K dragon
22-Jun-07, 15:01
is that tonight?

moncur
22-Jun-07, 15:27
It is Wednesday 27th June

cmack
22-Jun-07, 17:36
just thought i'd let you know, incase you didn't already, that on honre are also going to be playing at battle of the bands. not in the competition obviously, think we are playing while the judges are making their decisions or somethin.

DOC ROCK
22-Jun-07, 17:57
All the best to all who participate.:Razz

zebedy
28-Jun-07, 13:56
Red Wall 1st
Lyal Watt 2nd
TWE 3rd

colin stoner
28-Jun-07, 14:25
red wall deserved it and TWE did too, but it is Battle of The BANDS and lyall watt, although he has enormous talent, is not a band so i think that was a tad unfair

jitz should have got it

theboss
28-Jun-07, 14:34
red wall deserved it and TWE did too, but it is Battle of The BANDS and lyall watt, although he has enormous talent, is not a band so i think that was a tad unfair

jitz should have got it

Battle of the Bands competitions are never fair and never will be. Everyones opinion differs on who should've gotten what. Chances are if the judges of the competition had been changed there would've been a different outcome.

Maybe not fair but that's just the way it is i'm afraid.

Well done to the 3 winners though. Wish I could've gone to see it.

moncur
28-Jun-07, 17:10
The hall was half empty last night! It used to always be packed!! Why is this?

Why are people allowed to compete in more than 1 band now?

What was the crack with the On Hornes bassist taking the cream puff on their last song and walking off?

Now, I think that the bands who got a place deserved it very much, including Lyle despite not actually being in a band (think about it, he gets £100 to himself rather than share it with 3 or 4 other members of a band!) and it takes a lot of guts for a 14 year old to go up there and perform on his tod.

Cant remember band names too well etc but they bands that were good were VERY good and showed a lot of variation and originality especially Jitz with their techno jazz stylee.

And some bands, although not sounding great, tryed hard to impress and they'll get better as they get older. But some of the bands were just terrible imo. What was the crack with that band with the 'rapper'?

Chobbersjnr
28-Jun-07, 17:15
I remember the hall being jammed as well.................couldn't move, or hear yersel' think

Jeid
28-Jun-07, 17:30
Well done to the bands involved.

The bassist from On Honre walked off because they hadn't planned on playing Home... or so I believe. I get the impression he couldn't be assed with it.

cmack
28-Jun-07, 18:15
yeah kev didn't want to play "home" but we decided we would, because a bunch of fools at the front kept shouting it, so kev just walked off and quit the band because of it lol

Jeid
28-Jun-07, 18:33
Smooth......

zebedy
28-Jun-07, 18:38
i do agree that lyal is an amazing player but he isnt a band and i do dissagree that he gets to take part in it!

Hall being packed, is down to health and safty rules apparently! although i find it wierd how the THS new rector had us gettin it with only tickets but now we can walk in at the door. ( could disagree with alot more what the THS rector has done but thats not for here )

Dont think TWE should have got a place over jitz ( am i allowed to say that being in both bands? lol )

Reason for people being in more than one band moncur is

Who is goin to pay to come see about 3 - 4 bands?
My self last night had to play bass drums and guitar. ( not to keen on guitar kinda bullied into it lol )

Back in the day when i used to come watch bands such as the almighty " VOODOO QUEEN " and that other one Silverstone? lol ( sorry reev )

The hall was packed and there was plenty of musical people around.
Nowadays it seems cooler to be bad ass drinking under age and wearin track suits! than to be a in a rock band! haha

and to on Honre! very well played last night lads!

Mystical Potato Head
28-Jun-07, 19:07
this is LYLE watt here

thanks for the nice comments guys

however zebedy, do you not remember telling me to enter battle of the bands as a solo act when i was in first year?

Nobody has mentioned that they don't think i should be allowed to enter until i won the £100, so why didn't they mention it before?

If people disagree with me being in battle of the bands so much, I won't bother entering next year. I don't need the hassle.

cmack
28-Jun-07, 19:16
this is LYLE watt here

Nobody has mentioned that they don't think i should be allowed to enter until i won the £100, so why didn't they mention it before?

nobody mention it to you before you won.

zebedy
28-Jun-07, 19:27
how ever young sir

you are not a band
The battle of the Bands

Your playin to a professional backing track

im not doubting talent at all

just see the bold

Mystical Potato Head
28-Jun-07, 19:59
All lyle is saying is that nobody complained about him playing in battle of the bands last year,however as soon as he wins £100 the moans start. He just enjoys playing guitar live so why try and deprive him of that by saying he shouldn't be allowed to enter,,he couldnt give a flying you know what about winning or not.

Yes he is playing to a professional backing track but he is playing 12 mins or so of non stop guitar solo which takes a bit of doing,the judges must also agree because lyle has won prizes the last two years with different judges.

They obviously dont have anything against a backing track,JO-Z last track last night was the singer rapping on his own to a BACKING TRACK.so you can rap on your own to a backing track but not play guitar to a backing track,it either is or isnt ok to use backing tracks,make up your mind!Cant complain about one and not the other,kinda sounds like sour grapes when you do that

Jeid
28-Jun-07, 20:29
Hrm, I'm sitting on the fence in this one. Yeah, undoubtedly, Lyle is a talented guitar player, but in all honesty, 12mins of guitar playing to a backing track(as great as the playing is)... it's not exactly 12mins of entertainment. It's 12mins of guitar technique. I always thought that part of Battle Of The Bands was always about the entertainment value... not just the performance.

Lyle is a great guitarist... why doesn't he form a band around his talents? It seems to make more sense.

Well done though.

As for the rapper guy... I think someone missed a C ;)

Mystical Potato Head
28-Jun-07, 21:31
I actually thought the rapper was pretty good,i'm no rap fan nor have much interest in it apart from liking eminem,his lyrics are brilliant,yeah i thought the guy sounded good and he certainly had the right moves man.

The more music genres the better i think.Might even get some country next year.

btw jeid if your into instrumental rock then 12 mins of guitar solo is 12 mins of entertainment,not just technique.Its not great if you dont like it i suppose.One band had a singer i wished would do an instrumental but others obviously liked him,different strokes and all that.

Jeid
28-Jun-07, 22:18
Yeah, I know that... but if you take into consideration that most of the people attending these BOTB's are kids, I think it would be easy to guess that 90% of them are not into guitar solos that last 12mins. I play guitar and after about a minute of a guitar solo, I get bored half to death.

Mystical Potato Head
28-Jun-07, 22:25
I play guitar too and wish i COULD solo for a minute:(

moncur
29-Jun-07, 16:29
Maybe to keep everyone happy next year Lyle should do what yon busker in inverness does and play a drum kit AND play guitar AND sing at the same time!

With one or two of the bands I did wonder why they bothered entering at all, especially when it was Senior pupils getting shown up by 3rd years!

tattoo_tearz
04-Jul-07, 13:23
dont really see the problem with lyle entering these competitions. although i missed this one ive watched his performances at a few concerts including botb last year and based on the crowds reaction each i dont think we really need to worry about crowd percentages and what they are into lol i can understand some peoples point that he is not in a band but he is a music performer, thats good enough for me. lol just call him a one man band.

guitarzan
04-Jul-07, 13:53
i agree with TT on this one.

say for arguments sake that this lad was a bedroom musician and had never jammed with anyone but still wanted an opportunity to showcase his musical talents to the masses, what avenue does he have to do this?

unless you want to implement a "showdown of the solo artists" to go with the "battle of the bands"? twice the organisation and twice the bother...

if it is the fact that he is not a band but he is entering a "battle of the bands" that is bothering people - just change the name of the show - problem solved.

moncur
04-Jul-07, 13:56
just change the name of the show - problem solved.

I say we change it to 'The Hex Factor'!

NB I own copyright to that name blah blah blah

theboysintheband
04-Jul-07, 16:05
If he wasn't entitled to win...then he wouldn't have been allowed to take part. No obections before the crowning!

Sour grapes if u ask me.