PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland & Sinclair

Dianne
22-Jun-07, 01:42
Looking for connections to Archibald Cook Sutherland, plasterer, who married 7 Dec. 1865 at Tomrick Parish of Lairg, age 30yrs.
usual residence Achngorde?? Parish of Latheron
a Barbara Munro age 28 Tomrick Parish of Lairg.

Would like to know more of Archibald's parents: father:William Sutherland, tenant, who was deceased at the time of his marriage.
Mother: Janet Sutherland nee Sinclair.

Also William S. & Janet Sinclairs siblings & also Archibalds siblings.

Barbara Munro's parents were: George Munro, tenant, & May Munro M.S. Johnson.
Plse can someone help.
thanks Dianne

Dianne
16-Aug-07, 04:08
Further to my first posting I now have the death record of Janet Sutherland M.S. Sinclair who was the wife of William Sutherland Crofter & Fisherman.
Janet died 1/1/1890 in the Parish of Latheron..age: 95yrs. widow, where died looks like Carroy, Dunbeath. Father: Archibald Sinclair. ag. lab., deceased. Mother: Ann Sinclair M.S. Bruce..deceased. William Sinclair..son-in-law, Carroy, Dunbeath...informant.

I would love to know more about William Sutherland , Janet's husband, his siblings & parents. Refer posting above. They had a son Archibald who must have been born c.1835.
Plse help if you can.

thankyou, Dianne

fred
16-Aug-07, 18:03
Further to my first posting I now have the death record of Janet Sutherland M.S. Sinclair who was the wife of William Sutherland Crofter & Fisherman.
Janet died 1/1/1890 in the Parish of Latheron..age: 95yrs. widow, where died looks like Carroy, Dunbeath. Father: Archibald Sinclair. ag. lab., deceased. Mother: Ann Sinclair M.S. Bruce..deceased. William Sinclair..son-in-law, Carroy, Dunbeath...informant.

I would love to know more about William Sutherland , Janet's husband, his siblings & parents. Refer posting above. They had a son Archibald who must have been born c.1835.
Plse help if you can.

thankyou, Dianne

She died 15th of April not 1st of January according to her grave stone.

Erected by Catherine Sutherland Dunedin New Zealand in memory of her beloved father.
William Sutherland, farmer of Achnagoul Latheronwheel, died 18th September 1856 aged 56.
Wife Janet Sinclair died 15th April 1890 aged 95.
In loving memory of.
Williamina Sutherland of Garroy died at Dunbeath 6th Febuary 1913 aged 74.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/lath-old/frames.htm grave 182.

Dianne
17-Aug-07, 01:40
Hi & many thanks for your help Fred.
My reply vanished into thin air..so will try again.

Thanks to your effort I now know William Sutherland & Janet M.S. Sinclair had a least three children. Archibald born c1835, Catherine b.?, both of whom came out to New Zealand. Also Williamina S. of Garroy who died in Dunbeath 1918 born c.1839. Also their correct date of death.

I wonder if they also had a Christina b. c1838, Dunbeath or perhaps she was a cousin, who also came to NZ abt 1867.

Would you know where Achngorde/Achngoul, & Carroy are..I gather they are in Parish of Latheron. Would you have any idea who William Sutherland's parents were & may be buried.

It's getting exciting!!

Many, many thanks,
Di

fred
17-Aug-07, 12:01
Hi & many thanks for your help Fred.
My reply vanished into thin air..so will try again.

Thanks to your effort I now know William Sutherland & Janet M.S. Sinclair had a least three children. Archibald born c1835, Catherine b.?, both of whom came out to New Zealand. Also Williamina S. of Garroy who died in Dunbeath 1918 born c.1839. Also their correct date of death.

I wonder if they also had a Christina b. c1838, Dunbeath or perhaps she was a cousin, who also came to NZ abt 1867.

Would you know where Achngorde/Achngoul, & Carroy are..I gather they are in Parish of Latheron. Would you have any idea who William Sutherland's parents were & may be buried.

It's getting exciting!!

Many, many thanks,
Di

They had a few more than three children eight or nine I would think.

There is a submitted IGI record for Archibald born 20th of August 1831 but I can find no trace on the census returns.

They did have a daughter Christina who was 16 on the 1851 census.

They had a son Henry who married a Margaret Sutherland on the 15th Jun 1860 at Dunbeath Latheron Henry aged 32 Margaret 24 and had a daughter Johan 2 weeks old on the 1861 census.

They had a daughter Annie who died on the 8th of January 1894 and is buried in the next grave to William and Janet, http://www.graven-images.org.uk/lath-old/frames.htm grave 183, headstone erected by Williamina.

You can find the 1841 and 1851 census returns for Latheron at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Achnagoule and Garroy are north of Dunbeath.

Dianne
17-Aug-07, 22:59
Fred...thank you once again. It all seems to be adding up .
Thanks for FreeCen. Have two families 1841 census with William & Janet (parents) one with Christina, 2, Shinvall, & 1 with a James, 3mths Achnagoule. Related??
Another question please, where is Shinvall. Thanks for telling me that Achnagoule & Garroy are north of Dunbeath.

Believe Catherine who erected MI 182 for her father Wm S. died in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1909 aged 82yrs,unmarried with a 51yr old son at the time of her death.

Catherine also erected a Headstone for her brothers James died 1871, 29, William died 1901, 56, Archibald Cook Sutherland died 1876, 40 & his wife Barbara nee Munro died 1878, 40.
Archibald & Barbara had a son, George Alexander Douglas Sutherland born June 1872 who went to live with Christina & her husband after his parents died.

Any ideas Fred where I might find William Sutherland snr's parents.

Have printed everything you have given me...thrilled to bits.
Di

fred
18-Aug-07, 13:38
Fred...thank you once again. It all seems to be adding up .
Thanks for FreeCen. Have two families 1841 census with William & Janet (parents) one with Christina, 2, Shinvall, & 1 with a James, 3mths Achnagoule. Related??
Another question please, where is Shinvall. Thanks for telling me that Achnagoule & Garroy are north of Dunbeath.

Believe Catherine who erected MI 182 for her father Wm S. died in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1909 aged 82yrs,unmarried with a 51yr old son at the time of her death.

Catherine also erected a Headstone for her brothers James died 1871, 29, William died 1901, 56, Archibald Cook Sutherland died 1876, 40 & his wife Barbara nee Munro died 1878, 40.
Archibald & Barbara had a son, George Alexander Douglas Sutherland born June 1872 who went to live with Christina & her husband after his parents died.

Any ideas Fred where I might find William Sutherland snr's parents.

Have printed everything you have given me...thrilled to bits.
Di

Shinvall is close to the Latheron Thurso road just north of Loch Rangag, it is unlikely there is a connection, Sutherland is by far the most common name in Caithness.

I wish you luck in finding Williams parents, there were a lot of William Sutherlands born in the area about that time and you will have a problem deciding which one is yours, if any, the records are not complete.

One clue is Archibald Cook, who Archibald Cook Sutherland was almost certainly named after. He was the Minister at Bruen till 1836 when he was transferred to Daviot Inverness. He was a native Gaelic speaker and very popular, people walked miles to hear him preach, Ministers then were like pop stars today. I doubt they would have travelled from Dunbeath though especially as the Rev. Davidson at Latheron was also a very good Minister and a gaelic speaker. I would say that William was part of the movement which founded the Free Presbyterian Church around that time and probably knew Archibald Cook personally, the Rev. Davidson was also involved in the movement.

There is a lot of information available on the web about the early Free Church days I'd do some searches and try to find some connections. Archibald's wife Barbera could well be connected to the Rev. John Munro who was Minister of Halkirk and born in Ross-shire. William could well be connected to William Sutherland of Braemore who was Catechrist at Latheron. It's a long shot based on a flimsy proposition that because Archibald was named after Archibald Cook his parents were part of the deeply religious circle of people involved in the founding of Free Church around that time but it's worth looking into.

Dianne
20-Aug-07, 02:23
Hi again Fred,

Found your last posting extremely interesting. You are a mine of information.
Spent most of yesterday googling for Archibald Cook, Minister but am afraid didn't find much except a couple of lines in Memoribillia Domestica, which I became completely engrossed with. What a wonderful history.

Thankyou for telling me where Shinvall is & your thoughts that it is inlikely there is a connection to those Sutherlands. Didn't know Ministers in those days were so popular...Always thought their preaching was more fire & brimstone!!

Know what you mean about William Sutherlands. Have been searching for years for William Sutherland who married Christina Sutherland formerly Sutherland & had a daughter Christina born Dunbeath c1835.

It amazed how far the Ministers were sent back in early 1800's. Also noted your thoughts that William could be related to William Sutherland of Braeburn & Archibald's wife Barbara to Rev. John Munro, Minister of Halkirk.

.Your time & knowledge shared, are greatly appreciated Fred.
regards,
Di

fred
20-Aug-07, 08:50
Found your last posting extremely interesting. You are a mine of information.
Spent most of yesterday googling for Archibald Cook, Minister but am afraid didn't find much except a couple of lines in Memoribillia Domestica, which I became completely engrossed with. What a wonderful history.

Try http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/mam.htm

fred
20-Aug-07, 12:37
It amazed how far the Ministers were sent back in early 1800's. Also noted your thoughts that William could be related to William Sutherland of Braeburn & Archibald's wife Barbara to Rev. John Munro, Minister of Halkirk.

William Sutherland of Braemore is buried at Braemore cemetry died 2nd May 1810 aged 62, his wife Jean Gunn died 5th Jan 1811 aged 92. The stone was erected by their son James.

Dianne
22-Aug-07, 02:38
Hello Fred,

Again my special thanks, both for the wonderful site you gave me re Ministers & Men, fascinating.....have saved it to my favorites as I want to read it all, & also for William Sutherland's date & place of buriel. as well as the fact that it was erected by their son James.

Will keep reading & searching for all I can find & because of your help know I will learn more.

Regards,
Di