PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband

engiebenjy
23-Jun-07, 10:28
It's coming to that time where the bb contract is going to run out, so looking around. I have to say, i'm quite happy with current provider, just a bit pricey. Have been looking at Sky. Does anyone up here have Sky bb? Any problems? Speed, bandwidth etc?

poppett
23-Jun-07, 13:13
I tried for the sky broadband, phone and tv package, but after signing up only the tv has come to fruition. Seems our exchange is not geared up for this service and isn`t likely to be until the beginning of next year.

JimH
23-Jun-07, 13:39
There is no reason for you to sign with anybody. Once your contract has ended, you will still have the equipment working, and there are a lot of free providers about now. AOL will give you a free email account, and you can use the like of Firefox to access the internet.

Metalattakk
23-Jun-07, 13:52
Good lord, I'm astonished.

justine
23-Jun-07, 14:11
we tried for sky broadband and to get the mb 40 it is a £40 registration fee and you get given another provider...We ended up with the bt and it is easier to get in.....

poppett
23-Jun-07, 16:12
I pay BT for line rental only on their monthly pay paper free scheme and £19 per month to Pipex for broadband and free 01 and 02 calls 24/7. No surprise bills which is fine for me.

After much argy bargy with Sky over mis-leading adverts re surf, talk and see they have reduced the package to £15. The only reason we needed sky was to get channel 5 as freeview doesn`t work where I live.

Bobinovich
23-Jun-07, 16:53
There is no reason for you to sign with anybody. Once your contract has ended, you will still have the equipment working, and there are a lot of free providers about now. AOL will give you a free email account, and you can use the like of Firefox to access the internet.

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood the question JimH, or just misunderstand how broadband itself works, but to my knowledge there is no ISP currently offering a Free Broadband package (unless you subscribe to something else as well such as a Sky, phone, or mobile contract).

Regardless of whether you still have the equipment, once you cancel your existing broadband contract the exchange is notified and you're line is de-broadbanded. Your only recourse then is to resort back to dial up which would feel painfully slow after the comparitive speed of broadband.

A free AOL e-mail account and Firefox isn't going to make much a difference either.

JimH
23-Jun-07, 19:23
I'm not sure if you've misunderstood the question JimH, or just misunderstand how broadband itself works, but to my knowledge there is no ISP currently offering a Free Broadband package (unless you subscribe to something else as well such as a Sky, phone, or mobile contract).

Regardless of whether you still have the equipment, once you cancel your existing broadband contract the exchange is notified and you're line is de-broadbanded. Your only recourse then is to resort back to dial up which would feel painfully slow after the comparitive speed of broadband.

A free AOL e-mail account and Firefox isn't going to make much a difference either.
Perhaps I have something unique then.
I do not pay a provider any longer.

Metalattakk
23-Jun-07, 21:14
Perhaps I have something unique then.
I do not pay a provider any longer.

So who is your provider?

DeHaviLand
24-Jun-07, 16:08
Are there any threads left on the org where people ask a simple question and get a simple answer?

No. Except this one now :D

Moonboots
26-Jun-07, 13:24
It's coming to that time where the bb contract is going to run out, so looking around. I have to say, i'm quite happy with current provider, just a bit pricey. Have been looking at Sky. Does anyone up here have Sky bb? Any problems? Speed, bandwidth etc?

You can get Sky BB but its only the BT ADSL service which is called Sky Broadband Connect and its costs £17.99 per month and a £40 activation payment.

Sky currently does not have LLU in our area yet and it doesnt look like it will be until next year.. It was meant to be the end of this year but I think this is not going to be the case now.

I am currently with Virgin Media (Virgin.net) and pay £17.99 a month for 2meg service and its only a monthly contract so you dont need to signup for another 12 months.

Ive been with Virgin for 2 years now and have never had any faults but I know people who has had a few probs with them.... Its really a hit and a miss