PDA

View Full Version : Foot and Mouth and the Kyoto Agreement

Rheghead
25-Jun-05, 17:45
I had to break my silence to bring you an amusing and interesting story

Some years ago, I learnt that heathland and moorland would turn back to woodland if grazing animals were taken off the land. So during the 2001 Foot and Mouth outbreak, I started off a conspiracy theory that the F&M was started off deliberately by government agents so that the Dept of the Environment could justify any increased CO2 emission quotas under Kyoto because former grazing land was now going to be used as a CO2 sink(woodland). I was deadly serous in my delivery of this theory down in the pub and I was surprised how many thought that I was being serious. I lived in Cumbria at the time, an area seriously affected by F&M and where there are a lot of hillfarmers who rear sheep, I guess that because they saw themselves as pawns in an international situation they were more prepared to believe in this theory. :evil

However, this story has taken a new twist because I believe that there is going to be a satellite that is designed to measure the amount of woodland in countries so they could now justify CO2 emissions if they have sufficient CO2 sinks!!
I must be ahead of my time or somebody in authority had taken my bait hook line and sinker? :)

However the hill farmers are fighting back to justify their existence under the Kyoto agreement,see below

Sheep answer to Kyoto emissions?? (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1424428.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery)

Sheep wee eh? And I thought I was extracting it, someone else is doing a better job though! :lol:

champagnebaby
25-Jun-05, 21:11
Ahhh you just couldn't resist coming back on the boards eh?!?!?! [lol]

i wondered if you'd manage it all summer being the serial poster you are, sorry that should be were :D

cullbucket
25-Jun-05, 21:21
Welcome Back

Rheghead
26-Jun-05, 01:14
Welcome Back

At least someone appreciates me, thanks cullbucket, should I start a poll off to see if it would be warmly appreciated if I returned fulltime? :D

crayola
26-Jun-05, 01:50
Tha sinn cho g̣rach ris na h-ẹin
Wassat mean then eh? R u spekin irish? :confused

Foot n mooth was caused by greedy farmers breakin all e rules feedin coos n movin em aboot an at.

mareng
26-Jun-05, 07:30
Tha sinn cho g̣rach ris na h-ẹin
Wassat mean then eh? R u spekin irish? :confused

Foot n mooth was caused by greedy farmers breakin all e rules feedin coos n movin em aboot an at.

Written at ten to one in the morning? - just wait until the farming community log on this morning!

crayola
26-Jun-05, 11:59
Nooo, not feeding coos! Was confusin foot n mooth wi mad coo BSE. :eyes

Illegal cattle movement in Cumbria during foot n mooth was rampant. Friends living there saw it, parents holidaying there saw it, farmers admitted it to friends & parents. Claimed they needed to break the law to make money. They paid in the end. So did the coos. So did we :(

Rheghead
26-Jun-05, 19:22
I have to admit seeing illegal stock movements in Cumbria as well. There were a number of farmers who were positively seeking contamination inorder to gain compensation just to get out of the farming trade. However those small number tainted the reputation of the the vast majority of good intentioned farmers.

BTW it is a Gaelic proverb which means 'We are as thoughtless as the birds.' it often referred to the behavior of children.

scotsman
26-Jun-05, 19:27
:lol: lol......i seen wiser eating grass!.....n cleaner too.....lol scots :cool: