PDA

View Full Version : Traveling People & Caravans On Industrial Estate

charlie's lass
22-Jun-07, 11:20
Noticed while out walking my dogs today that there are a load of caravans on the industrial estate in Wick oposite the ambulance depot. Has anybody got any thoughts on these 'travelling people' parking themselves on the industrial estate ( where ther is no facility for running water or toilets)- obviously they are here doing some kind of work like tarring drives, etc - they will be getting paid cash no doubt - they will not be paying income tax, national insurance, they will def not be paying council tax! It makes me sooooooo angry! It would be better if locals did not use these 'cowboys' to do home repairs and then maybe they would go somewhere else with their caravans and dogs and dozens of kids!

Solus
22-Jun-07, 11:38
We had two near us for a few weeks, give them credit they were two young familys, kept the place clean and tidy, got a huge bin from the council to put their rubbish in. So at the time there was no problems, nice folk, clean etc, they even did a job for me which they did and did well.

But................... over the past few days it has now grown to ten caravans, over a dozen transits and such like, two brand new shogun 4 x 4's etc, big ruts in the ground where they have been driving over it all the time, noisy, untidy, rubbish everywhere !!!!

Spoke to one of the lads that did the work for me, and in all honesty he did not know they would turn up, he is planning moving away from this lot as he says " its them that give us a bad name ".

So you have my sympathies !

I do think though that people have got the right to lead their lives the way they like, but not at the cost of harming others or the country.

NickInTheNorth
22-Jun-07, 11:43
Isn't a little tolerance of someone slightly different a wonderful thing :)

corgiman
22-Jun-07, 12:20
surely everyone has a right to their own way of life without being judged so harshly without even being introduced.

charlie's lass
22-Jun-07, 12:37
And Everybody Is Entitled To Their Own Opinion - I Was Only Asking What Other Folk Thought About The Whole Thing! Go Back To Bed And Get Out On The Right Side!

Ricco
22-Jun-07, 12:46
I would like to respond to this thread but in the interests of keeping my orger status I shall keep my lip firmly buttoned. [disgust]

changilass
22-Jun-07, 12:57
Noticed while out walking my dogs today that there are a load of caravans on the industrial estate in Wick oposite the ambulance depot. Has anybody got any thoughts on these 'travelling people' parking themselves on the industrial estate ( where ther is no facility for running water or toilets)- obviously they are here doing some kind of work like tarring drives, etc - they will be getting paid cash no doubt - they will not be paying income tax, national insurance, they will def not be paying council tax!

To put this in context, there are some (not all) folks on the social that don't pay any of these things either and have no intention of working. At least the traveling folks are trying to earn some money.

It makes me sooooooo angry! It would be better if locals did not use these 'cowboys' to do home repairs and then maybe they would go somewhere else with their caravans and dogs and dozens of kids!

I think this is a very generalised statement, to term them all as cowboys, when they may have been doing these jobs for years seems a bit unfair.

If they are true travellers then they will be very clean and tidy up after themselves.

Angela
22-Jun-07, 13:03
I'd be interested in an informed debate on this topic, but I've promised myself not to post my opinions in response to ranting OPs with nothing positive to say. :(

Jeemag_USA
22-Jun-07, 13:24
If they are keeping to one piece of property and are not infringing on personal property of people in towns and they are not causing anyone any personal harm then I can't see a problem with it. If they can live like they do and be happy then more power to them, don't think it matters how many dogs or kids they have. There are people living in council houses with umpteen kids and dogs and I bet sometimes their neighbours wish they would get a caravan and disappear. I think travelling people are good to remind us how intolerant we are as human beings, its just a case of "well they're not like us" so they must be wrong.

NickInTheNorth
22-Jun-07, 13:53
charlie's lass (and anyone else that's interested) for a small insight into the travelling folk in Scotland, and what they have had to put up with from us "civilised" house dwellers over the past half century or so can I heartily recomend reading "The Yellow on the Broom (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Broom-Early-Traveller-Woman/dp/1841581356)" and "Red Rowans and Wild Honey (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rowans-Wild-Honey-Betsy-Whyte/dp/1841580708/ref=pd_sim_b_1/203-0462194-9020764)"

It may just open your eyes (and mind) to what we have inflicted on these harmless folk over the recent past, and maybe make you slightly more tolerant of a vanishing way of life that I for one envy.

Ash
22-Jun-07, 13:56
i really dont see this as a problem, sorry but unless they are doing some real harm like playing music very loud, being drunk and disorderally(which people who have houses do more!) :lol:

burstbucker
22-Jun-07, 14:24
I don't mind them if they keep to themselves, but be warned that if they ask you to tarmac your drive then stay well clear. I learned the hard way.

Liz
22-Jun-07, 14:28
charlie's lass (and anyone else that's interested) for a small insight into the travelling folk in Scotland, and what they have had to put up with from us "civilised" house dwellers over the past half century or so can I heartily recomend reading "The Yellow on the Broom (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Broom-Early-Traveller-Woman/dp/1841581356)" and "Red Rowans and Wild Honey (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rowans-Wild-Honey-Betsy-Whyte/dp/1841580708/ref=pd_sim_b_1/203-0462194-9020764)"

It may just open your eyes (and mind) to what we have inflicted on these harmless folk over the recent past, and maybe make you slightly more tolerant of a vanishing way of life that I for one envy.

These are great books!

I suppose,as in all walks of life. there will be good and bad travelling folk but as long as they are not anti-social I cannot see the problem in allowing them to lead the life they choose.

the nomad
22-Jun-07, 14:44
Noticed while out walking my dogs today that there are a load of caravans on the industrial estate in Wick oposite the ambulance depot. Has anybody got any thoughts on these 'travelling people' parking themselves on the industrial estate ( where ther is no facility for running water or toilets)- obviously they are here doing some kind of work like tarring drives, etc - they will be getting paid cash no doubt - they will not be paying income tax, national insurance, they will def not be paying council tax! It makes me sooooooo angry! It would be better if locals did not use these 'cowboys' to do home repairs and then maybe they would go somewhere else with their caravans and dogs and dozens of kids!

It must be an invasion there's about twenty in a layby at Inshes Inverness, they were also camping up in Milton-of-Leys in Inverness but I complained to council and they were shifted

NickInTheNorth
22-Jun-07, 16:08
shame on you

percy toboggan
22-Jun-07, 16:22
Do their cars have the appropriate tax-discs?

Perhaps they're English / Irish tinkers on holiday. None near us, praise the Lord.
Often dirty, often malevolent and unruly , often leave rubbish behind and many defecate in big bags. Some poor soul has to clear up after them. Of course they're not all like this - just a majority. Think they are a law unto themselves. Often think the world owes them a living, which it most certianly does not. All your balanced comments and praise is very admirable - would you like them at the end of your street? Answer honestly.

cuddlepop
22-Jun-07, 17:01
Promised myself I wouldn't comment but its a bug bare overhere:(
New houses up for rent
Travelling people arrive on mass a few months before
We have the first bloke of houses available for rent soon and guess what?

It happens time and time again and they put the tourist off from stopping in our lay bys.

Surely a proper camp is whats called for but then again true travelling people dont want housed so whats going on.:confused

emszxr
22-Jun-07, 17:26
Promised myself I wouldn't comment but its a bug bare overhere:(
New houses up for rent
Travelling people arrive on mass a few months before
We have the first bloke of houses available for rent soon and guess what?

It happens time and time again and they put the tourist off from stopping in our lay bys.

Surely a proper camp is whats called for but then again true travelling people dont want housed so whats going on.:confused

yeh i always remember seeing them in skye when i used to deliver there. i was in skye last weekend and sure enough they are still up there. the lay by just north of broadford at the graveyard is a favourite

Lavenderblue2
22-Jun-07, 17:28

Oh yes Nick - the books you mention and many others like them that I have read since really opened my eyes to the way of life of the travelling folk. I just love to read them all. Do look out for Jess Smith's books and Last of the Tinsmiths by Sheila Douglas and what about The Summer Walkers. The true travelling folk are not bad at all.

LB

cuddlepop
22-Jun-07, 17:37
yeh i always remember seeing them in skye when i used to deliver there. i was in skye last weekend and sure enough they are still up there. the lay by just north of broadford at the graveyard is a favourite
New houses built in Broadford will be released for rental soon.:roll:

souperman
22-Jun-07, 19:50
I think it was the late Bernard Manning who said " Getting travelling folk to move on....isn`t that just playing into their hands" ?

EDDIE
22-Jun-07, 23:16
When u look at the price of a house and bills it makes you think who has the right idea?
I have no problem with travelling people everyone has the right to live there own life there own way.But they still have to be held acountable for the mess they leave behind thats whats giving them a bad name

Solus
23-Jun-07, 01:30
I have no problem with travelling people everyone has the right to live there own life there own way.But they still have to be held acountable for the mess they leave behind thats whats giving them a bad name

Nor I , but as i witnessed this past ten days or so, is that there is two very obvious types, ( types may not be the right word ) First we had two caravans, they were two young couples, both with toddlers, turn up. They were very pleasant, clean and chatty, they were supplied by the council with a large wheely bin and a portaloo cabin which they used and in general kept the place as they found it. I got speaking to the lads of a evening when i was out with the dogs and i needed some work done, we haggled a price explained exactly what i wanted ( front garden cleared , liner and gravel ) they even asked what size of gravel i wanted. Turned up as promised on time, did the job and cleaned up, asked if i was happy before asking for cash.

But over the past three days 8 more caravans turned up, and what very different folk they are !! Poles with tv ariels all over, generators running all the time, dogs tied up barking, a real mess. On top of that, rather then use the portaloo they were also given they decided to use the hedge that borders the path and through the woods as their toilet area with you can imagine what, tissues, nappys etc. Five were later seen to be walking around the streets in the area about 1am snooping around the place.
This has immediatly got the back up on all the folk living around them , me included and rightly so. Even the first two that turned up are embaressed and offered apologise when i saw them last night, saying they had no idea they would turn up nor expected them, going on to add " its the likes of them that do use no favours". How right he was, initially we were concerned when they turned up, but i think when people saw them taking the time to keep the place clean, try not to upset anyone and try to turn a buck or two, they backed off and sat on the fence a bit.
Thankfully 5 caravans left today, i think partly down to pressure from the others and partly to a local news story about some travels and a fraud case.

So it goes to show there are two types, at opposite ends of the spectrum and if they all acted like that two young couples then people would be far more tolerant of them.

percy toboggan
23-Jun-07, 09:09
Your news seems to back up my feeling/instinct/experience that the majority of them are a problem then.I hope they all pack up and leave. I'm sure you'll be relieved when they all go, gravel or no gravel, good or bad.

Solus
23-Jun-07, 11:38
No Percy i hope they all dont leave, just the ones that are making the mess. The two young couples should stay and show everyone else that there are some good travelling folk !

docker
23-Jun-07, 13:02
I didn’t realise that the Guardian had such a large circulation in Caithness, give it a rest you Liberal-left lot.

JimH
23-Jun-07, 14:05
Reading these posts shows the different views from different peoples.
It is important not to confuse the Tinker, Didicoy, etc with the original Gipsy.
THe original Gipsy was clean and welcome in most country areas, to do the odd jobs etc, which they always did well. They always had pitches and always left the site as they found it. They also had there share of rogues.
The modern tinker type traveller is out to make a free buck. They do make a mess, and we have to pay to clean it up. AS with all peoples, there is good and bad, but they are very clever at ignoring planning rules, and anything else they do not like, and it is amazing how many don't understand when you try to give them guidance, as to cleaning up etc. You will also find that the majority of Tinkers on mainland Britain are from Ireland. You will also find them to be well off.
There are still a few real Gipsies about, that live by there own standards, which put ours to shame, but don't confuse them with anything else.

MadPict
23-Jun-07, 14:29

I think the modern day 'travellers' are far removed from the 'romantic' image of folk in their bow topped horse drawn caravan that are probably depicted in the books you link to. Sure, they may have had a hard life, but so did a lot of other people back at the start of the 1900's.

The modern day travellers that flock to this region (the south east) are usually Irish and they drag their massive mobile homes with them. They park illegally on any land they can gain access to and stay until the owners have sought injunctions to get them kicked off. They think nothing of breaking down gates to fields or land. When asked how they got onto the land they lie stating the gate was open or already broken down.

They do their cut price jobs in the local area, be it hedge trimming or resurfacing drives or other 'odd jobs', and dump the rubbish/spoil on the land they are squatting on. This then has to be cleared by the land owner at considerable cost to themselves.

Burnt out stolen cars litter the fields around the nearest 'permanent' traveller site to me - the police follow the drivers but tend to give up if they run off into the encampment.
You can usually tell if there is a traveller convoy in the area as the instances of flytipping increase.

They have no thought for anyone. Little wonder they are disliked by those who live in houses.

And what is wrong with life in Ireland? Plenty of visitors go to Ireland on holiday!

While I have no issue with someone wishing to follow an alternative lifestyle be it as a new age traveller or as a 'traditional Romany' unfortunately the few that do it with consideration to the communities they transit through are given a bad name, and therefore a cold shoulder or worse, by the majority of these groups who take plenty but seem to give nothing in return.[disgust]