PDA

View Full Version : a wee question for our canadian orgers

dunderheed
23-Jun-07, 17:42
i'm thinking of going to toronto next january for my 40th birthday present .
a couple of questions for you:-
is it expensive to eat in restraunts as the hotel we are going to is on a room only basis?
i know it is cold in january but exactly how cold (remembering that us scots wear just jumpers in the winter ;)

and finally is the shopping good? (thats her request not mine)

wild1
23-Jun-07, 19:43
Hi there my sister has just moved out to canada and she says that it is really cheap to eat out there and the food is good, shopping is excellent there too and somethings are cheap depends on what you are buying though, If your going in january you better take plenty of clothes because it will be cold and they got lots of snow over there more than what we get up here in the highlands.

Ricco
23-Jun-07, 20:04
Hi there, Dunderheed.

Eating out is generally very cheap in Canada. It will obviously depend on where you go. If you are looking for a lunchtime snack I can recommend Licks (Younge Street) or Mr Green Jeans (Eaton Centre)... you must also try a Shopsey's hot dog from down by the stadium. Evening fare is not something I am so aware of - its been a while. Try asking Canuck, or I can ask my sister who is still out there. Do go and watch a Jay's game at the stadium - you'll love it.:D

golach
23-Jun-07, 20:08
Oh I would kill for an 8oz Reubens sandwich, you can get 16oz ones in Montreal :eek:

Scaraben1976
23-Jun-07, 20:37
When I've been in Toronto either with work, or on holiday, I always found the food cheap and good. I personally love to get a hotdog or 10 from the vans and street venders that sit outside Union Station (Front Street West I think it is?) I also found these guys were the cheapest if I was looking for a bottle of water, or coke. Loads cheaper than going into a newsstand and buying one.
Looking for a snack, I love getting a bagel or a donut from TIM HORTONS.
Is the shopping good? Um well see how long you can spend in the Eaton Centre! If it is cold (which January does tend to be) you can follow the PATH underground shopping mall network. www.toronto.ca/path gives you some info about it. that website is also a mine of usefull info about Toronto.

Thiking about it is making me miss Canada. Been 3 years since work last sent me there. Ah well maybe again soon.........

dunderheed
23-Jun-07, 22:37
Rico , thats what i was wondering , is it baseball season or hockey season (or hopefully both) in january.

i'm sure my cousin said one of our uncles(2nd or 3rd) played for the maple leafs , his 2nd name was jack (his first name completely escapes me)

canuck
24-Jun-07, 00:38
Oh, no! I won't be here then. I'll be living in Edinburgh! But I can answer a few of your questions in the meantime.

1) About prices - yes, I think that Canadian restaurant prices are probably a bit let less (well maybe a whole lot less) than UK prices.

2) Toronto shopping is fabulous. Maybe not New York City, but on a par with Edinburgh and much less costly.

3) Ricco, think man, he is talking about January. The only sports on then are hockey (played inside, but very pricey) and basketball. Baseball starts April 1. It takes me back to an occasion mid-summer when we were at a golf place with a miniature putting course, which advertised children's birthday parties. My husband suggested that this would be a good place to take our daughter and her friends for her birthday. I reminded him that she was born in January, not the height of golf season in Canada.

4) As to clothing - well the coldest I have ever been in my life was on the Island of Iona. But then I didn't have my Canadian gear with me. You will need a good pair of boots. Because of the use of salt in Toronto, it becomes quite slushy even in the cold. A heavy pair of woolen socks in a good pair of boots should be okay. Layers will be a way to keep the cold away. Good head gear (all my winter hats came from Scotland, so they exist there) and scarves are a must. Covers for the hands are also necessary. Both gloves or mitts (or both on a really cold day) are worn. As to style, don't worry. If it gets really cold no one is looking at you. As one writer mentioned, there is a fabulous system of heated underground shops and walkways in Toronto so you can stay out of the cold if you want to.

dunderheed, certainly don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions. rich is the real Toronto expert because he actually lives in the city.

Big Jean
24-Jun-07, 00:42
I am sure dunderheed, you will enjoy your visit .
However, there will not be baseball at that time of the year, but there will be basketball and hockey.
As for the weather, it can be a cold month, there may or may not be much snow, our weather has been very changeable these past couple of years . You will need warm clothes and you can find out averages for temperature online for any month .
Plenty of eating places and at good prices . Added to Ricco's list, we have Swiss Chalet for chicken, ribs, salads etc.( a favourite ), The Mandarin is an all you can eat buffet with Chinese food but also has pizza or either pork or beef and regular vegetables, potatoes, french fries, waffles and excellent desserts and on and on ( another favourite )! There is also The Marketplace, The Keg, we have good Italian restaurants, it just depends what you like . Lets not forget Fish and Chip shops and we have pubs with pub food as well, it is an endless list really and like scaraben1976, we can't forget Tim Hortons.
Prices are good, shopping excellent no matter where you are .
Lots to see and do even in the winter months.
Just have a good time.

Big Jean
24-Jun-07, 00:45
Oh, no! I won't be here then. I'll be living in Edinburgh! But I can answer a few of your questions in the meantime.

1) About prices - yes, I think that Canadian restaurant prices are probably a bit let less (well maybe a whole lot less) than UK prices.

2) Toronto shopping is fabulous. Maybe not New York City, but on a par with Edinburgh and much less costly.

3) Ricco, think man, he is talking about January. The only sports on then are hockey (played inside, but very pricey) and basketball. Baseball starts April 1. It takes me back to an occasion mid-summer when we were at a golf place with a miniature putting course, which advertised children's birthday parties. My husband suggested that this would be a good place to take our daughter and her friends for her birthday. I reminded him that she was born in January, not the height of golf season in Canada.

4) As to clothing - well the coldest I have ever been in my life was on the Island of Iona. But then I didn't have my Canadian gear with me. You will need a good pair of boots. Because of the use of salt in Toronto, it becomes quite slushy even in the cold. A heavy pair of woolen socks in a good pair of boots should be okay. Layers will be a way to keep the cold away. Good head gear (all my winter hats came from Scotland, so they exist there) and scarves are a must. Covers for the hands are also necessary. Both gloves or mitts (or both on a really cold day) are worn. As to style, don't worry. If it gets really cold no one is looking at you. As one writer mentioned, there is a fabulous system of heated underground shops and walkways in Toronto so you can stay out of the cold if you want to.

dunderheed, certainly don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions. rich is the real Toronto expert because he actually lives in the city.

Hi canuck, It seems great minds think alike ! Good advice, some which I forgot to mention . We will get him fixed up for the trip yet !!

Ricco
24-Jun-07, 09:06
Ricco, think man, he is talking about January. The only sports on then are hockey (played inside, but very pricey) and basketball. Baseball starts April 1. It takes me back to an occasion mid-summer when we were at a golf place with a miniature putting course, which advertised children's birthday parties. My husband suggested that this would be a good place to take our daughter and her friends for her birthday. I reminded him that she was born in January, not the height of golf season in Canada.

Doh! So he was... Never mind - he should go in summer. :cool:

Still, the shops will keep him out of mischief. ;)

horseman
24-Jun-07, 10:22
Oh I would kill for an 8oz Reubens sandwich, you can get 16oz ones in Montreal :eek:

Damm, that sounds 'mega' ;)

canuck
24-Jun-07, 14:34
...i know it is cold in january but exactly how cold (remembering that us scots wear just jumpers in the winter ;)

You asked a very specific question and we have given you somewhat general answers. It can be plus 10 to 15 degrees C on a good day, but that is rare. Really what you are looking at is minus 10 to 15 degrees C (on average). That could easily go as low as minus 20 to 30 degrees. There will likely be snow, anywhere from a few inches to a few feet.

Also, it can be very windy in Toronto. A windproof/waterproof jacket with lots of layers underneath along with hats, scarves and mits and some kind of covering on your legs (dunderheed, especially your legs) is a must. There must be no exposed skin in such weather. Thermals help too.

Perhaps an enterprising person could set up some kind of clothing rental store for mid-winter visitors to Toronto.

To expand on Ricco's restaurant suggestions: Licks is a fantastic hamburger palace.

Royster1911
24-Jun-07, 17:13
I had a great time in the fantastic country of Canada. I even considersd moving there in the 70`s. Been to Calgary which is fantastic and was stationed with BATUS in Alberta. Lovely town close to our camp was Medicine Hat. Im sure old comrades and new will have visited the place.

Ricco
25-Jun-07, 15:56
To expand on Ricco's restaurant suggestions: Licks is a fantastic hamburger palace.

Its a MEGA fantastic burger palace. Sweet! ;)

Malcolmdog
25-Jun-07, 18:00
i'm thinking of going to toronto next january for my 40th birthday present .
a couple of questions for you:-
is it expensive to eat in restraunts as the hotel we are going to is on a room only basis?
i know it is cold in january but exactly how cold (remembering that us scots wear just jumpers in the winter ;
and finally is the shopping good? (thats her request not mine)

the Shopping is quite good. Try to get out of the downtown area, the Eaton Centre is ok, but I think they know a lot of tourists are trapped in the core, so I would take the subway to Yorkdale Shopping Plaza.

If you are driving and want a really neat shopping experience, about 30 minutes north of Toronto, try the Vaughan Mills Plaza in Vaughan. It really is a massive shopping plaza and has many different types of restaurants within walking distance of the plaza

If you like Italian food, the FORGET ABOUT RESTAURANT, downtown Toronto is very good and not far from the CN Tower. Try the Fox and Fiddle or the Duke of Argyle pub, good pub grub and beverages. Another good eatery, is Fred's Not Here / the Red Tomato. I never fancied Licks.

Check out our Musuem, it is in the downtown core. Lots of Canadian cultural and heritage items there to see.

Have a great visit.