PDA

View Full Version : Big Gig - listen to Nemesis

colin stoner
23-Jun-07, 21:11
Finally, the demo for my band Nemesis has come at last
If you want to hear us then go to

www.myspace.com/nemesiscaithness (http://www.myspace.com/nemesiscaithness)

the songs are not fully mixed but the final versions should be up before next week

and at big gig we'll be playing another two of our own, both extremely heavy and hopefully we'll get a big mosh pit going

tell me what you think of the songs :)

PS (btw if the songs aren't up then thats because it's still uploading them)

K dragon
24-Jun-07, 00:54
good stuff, keep up the good work guys.

DOC ROCK
24-Jun-07, 10:20

the songs are not fully mixed but the final versions should be up before next week

and at big gig we'll be playing another two of our own, both extremely heavy and hopefully we'll get a big mosh pit going

Well done Nemesis. I really like your songs, and look forward to getting into the mosh pit.

jim shoe
24-Jun-07, 15:35

high colin stoner my name is ebo am sorry 2 rain on ur parade but i have contacted the proper authorities as u have stolen my bands name i formed nemesis in 1998 and own the copyrite for this name i would be obliged ifn u would change ur name i am contacting my lawyer who holds the copyrite in her office on monday morning. u will change the name or i will see you in the court and im afraid i hold all the aces the choice is yours any messages you have for me u can pm me at this addyhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

moncur
24-Jun-07, 15:49
high colin stoner my name is ebo am sorry 2 rain on ur parade but i have contacted the proper authorities as u have stolen my bands name i formed nemesis in 1998 and own the copyrite for this name i would be obliged ifn u would change ur name i am contacting my lawyer who holds the copyrite in her office on monday morning. u will change the name or i will see you in the court and im afraid i hold all the aces the choice is yours any messages you have for me u can pm me at this addyhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Is your 'Nemesis' still on the go? And where are you from?

Duress from Thurso know of a 'Duress' in America who are signed and have released material in the USA, but were actually formed AFTER the Thurso 'Duress'.

Think there is also another Boss Hogg somewhere else in the world aswell but with slightly different spelling? Could be wrong?

jim shoe
24-Jun-07, 16:02
i am from wick nemesis has bin copywritten and the lawyer will prove this

Cazaa
24-Jun-07, 16:59
Didn't the name come up recently in the Waffles poll?
Colin Stoner told us that he took the name from a ride at Alten Towers (I think).

Surely all Colin has to do,then, is prove that he took the name from there and not from your band.
As they are a homage to the great fairground ride and they are not actually passing themselves off as a rollercoaster (although they may make some people sick) then Alten Towers won't be suing them.

Jeemag_USA
24-Jun-07, 17:12
If this is true all they have to do is title themselves The Nemesis, or change the name to Nemesys or Nemisys or Nemisis. Jim are your band still going, if not why not just give them the name if they are a young and upcoming band??

Also I am not sure that the single word Nemesis can be copyrighted in all honesty, you may be able to copyright The Nemesis. If you do a swift bit of googling yourself you will find there are already four or five other bands in the world called Nemesis (so you have broken the law by using and attempting to copyright someone elses name), three in the USA, one in South Korea. Nemesis is the name of a rapper from the Skoal Bandits. So they may be taking you to court if you ever make it big. Nemesis is also the title for several movies, songs, album covers and a DC comic hero, a drug, a computer operating system, a video game.

I don't think any claim to the name would stand up in court for more than five minutes before it was dismissed, just being realistic. If it would, then someone like DC Comics would have told everyone to stop using it by now.

Jeemag_USA
24-Jun-07, 17:26
Just found another Nemesis from Virginia who are a heavy rock band who have an album available to purchase in the UK, so there is already one recording artist with that name selling material. Also found anothe three Nemesises, one in Sweden, one in Hungary and another in the USA. Also found a band called "The Nemesis" as well.

I think there is a law that if one particular band has already sold material under a name in one particular country then another cannot do the same. I remember that because The Beat had to change their name whenever they went to the states or sold albums in the states because the name was already used, they had to be called The English Beat.

I'd say you'd be safe to go ahead and use it Colin and if your worried about it just change one letter, I think Nemisys sounds good and I couldn't find anything on yahoo or google for a band with that name. Or you can have my name that I coined "The Cheap Johns" :L

:Razz

the_big_mac
24-Jun-07, 17:30
Ahhh just let the little fool blow all his money chasing Colin with his "lawyer".

I'd be bricking it if I were you Colin :roll:

Cazaa
24-Jun-07, 18:19
Nemesis is the name of a rapper from the Skoal Bandits.

Wasn't Skoal Bandits also the name of a tobacco company that encouraged you to put the tobacco under your top lip?

I wonder if the two of them ever went to court over that?

And how long before my nemesis, The Pepsi Challenge is taken to court over his use of a (surely) copyright name?

killarifts
24-Jun-07, 18:58
i totally agree with jeemac, this band name copyright thing would be laughed out of court,i wouldn't worry,ebo doesn't have leg to stand on,
ps has anyone formed a band called storm recently lol

theboss
25-Jun-07, 11:00
Ha ha... this cracked me up. Superb! Imagine threatening 15 year olds with legal action because they "stole" his band name!

I think it's very brave of Colin and the rest of Nemesis to use the name. Can you imagine if the public did get the two bands confused... it could have a huge effect on Colins bands audience numbers... but not in a good way!

Hold on... there's a band in Wick called Colin... I suggest you get in touch with them Mr Stoner. They seem to have stolen your first name...

guitarzan
25-Jun-07, 11:07
please god tell me there's no other betsy twinkler's!? i don't want to be dragged thru any high court justice system...

lol

not had a chance to listen to ur stuff yet colin, no speakers on this PC :(

P.S. jim shoe - you still writing/recording your own material these days?

Chobbersjnr
25-Jun-07, 14:00
please god tell me there's no other betsy twinkler's!? i don't want to be dragged thru any high court justice system...

lol

not had a chance to listen to ur stuff yet colin, no speakers on this PC :(

P.S. jim shoe - you still writing/recording your own material these days?

actually I just formed a one man band called "Betsy Twinkler's Storm(y) Nemesis"

[lol]

Jeemag_USA
25-Jun-07, 14:14
actually I just formed a one man band called "Betsy Twinkler's Storm(y) Nemesis"

[lol]

I just formed a one man three piece band called Jim Shoe and the High Heels, I have also copyrighted the names Jim Shoe and the Plimsoles and Jim Shoe and Winklepickers as well incase I ever need them, also from time to time I will be appearing as a one man one man band simply called Jim, like Colin but Jim, so please no other band call themselves Jim or have Jim in their name. And incase it should cause any confusion can anyone with the name Jim or Jim in their name please stop posting on here.

Sincerely

Jim (Jimmie, Jimmy, James, Jeemag, Cheemag, Chimack, Jimag, Chimag) All rights reserved 1664 to 2098!!!

Chobbersjnr
25-Jun-07, 14:22
a one man three piece band!

hehe I always thought you had a split personallity. Do you talk amongst yourselves whilst discussing the next song????

WAIT,

oh sit down oh sit down, sit down next to me

,.......................... by erm................JAMES

Jeemag_USA
25-Jun-07, 14:41
hehe I always thought you had a split personallity. Do you talk amongst yourselves whilst discussing the next song????

WAIT,

oh sit down oh sit down, sit down next to me

,.......................... by erm................JAMES

One member of the band is Mexican and he can no speak a english, his name is Jesus (pronounced hayhooth, not copyrighted) so I don't talk to him ,we have a translator who can tell us what he says when he is not playing the spoons, but he doesn't say much anyway. The other band member besides myself plays the church organ, I am not talking to him either because he stole my wife, she said she liked his organ and liked the fact he had a bigger instrument. Me and my Penny Whistle are now looking for a new woman :mad:

MadPict
25-Jun-07, 15:34
Also I am not sure that the single word Nemesis can be copyrighted in all honesty...

Great research there Jeemag!!!!
I don't think it can - it is a ancient Greek word and has certainly been used doen the centuries as a word to mean a rival or opponent which cannot be overcome.

I'd like to see the copyright paperwork on this one.:roll:

Certain companies tried to copyright the word "nano" in relation to a small DAP - as the word "nano" is Greek for small I think the copyright claim fell flat on it's face. One company claimed that the word nano was in such widespread use it could not be protected by copyright IIRC.

Wonder why the authors of The Bible didn't sue Genesis?..........

colin stoner
25-Jun-07, 16:50
so really i don't need to worry about this Jimmy shoe biy?

we took the name from the alton towers ride cos it was awesome... i'd never even heard of any other Nemesis bands so how could i have stolen his?

we're better anyway :lol: lol

moncur
25-Jun-07, 17:09
we're better anyway :lol: lol

Ah his manager must have been giving them words of confidence! Which is always a good thing, unless they suck! lol just pulling yer chain colin.

PS Would anyone object to me changing Empty Fortune's name to 'The New Experience'? Its either that or 'Umpteen Forty'!

Jeemag_USA
25-Jun-07, 18:11
Ah his manager must have been giving them words of confidence! Which is always a good thing, unless they suck! lol just pulling yer chain colin.

PS Would anyone object to me changing Empty Fortune's name to 'The New Experience'? Its either that or 'Umpteen Forty'!

Don't forget to pay me my royalties for the name Umpteen Forty or i will sue ya! [lol]

Deemac
25-Jun-07, 19:22
So that's the band "Whisky" pretty much stuffed then!!?

I'd wondered why ALL the whisky manufactures had submitted summons to appear in court for the last couple of years!! The lawers fees must be considerable.

O, sorry for that - I've just come back to reality.:Razz

I presume from the spelling and punctuation of jim shoe's well constructed and tactful communication that he's (she's) hiring some fairly expensive lawers then!!

Jeemag_USA
25-Jun-07, 19:36
I presume from the spelling and punctuation of jim shoe's well constructed and tactful communication that he's (she's) hiring some fairly expensive lawers then!!

Ha ha sorry couldnae help it!!

Aye let's hear from this lawyer that is holding the copyright, that should be a laugh. [lol]

Kev_Plastic_Food
25-Jun-07, 20:07
Yeah, I'd really like to hear from the lawyer that said the name was copyright... This is from http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18_copyright_names The UK copyright society...

'Enquiries such as ‘Can I copyright a name?’ are one of the most common questions we are asked, and this seems to be one of the most misunderstood aspects of copyright law.
The short answer is to simply say that names, titles, short phrases, (and also colours), are not considered unique or substantial enough to be awarded copyright protection in their own right'

And it goes on to explain why

colin stoner
25-Jun-07, 20:57
anyway got the FINAL demo done, it's up on
you might not hear the difference but both guitars are now equal

go have a listen to get our views up :lol:

Tubthumper
26-Jun-07, 00:11
What is it about copyright on this site..?

Dam fools

Gogglebox
26-Jun-07, 08:03
Having been down this road very recently with the name of a local gala gig and someone claiming they own it my advice is carry on and let them sue

They will spend good money on making a fool of themselves

Copyright is one thing but a Trademark surely is whats needed for a brand name e.g Marks & Spencers, McDonalds etc

So dont lose any sleep over this spurious nonsense

The other thing i would say is he cant be using it much as nobody has heard of his band

If his approach to you had not been so rabid folk may have had some sympathy for the inconvenience of the situation but he flew off on one

Tactically very naive!

Good luck with the band Colin

Suspects
08-Jul-07, 12:32
I was thinking of starting a band called The Big Gig.

Hope there are no copyright issues with that name ! ! ! ? ? ! !

He he :-)

zebedy
08-Jul-07, 14:57
the intro of the song " Nemesis" sounds like a song by Plastic Food?
Am i wrong?

Tis good though,

Nemesis - " Nemesis " - http://myspace.com/nemesiscaithness

Plastic Food - " Everything That You Do " - http://plasticfood.bebo.com

Mystical Potato Head
09-Jul-07, 18:37
Star Trek;Nemesis(2002),Captain Jean-Luc Picard will sue both of you.

Engage