PDA

View Full Version : I can't get rid !!

scaraben
26-Jun-07, 20:42
I have a vista operating system & windows email. there is a message in my IN BOX which I simply can't erase by the normal conventional method. Each time I try I get a window which says:

MESSAGE COULD NOT BE DISPLAYED WINDOWS EMAIL
EMAIL ENCOUNTERED AN UNEXPECTED PROBLEM
WHILE DISPLAYING THIS MESSAGE.

Can someone come up with a solution please ?

Brizer2k7
26-Jun-07, 21:37
You could try downloading your email into another email application such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express and see if you get the same problem.

Or are you talking about the web based system, formerly called Hotmail know known as WindowsLive Hotmail (URL as http://www.hotmail.com) ?

scaraben
26-Jun-07, 22:22
I'm talking about "Windows mail" which was installed on my PC when I got it recently, NOT WEB MAIL. You would have to tell me how to download it to "outlook" from what it is on at present !! .............. But I don't hold out much hope to get it to off, but I'm willing to give it a go if you explain how to download it.

Brizer2k7
26-Jun-07, 23:48
Hi again

Before you use an email program like Microsoft Outlook (available as part of Microsoft Office) or Outlook Express (which is normally part of windows, but I am not sure if it is present on Vista because I have never used it) then you need to know certain details about your email account

e.g. username, password, pop3 (incoming) mail server, SMTP (outgoing) mail server

Then using either Outlook or Outlook Express you simply go to tools ==> accounts you add an account with the details above.

What type of email account is it? is it a POP3 account or is it a webmail account like Hotmail, Yahoo or googlemail?

Bobinovich
27-Jun-07, 12:49
FYI Windows Mail is the Vista version of Outlook Express, the latter no longer exists in Vista, and even the former will be changing again, this time to Windows Live Mail (source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mail)).

One of the main new features of Windows Mail is that e-mails are now stored individually, rather than grouped together in a file (i.e. inbox.dbx used to hold all messages in the inbox - The easy answer in Outlook Express would have been to move all other e-mails in the Inbox to a temporary folder and then delete the inbox.dbx file)

Unfortunately I am not running Vista as yet so am not sure where Windows Mail stores these e-mail files, otherwise I'd have suggested trying to delete the errant file directly.

Anyone else take it from here?

matelot79
27-Jun-07, 18:53
You could try this link to see if it helps you.

http://www.oehelp.com:80/WMUtil/Default.aspx

scaraben
28-Jun-07, 20:07
Thank you Matelot79 it seems like this could be of help to me. In view of the fact that I'm 76 years old and not " the sharpest Knife in the drawer" Could you send me a PM stating in easy to follow steps what I must do to make use of the facility please ?
Not quite sure what to do at this point : Note: The zip file contains two files which must be saved to the same directory (one can use the Desktop). Then open WMUtil.exe to start the programme.

matelot79
28-Jun-07, 23:58
Hi scaraben

I have not used windows email yet, (bought a laptop but then got a new motherboard etc etc for the desktop) so back to using OE instead of web mail. The laptop has vista so I have been keeping an eye on the Microsoft newsgroups and the problem your are having seems to be an issue with a lot of people. So I will set up email on the laptop and give the program a try (seems that a lot of the Microsoft certified people who respond to the newsgroups link to this site) and let you know how I get on.

scaraben
29-Jun-07, 09:12
Thank you so much for your trouble, I look forward to hearing from you. Scaraben

matelot79
30-Jun-07, 03:16
Now this gets really scary. I have the laptop and desktop networked and when I started windows mail it picked up the default settings from the desktop, Pop.tiscali smtp.tiscali , even the Microsoft NNTP newsserver, (4 years now and no problems just throttle back on the downloads between 6 and 12pm )

You can get to where the emails are stored by doing the following
Start
Control panel
Folder options
Then view and check show hidden files and folders
Go to computer (Bill Gates has thought that you may own it but it is his and no longer called my computer)
Local disk
Users
What name you choose
Appdata (not application data)
Local
Microsoft
Windows mail
Local folders

And there you will find your inbox and all the rest. Now here we get to another problem. I have deleted the emails in the inbox and even deleted the inbox folder but go back into email and every email is back (it has it’s own built in recovery system).

You could create a new folder and move all the emails that are fine and then follow the above and see if windows mail will fix the corrupt email when it does the automatic recovery.

I could not corrupt windows mail to see if the program works but all it does is bring up a DOS box and you just say yes.
Have posted your problem to see if there is any response.

scaraben
30-Jun-07, 13:06
Deary me...................what a lot of researching you have done on my behalf I am most greatful. It does however sound as if I'm stuck with this problem ! Mind you, tis not causing any upset. its just that ( well you'll know yourself !! ) if you use the PC a lot you want things to be RIGHT !! Perhaps i'm a fusspot !!!!

scaraben
03-Jul-07, 21:55
I am very pleased to tell you that I have successfully removed the unwanted email message. Thank you so much for all your help. Scaraben.

matelot79
03-Jul-07, 23:33
Did you use the first method in the link i sent you or did you manage to sort it out yourself (and are keeping something up your sleeve).