PDA

View Full Version : Why? What's the purpose of these holes.

brokencross
26-Jun-07, 20:58
I have recently bought two pairs of trousers and there is something odd about them which I don't understand.

On both pairs, on the front vertical edge of both side pockets, adjacent to the waist band there are "holes" or "slits" about 3cm long. They are purpose made because they have a little stitched hem around them.
If you can imagine standing with your hands in your pockets, the holes are where your thumbs would be, AND if you put your thumbs through you touch your boxers or whatever. Besides using your thumbs to hitch up your boxers I can't think of any other reason why they are there.

Any ideas please, practical and clean would be preferable.

MadPict
26-Jun-07, 21:48
Sound like drainage holes - in clothing worn in wet environments, such as tropical jungle, these allow water to drain out of pockets should you need to wade across rivers etc.
It's just a 'detailing' thing on the current high street fashions - mind you with the rain we've just had it might be more use than before should you find yourself wading out of your local....

George Brims
26-Jun-07, 23:44
Maybe it's for the attachment of straps to support a codpiece? Everything else has come back into fashion, it was only a matter of time...

Ricco
27-Jun-07, 13:55
I've seen them as well. Somewhere to keep the really small change, now that we can't have sporrans?;)

canuck
27-Jun-07, 14:08
I've seen them as well. Somewhere to keep the really small change, now that we can't have sporrans?;)

From brokencross's description I get the impression that these are holes, not simply small pockets as are common on jeans. Those wee pockets are great places to store a memory stick (flash drive) as long as you remember to remove them before doing the wash. But I don't think that is the object of the inquiry.

If they are holes then the change would fall right through. Perhaps you stick your shirt tales in them to hold the shirt in place.

I really have no idea what we are talking about though. A photo would help. And I don't for one second believe MadPict's theory. :)

MadPict
27-Jun-07, 16:30
From brokencross's description I get the impression that these are holes, not simply small pockets as are common on jeans. Those wee pockets are great places to store a memory stick (flash drive) as long as you remember to remove them before doing the wash. But I don't think that is the object of the inquiry.

If they are holes then the change would fall right through. Perhaps you stick your shirt tales in them to hold the shirt in place.

I really have no idea what we are talking about though. A photo would help. And I don't for one second believe MadPict's theory. :)

Don't believe me eh?

http://www.anchortex.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=P300440

Jeemag_USA
27-Jun-07, 17:43
They are for cellphones, ipods etc, you put the clip ion there and it saves you doing it to your pocket, that way you can get your hand in your pocket easier.

karia
27-Jun-07, 19:15
Jeemag_USA

Where would we be without you,?...fumblin' in oor pockets obviously!

There's a pleasure you've denied us!:D

Rummage, Rummage...!;)

Love, Karia.

Jeemag_USA
27-Jun-07, 19:21
Jeemag_USA

Where would we be without you,?...fumblin' in oor pockets obviously!

There's a pleasure you've denied us!:D

Rummage, Rummage...!

Love, Karia.

Was it a good guess then :Razz

I'm away home to slit my jeans up!

karia
27-Jun-07, 19:23
Enjoy!!

Karia

horseman
27-Jun-07, 19:49
Drat I thought they were for threading my sporran strap thru' So thats why I had all those funny looks,;)