PDA

View Full Version : journeysharecaithness

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 08:19
http://www.journeysharecaithness.co.uk/

is any one else having probs logging into this web site ??

trinkie
22-Jun-07, 08:27
Yes Paul - I am having problems with it too.

Trinkie

Sandra_B
22-Jun-07, 08:28
Just tried it, it didn't work for me either.

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 08:33
i have sent an email to bill fernie about it

Colin Manson
22-Jun-07, 09:28
I don't think that'll help unless bill is the server administrator and since he doesn't work for http://www.fasthosts.co.uk I think you can be pretty sure that he wont be able to help.

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 09:39
hi colin i thought it was my computer playing up again but other users are having the same probs

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 09:51
seems to be working ok now

Ricco
22-Jun-07, 12:49
I think this sort of idea is really good; its been going in Canada since I was a kid. I have been registered with the Berkshire one for some four months now but have not found anyone to offer a lift share with. :eek:

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 14:53
i am looking for some one to give me a lift to wick next wednesday and friday ??

Billy Boy
22-Jun-07, 15:17
i am looking for some one to give me a lift to wick next wednesday and friday ??

shouldnt you be asking that in the journeyshare web site lol :confused

Mr P Cannop
22-Jun-07, 15:37
any caithness.org users using this ??

Solus
22-Jun-07, 17:49
Anything to do with car sharing is good but, i cant access the site to have a proper read about it.

Only thing that i can see happening is that it may become a taxi service for those without a car, who would usually use public transport to get to their destination, to jump in someones car going the same way. Saving a penny or two, save waiting for a bus and travel in relative comfort.

Or am i just being to cynical ?

Another thing that may crop up is what would the insurance company think about it ?

DeHaviLand
23-Jun-07, 00:51
Your insurance company isnt going to mind unless you're doing it for "hire or reward". This specifically excludes someone sharing the costs, so theres no problem.

Royster1911
02-Jul-07, 09:53
Anything to do with car sharing is good but, i cant access the site to have a proper read about it.

Only thing that i can see happening is that it may become a taxi service for those without a car, who would usually use public transport to get to their destination, to jump in someones car going the same way. Saving a penny or two, save waiting for a bus and travel in relative comfort.

Or am i just being to cynical ?

Another thing that may crop up is what would the insurance company think about it ?

Here is the answer to your concern.
On the question about car insurance for lift sharers, the strictly legal position is that passengers are passengers, whether or not they are contributing to fuel costs. How drivers and passengers get in touch with each other is irrelevant – it would be exactly the same if someone had put up a small ad for a lift on a community noticeboard, or had simply knocked on a neighbour’s door to ask for a lift.

It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure their car is covered by valid insurance, but there is nothing special about liftshare passengers compared to any others – and all normal insurance policies (including third party only) cover full liability for passengers along with the driver. There are no legal complications so long as any payments are only contributions towards a fair share of the running costs, so that the journey cannot be construed as being run for ‘hire or reward’.

There is a general statement on various Liftshare sites, usually worded as follows (this one is from the Norfolk Liftshare site):
What are the insurance implications of liftsharing?
"Participating in the liftshare scheme will not invalidate drivers' motor insurance", says Vic Rance of the Association of British Insurers.
"Drivers in doubt should contact their insurers".
Sharing cars and sharing the cost should not increase your insurance costs, though charging passengers more than their share of the running cost can invalidate your cover.
If you would like to contact your insurance company, please feel free to use our Draft Letter (http://www.liftshare.org/download/letter.htm).
Please let me know if there are any further questions you feel are not covered by this note.

DeHaviLand
03-Jul-07, 00:17
Here is the answer to your concern.
On the question about car insurance for lift sharers, the strictly legal position is that passengers are passengers, whether or not they are contributing to fuel costs. How drivers and passengers get in touch with each other is irrelevant – it would be exactly the same if someone had put up a small ad for a lift on a community noticeboard, or had simply knocked on a neighbour’s door to ask for a lift.

It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure their car is covered by valid insurance, but there is nothing special about liftshare passengers compared to any others – and all normal insurance policies (including third party only) cover full liability for passengers along with the driver. There are no legal complications so long as any payments are only contributions towards a fair share of the running costs, so that the journey cannot be construed as being run for ‘hire or reward’.

There is a general statement on various Liftshare sites, usually worded as follows (this one is from the Norfolk Liftshare site):
What are the insurance implications of liftsharing?
"Participating in the liftshare scheme will not invalidate drivers' motor insurance", says Vic Rance of the Association of British Insurers.
"Drivers in doubt should contact their insurers".
Sharing cars and sharing the cost should not increase your insurance costs, though charging passengers more than their share of the running cost can invalidate your cover.
If you would like to contact your insurance company, please feel free to use our Draft Letter (http://www.liftshare.org/download/letter.htm).
Please let me know if there are any further questions you feel are not covered by this note.

Isn't that exactly what I said in the previous post, though I will admit to being a tad more economical with my words.