PDA

View Full Version : help hair loss

GEORGE123
21-Jun-07, 22:02
At the moment i am going through a period of hair lose and thinking about a wig,please help me with my concerns?

If you suffered from hair loss due to illness would you purchase a wig.

How much would you consider resonable to pay for a wig?

Would you have it styled to your own hair style.

How much would you pay for it to be styled.

Would you prefer to have it fitted in a shop or in a private room in a house.

horseman
21-Jun-07, 22:09
You sound well concerned,and I bet there are lots of experts on this site will advise you, best of luck :)

johno
21-Jun-07, 22:16
Hi,i take it that you are a male, if so i wouldnt bother with a wig.
I have a full head of hair but if i were to start losing it i would just shave the lot off. most blokes are like that nowadays anyway .Guy,s i know who are wearing wigs look so bloody stupid with the rug on & it,s quite obvious so why go to all the bother & expense.
However if you are a female well that,s a different ball game altogether.
guess its up to you in the end.

[para]

Jeemag_USA
21-Jun-07, 22:17
Personally if it was me, I would let it go, I thought about this before and I think if I started to lose my hair I would ust go for a buzz cut and keep it short. I think no matter how good a wig you get people can always tell and I'd hate the thought of people snickering behind my back. I'd rather be bald and proud of it.

Margaret M.
21-Jun-07, 22:32
I'm with the others -- guys are so lucky in that they look fine with no hair. If I lost my hair, I would definitely get a wig or two. Have you checked with your doctor about the hair loss? It could be caused by a thyroid problem among other things.

DeHaviLand
21-Jun-07, 22:32
If you're male, take the razor to it. I did and have never regretted it.
May be different if you're female, but Gail Porter is still a sexy looking woman.:)

GEORGE123
21-Jun-07, 22:40
I am Female

anneoctober
21-Jun-07, 22:41
sorry to hear about your hair loss & situation George123. Well done for having the courage to post your message on the forum, I know that I would n't be as brave.
As a lady, I would seriously consider a wig & would have it styled as my natural cut but possibly try a different colour. I'd much prefer this all to happen in the privacy of my own home and as for styling cost, I'd have thought £25 reasonable.
If you are a gent, then I have to agree with Johno & Jeemag. Men are able to carry this off much better than us vain ladies. Ladies are cool with baldness ! Give us a smile and we're putty in their hands ;) xx

GEORGE123
21-Jun-07, 22:42
Also i have seen a relativie with a wig,she is older and she has a wig exactly like her onw hair wouldnt know it was a wig

orkneylass
21-Jun-07, 22:45
Hi - I do think it is harder as a female. With wigs I think you get what you pay for and imagine you would have to pay over £250 for a really good one. the alternative is to get artistic with hats and headscarves and just be yourself at home. Are you concerned about how you see yourself or about other people's reactions? This must be a really hard time for you, I hope you have good support at home.

EDDIE
21-Jun-07, 23:21
Hi,i take it that you are a male, if so i wouldnt bother with a wig.
I have a full head of hair but if i were to start losing it i would just shave the lot off. most blokes are like that nowadays anyway .Guy,s i know who are wearing wigs look so bloody stupid with the rug on & it,s quite obvious so why go to all the bother & expense.
However if you are a female well that,s a different ball game altogether.
guess its up to you in the end.

[para]

I agree with john

Fran
22-Jun-07, 02:37
I put a post up about hair loss, see ..for men only...... and i feel very sorry for anyone loosing their hair, it can be very depressing. Nowadays wigs are very good and there are a lot of lotions on the market, or better still from your gp which can help hair growth. I think if i was unfortunate to loose my hair I would wear a wig but its all to personal choice.
As you are loosing your hair through illness you can get a wig on the NHS. If you have cancer which is causing hair loss you can get a wig from the macmillan nurses.

Ricco
22-Jun-07, 08:04
Personally, my hair loss started some years ago. I still have a reasonable amount but it did worry me then. Nowadays I just go down for a number 3 all over - its cooler anyway. ;)

I would never wear a wig - it is obvious and the object of much ridicule. Shave that cranium, sir! :D

Liz
22-Jun-07, 14:23
I saw some lovely ladies wigs on Ideal World (TV channel or Website) which looked really natural and were very reasonably priced.

If you have lost your hair due to cancer treatment Trevor Sorbie has set up a charity to help ladies get good ,natural looking, wigs as those provided by the NHS can look awful and do nothing for your morale.

Good luck GEORGE123.

Liz
22-Jun-07, 14:30
www.trevorsorbie.com and click on 'My New Hair'.:D

Ash
22-Jun-07, 14:40
a relative of mine lost her hair and it was hard at first but she got a wig that is so like her natural hair, and it doesnt look like a wig..... if ur confident about losing your hair then dont hide it, u get some cool bandanas out their.... if ur not tho why not get a wig, if it was me i would as maybe at 1st id feel like i was being stared at but i bet u no decent human being would say anything

good luck !!!:D