PDA

View Full Version : A compliment?!

neepnipper
24-Jun-07, 09:51
Had to go to Argos to buy a gas cannister, couldn't believe it when the lady on the till didn't think I was over 21, I am in fact 39! She asked me for ID which I didn't have on me then she had to go and get someone else for a second opinion.

Now, hopefully I don't look too bad for my age but I'm quite sure I look over 21! I know they have to be careful about selling stuff like that but I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or whether thay were just taking the wotsit!

Hubbie thought it quite hysterical and promptly got a clip round the ear!

I suppose at least they are being doubly sure they're not selling stuff like that to kids.

horseman
24-Jun-07, 10:07
Know just what you mean, I get it in morrisons when I go to buy my favourite gurgle, old pultneytown:)I usually say yea only just,an I am in my sixties:cool:

BRIE
24-Jun-07, 10:29
i would take that as a compliment

Billy Boy
24-Jun-07, 10:44
lol are you sure that they never heard that you are just about to knock on the door of the big 4 0 and trying to make you feel better :Razz

ginajade
24-Jun-07, 11:30
Definately a compliment. Enjoy while they still ask. I used to get a bit miffed when people queried my age. Now nobody does I'm miffed. The years are obviously showing now!! :lol:

percy toboggan
24-Jun-07, 11:46
In Arisaig 'Sea-Life' centre a couple of years back we were both asked if we were 'Senior Citizens'

'No,Not for ten years yet' I quipped. I was only slightly miffed, but reflected how quickly the time has gone by since I was refused four cans of light ale in the offy c.1972 (I was 21)
Cest la vie !

helenwyler
24-Jun-07, 12:39
Lucky you, neepnipper!

When I was a teenager I regularly used to be thought younger than I was:mad:, partly because I'm (only?) 5 ft small. Nowadays I'm flattered if people think I'm in my 40s!![lol]

mccaugm
24-Jun-07, 21:43
At 15 I passed for 18 regularly...a few years later I was writing a cheque to pay for a meal, (I presume you have to be 18 to have a cheque book), the barman asked me if I was old enough to drink. I was by now 26. I asked him if he could say it a bit louder as they didn't hear at the back of the bar. I was wonderfully flattered.