PDA

View Full Version : how is this for a baby name....

justine
24-Jun-07, 17:54
Now i like unusual names and all of mine have a double barrelled name and a middle name, but how far can you go.Well to this woman long is better......

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070623/tod-lifestyle-britain-names-7f81b96.html

Let me know your opinions on this......:eek:

Cazaa
24-Jun-07, 17:59
In view of her reasons, I would say it was a knock-out!

p.s. you have to remove one of the http's to get the link to work:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20070623/tuk-a-knockout-name-for-baby-autumn-6323e80.html

justine
24-Jun-07, 18:00
just did that.thanks

Fluff
24-Jun-07, 19:34
i think that is so stupid and pointless. yeah sure its a bit of fun, but i would hate to have to be the one filling out forms lol

golach
24-Jun-07, 19:56
That bairn will be punch drunk when it is of the age to fill out forms [disgust]

Solus
24-Jun-07, 19:58
people cho0se some odd names thats for sure !

Mind you, when i was married i had in laws that were determind to pick the name of my boy, when i got in from the hospital they had written

"welcome home stuart " on the board in the kitchen, made my blood boil, revenge was sweet a few days later when, with a dead pan face, told them we had decided to call him Baldrick Blackadder followed by my surname due to me being a fan of blackadder !! the suckers only went and believed me !! even my missus at the time kept the joke going a few days. :lol: by heck they were not amused !

orkneylass
24-Jun-07, 20:10
imposing their "daft sense of humour" on the poor child does not bode well......

Victoria
24-Jun-07, 20:12
very stupid and mean. although I do like the name Autumn

carasmam
24-Jun-07, 20:25
Autumn is a nice name - but not with Brown - sounds like a shade of creosote [lol]

justine
24-Jun-07, 20:42
We have a little girl whose name is Zuleika-Autumn Keita and it is a lovely name is Autumn, but like the comments, that poor child has to grow up with that name and i would notlike to be the one that has to fill in forms.With the 8 children that we have all having 3 names then the surname it takes me long enough to write theirs out, but that little girl willhave to write that out a few times before she is 21......Poor little mite....

Geo
24-Jun-07, 20:48
Forms won't matter. They will pick the name that they actually want to call her, ie Autumn and that is the name she will grow up with and use to sign her name.

justine
24-Jun-07, 20:51
Forms won't matter. They will pick the name that they actually want to call her, ie Autumn and that is the name she will grow up with and use to sign her name.

so then why put so many names in when she will never use them, seems a bit pointless to have 24 unused names behind your foremname....dont you think....

changilass
24-Jun-07, 21:12
IMHO folks need to remember that it is a child they are having, not a doll to play with. Give your silly names to the tedddies in the play room or one of the family pets that know no better, I think it is disgusting [disgust]

mccaugm
24-Jun-07, 21:32
IMHO folks need to remember that it is a child they are having, not a doll to play with. Give your silly names to the tedddies in the play room or one of the family pets that know no better, I think it is disgusting [disgust]

I agree...cutesy names are cute until the kids grow up, Zowie Bowie, Peaches/Pixie Gelof et al

Maegwynn
24-Jun-07, 22:53
And i thought us naming our first son Theoden Edwin Sean Billington was bad!!!:lol: Lets hope shes a boxing fan!!:roll:

Lolabelle
25-Jun-07, 08:11
It's a bit over the top. What will it really achieve other than to give other kids something to tease her about. Sometimes parents are a bit short sighted when naming their kids. What is a funny little joke at the time is something a child has to live with for the rest of their lives.

Ash
25-Jun-07, 09:09
god thats a mouthful my wee one is called Ellie-Grace so i never gave her a middle name as i thought it would be too much! lol

Geo
25-Jun-07, 11:41
so then why put so many names in when she will never use them, seems a bit pointless to have 24 unused names behind your foremname....dont you think....

Yes it is pointless. It's a gimmick. The names have no meaning to them other than they are boxing fans.

As to it being difficult for the child as she grows up. I think it depends on how much they advertise it. For example how many people with a middle name actually ever mention it? I'm rarely asked if I have a middle name and never use it in every day life. If she is simply known as Autumn Brown then it may not ever be an issue.

honey
25-Jun-07, 12:14
:eek: I gave my new baby 2 middle names, and i thought that was a mouthful!!! :lol:

justine
25-Jun-07, 13:37
i made reference to one of my daughters being called Zuleika_autumn Keita which translated means Pretty girl in the Autumn woods....If people are going to give there children names with meaning i do suggest that they do it with a lot of looking up names and meanings and not giving them names of past generations thst allbe it nice to do can and will cause that child some hassle when she is older......As some no i have 8 childen and they all have names with meanings but i could never give them such a stupid long name...

squidge
25-Jun-07, 14:18
Crikey im struggling to pick 2 each.

airdlass
25-Jun-07, 17:09
i made reference to one of my daughters being called Zuleika_autumn Keita which translated means Pretty girl in the Autumn woods....If people are going to give there children names with meaning i do suggest that they do it with a lot of looking up names and meanings and not giving them names of past generations thst allbe it nice to do can and will cause that child some hassle when she is older......As some no i have 8 childen and they all have names with meanings but i could never give them such a stupid long name...

Both my kids were given "names of past generations" and they have not had any hassle and they are now young adults.
At the end of the day it's a very personal choice.

percy toboggan
25-Jun-07, 17:10
Further evidence that prospective parents should be subject to 'numpty' tests. These two would clearly fail.

justine
25-Jun-07, 17:16
Both my kids were given "names of past generations" and they have not had any hassle and they are now young adults.
At the end of the day it's a very personal choice.

i was not meaning any offence about past generation names airdlass, but i dont suppose you gave them 25.....

airdlass
25-Jun-07, 17:21
No offence taken! As I said it's a personal choice - for me it was to call them after family members.:D

honey
25-Jun-07, 17:22
this reminds me of an article that was in the news paper about a year and half ago.... a young couple named their first baby Drew... a nice enough name, until their friends starting laughing because their last name is Peacock.. it took a while to sink in, but say the babys full name together...

another couple named their baby girl Snow, their surname is White, which is my married name, so i threatened hubby with that! ;)

justine
25-Jun-07, 17:23
No offence taken! As I said it's a personal choice - for me it was to call them after family members.:D

As i grew up without my family i dont have the good fortune of bringing my family names into my childrens name. You are the lucky one their. I had to come up with some good imagination to come up with my kids names as most of them have unusual but nice names....

WeeBurd
25-Jun-07, 22:42
Each to one's own. As Geo says, she'll probably just use Autumn Brown when she's old enough to be writing for herself. I wouldn't personally choose so many names, but that's me.

I don't think she'll get teased much, as her christian name is quite clear, easily pronounced/spelt.

chocolatechip
25-Jun-07, 23:06
I think it toatally stupid to have so many names for one child if i had Girl would be Katie Lee or Lucy JO and a boy Charlie Andre after my grandad and the middle name after my uncle

bluelady
27-Jun-07, 21:49
i was going to call my daughter Saffron,Sapphire,Electra but got talked out of her and gave her traditional names. I regret that now as from her teens she has said she would have loved those names :confused

katarina
27-Jun-07, 23:01
I think it should be illegal to give a child more than three names!

sassylass
28-Jun-07, 01:41
A friend just bought a motorcycle from a man who was giving it up because he's become a family man, no time for riding with baby #3 on the way. Man mentions that baby #3 will be their first daughter, they already have 2 sons named Chase and Hunter.

We cannot help wondering if they'll keep with the theme and name her Bambi [lol]

Graham
28-Jun-07, 01:47
You wonder where people's heads are at when they do things like this to an infant.

justine
28-Jun-07, 10:29
i quite like the names they have, but my sons name is xenon-chase, so i think that i am biased, but i would like to know what they are going to call the little girl....

JAWS
28-Jun-07, 10:45
Some parents are almost certifiable when it comes to names for their children. One of my teachers at school was called David Ivor Morgan, D.I.M.

I dread to think what he must have gone through when he was at school, I doubt either teachers or other children could resist the temptation.

golach
28-Jun-07, 10:59
Some parents are almost certifiable when it comes to names for their children. One of my teachers at school was called David Ivor Morgan, D.I.M.

I dread to think what he must have gone through when he was at school, I doubt either teachers or other children could resist the temptation.

An Ex colleague of mine in the Customs and Excise let his wife name their first born she chose Hamish Alexander Stuart Henderson, he was the laughing stock of his colleagues at the Airport [lol]