PDA

View Full Version : European Union

Kenn
23-Jun-07, 02:09
Is any one like me fed up with the dictats that eminate from Bruxelles?
Yes I am a member of Europe but I DID not sign up for a federal Europe and some of the more than daft acts that they have produced over the years have left me speechless.
I acknowlegde that the original idea was to terminate wars within the region,which is to be applauded but when bananas need to be a certain length along with cucumbers I do questoin just what is going on.
With the best will in the world, the system seems to have descended into the abyss.

JAWS
24-Jun-07, 16:27
The original agreement was the Treaty of Paris signed in 1951 which created the "European Coal and Steel Community" which was intended to help prevent another war in Europe by creating free trade in coal and steel amongst the major States in (Western) Europe. That is a diplomatic way of saying France and Germany. The other four Countries involved were Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg who invariably got trampled by one or other of their much larger neighbours, and Italy.

In 1958 this became the European Economic Community which extended the agreement to cover such things as the "harmonisation" of agriculture and fisheries, oh, yes, and taxation and currency. For "harmonisation" read, "regulated to the point of stupidity".

Bobinovich
24-Jun-07, 17:42
Quite agree Lizz. Anyone know of a good site which summarises what areas the EU does and doesn't cover? As one of a generation who has had no say as to whether I want to be part of an expanding European Community I'd at least like to gen up on the subject before deciding.

I admit to feeling totally disjointed from Europe and based on the little I do know / have learned on the subject I doubt that, given a choice, I would choose the UK to stay in the EU.

golach
24-Jun-07, 19:59
Quite agree Lizz. Anyone know of a good site which summarises what areas the EU does and doesn't cover? As one of a generation who has had no say as to whether I want to be part of an expanding European Community I'd at least like to gen up on the subject before deciding.

I admit to feeling totally disjointed from Europe and based on the little I do know / have learned on the subject I doubt that, given a choice, I would choose the UK to stay in the EU.
Bob I know exactly how you feel, but I voted against joining, so to all them that did and are not happy now.....Nah Nah I told you so!!!!! [lol]