgh think the far north is full of bagpipe loving, ceilidh craving cheucters!! But i set them right everytime when i say im from there and i like bands like muse and radiohead or whatever!! i have to agree that Muse are wicked and even more so when theyre live in the secc!! ive seen them and i totally recomend buying t-in the park tickets and making the journey down to see them!! Im spinning on my cd player at the mo stuff like radiohead (hail to the thief), biffy clyro, gold chains, don cabalero :evil , foo fechters!! and for comical value tenacious d!! well folks its been good checking it out and no doubt i'll be back, so until then take it easy. peace+out.......... ;)

Sandra
28-Feb-04, 14:05
I'm listening to the Keane, Somewher Only We Know CD single. What a brilliant song!

Also got Ferry Corsten's album Right of Way in the CD player.

MadPict
30-Apr-04, 17:06
Found a new band - Buchanan - if you ever heard Jeff Buckley before he died or have got one of his very few albums, this band may sound faintly familiar. Jay Buchanan is the singer and his vocal range and style is very similar to Jeff Buckley's.
Their album is "All Understood" and although some of the lyrics have been criticised in a couple of reviews for being slightly wandering, all in all it is a very good album. The sticker on the front declares,

"Exhibiting a style that melds the soul of Jeff Buckley, the craftsmanship of Joni Mitchell, and the raw power of Led Zeppelin, Buchanan have created "the sexiest record of the year"
MEAN STREET MAGAZINE

Some tracks can be heard as MP3's here -
http://www.ultimatummusic.com/buchanan.htm

A followup to the Muse album - I picked up Origin of Symmetry - very good if you like Muse.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict

Anonymous
30-Apr-04, 21:53
Last week end I saw a band the" illegal eagles" live (a tribute band but we will never see the real thing again!) which made me drag out my old eagles tracks.
Still got time for Van the Man - the only one.
Robert Palmer - the late great is also a favourite ;)
Bowie - every track is a best of ;)
Loe Reed - the early stuff with the velvets
Listening to Bob Harris last Sat night on the way home and he played the Fountains of Wayne, maybe for the kids but a good sound.

MadPict
30-Apr-04, 22:06
...Listening to Bob Harris last Sat night on the way home and he played the Fountains of Wayne, maybe for the kids but a good sound.

Re-gull-ar listener to Whisperin' Bob Scorry? :D
I picked up the Buchanan after hearing a track on his show.