PDA

View Full Version : GMTV - News Magazine or Tabloid Comic?

brokencross
26-Jun-07, 10:45
I don't normally watch GMTV, but because my cable tv was "poorly" this morning, GMTV happened to be on the box.
They were on the main story of the day, the flooding in Sheffield and the villages being evacuated because of fears of a reservoir dam being breached. They went to a live link to a reporter in a helicopter over the affected areas and he was explaining and showing the damage caused by the floods etc.
All of a sudden the helicopter pictures diasappear from the screen and Fiona Phillips face appears saying, "very sorry, we have to interrupt you there, blah, blah etc" I thought, my goodness, something major must have happened in order to break in to the main news story of the day, was it an assasination, another bombing, a world catasrophe of some sort?............................................. .......NO, none of these.
In their wisdom GMTV broke into such an important news item to show live pictures from L.A. of some celebrity "z" lister, attention seeking, talentless, law beaker..i.e. Paris Hilton being released from jail. So what, by all means report the fact she has left jail, but for it to take precedent over an ongoing news item in our own country in which people have died, just makes no sense.
That just went to remind me of why I avoid GMTV, it is nothing but a tabloid comic. The "in depth" political interviews are a joke, they are nothing but a frothy, frivolous chat on the sofa where the politicians just spout their rhetoric without being challenged.

Rant over.

fred
26-Jun-07, 11:00
That just went to remind me of why I avoid GMTV, it is nothing but a tabloid comic.

I don't reckon much to their crops or their cars either.

Ash
26-Jun-07, 11:00
i completely agree! sky news is the same, its soo pointless, who on earth wants to know about paris hilton, she isnt even famous for something good apart from a rather awful and disgusting video![evil]

brokencross
26-Jun-07, 11:12
Fred you may just have something there, I reckon some of the presenters have been genetically modified, can't say much about General Motors though, I am pleased with my Astra

SNOWDOG
26-Jun-07, 13:12
I dont watch GMTV as it tends to be a televised version of HELLO magazine. Real news is routinely sidelined for items about c-list celebs and fashion, the programmes format is tacky and the presenters are rubbish! (You should see Fiona Phillips do an interview, its laughable) :lol:

Innes
26-Jun-07, 20:05
Dont get me started on that Fiona Phillips,cant stand the woman she only got the job coz her husband is the boss of GMTV,Iwould pay good money to see her wrestle a big Bear or swim with a Great White whilst having large chunk of oily fish straped th her back. pure dead mince tabloid comic.

horseman
26-Jun-07, 21:19
brokencross, you speak for us all there!!:(

gollach
26-Jun-07, 21:42
It's not a programme I take seriously. I think I could say the same for ITV output as a whole.